Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Mar 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3717566)   #826
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
At the risk of further upsetting bauble , there is a thread on the F1 forum about 90s cars. During the discussion the problems in running anything not 'current' were mentioned, especially in relation to computer hardware and software, which the original team may not pass on for whatever reason......
Old 9 Mar 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3717568)   #827
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
This is more up Bob's street- he probably remembers the building!

It's an interesting story- http://www.harrismccormack.co.uk/archaus/
Old 9 Mar 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3717578)   #828
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
At the risk of further upsetting bauble , there is a thread on the F1 forum about 90s cars. During the discussion the problems in running anything not 'current' were mentioned, especially in relation to computer hardware and software, which the original team may not pass on for whatever reason......
So the answer is to get the original team to race them as part of the show.

Apprentices in the pit crew, reserve drivers and any possible "local" talent as the drivers ... use it as a training scheme.

Short sprints (around 50km?), one car per team.

One tyre choice. No planned pit stops.

There are many years worth of cars out there (potentially) so it may be possible to run a different "period" at different GPs.

Period would have to be related to technical specs in some way but I would guess one could probably come up with something like a 4 or 5 year window of approximate equivalance - so maybe 4 or 5 "windows" of cars that otherwise will never be likely to run again - even if, like BOSS, the engine and other components are considerably different to original spec in many cases.

If the teams were paid to run as part of the "show" it might be a way to achieve continuity of interest across the modern generations and keep people "connected" to the F1 brand.

Then we can all get on with "proper" historic racing.

Old 9 Mar 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3717591)   #829
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
So the answer is to get the original team to race them as part of the show.

Apprentices in the pit crew, reserve drivers and any possible "local" talent as the drivers ... use it as a training scheme.

Short sprints (around 50km?), one car per team.

One tyre choice. No planned pit stops.

There are many years worth of cars out there (potentially) so it may be possible to run a different "period" at different GPs.

Period would have to be related to technical specs in some way but I would guess one could probably come up with something like a 4 or 5 year window of approximate equivalance - so maybe 4 or 5 "windows" of cars that otherwise will never be likely to run again - even if, like BOSS, the engine and other components are considerably different to original spec in many cases.

If the teams were paid to run as part of the "show" it might be a way to achieve continuity of interest across the modern generations and keep people "connected" to the F1 brand.

Then we can all get on with "proper" historic racing.

I'll leave that with you Grant. Have you got Chase Carey's e.mail?
Old 9 Mar 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3717610)   #830
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I'll leave that with you Grant. Have you got Chase Carey's e.mail?
I think we should just let it rest here.

Then, when they spot it and get around to doing it, TenTenths.com can claim the rights to the concept and seek some funding and an "association" with F1 as a partner of some sort.

That should help fund the forum nicely and I'm sure a little backwater can be found for us to continue participating in Delta's Tea Break.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 00:18 (Ref:3717635)   #831
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

When that was a Little Chef, that used to be my regular breakfast stop on the way to Donington (A14/A45, A1, A606, A6006 & A6) before they opened the A14 link road.

And Grant, it was one of those meetings you mention earlier that tridered my interest in historic racing - some time in the mid/late 80s I turned up at Donington for a British Saloon Car meeting, went in the old main entrance at Coppice and was met by the sights & sounds of GT40s, B8s etc. Instantly hooked.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3717686)   #832
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
When that was a Little Chef, that used to be my regular breakfast stop on the way to Donington.
It's good to see significant buildings being brought back into use, even if not as a cafe.

Talking of A roads, when dualling the last stretch of the A11 to Snetterton was being discussed on here, thoughts were that the 5 ways roundabout at Barton Mills would still be a congestion spot. Well guess what.......

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/...bout-1-7859307

Talk about sticking plaster job- really pees me off!
Old 10 Mar 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3717718)   #833
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I not only remember the Little Chef but also drank in it when it was a pub. Gives my age away however.

Pete Richards
Old 10 Mar 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3717719)   #834
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's good to see significant buildings being brought back into use, even if not as a cafe.

Talking of A roads, when dualling the last stretch of the A11 to Snetterton was being discussed on here, thoughts were that the 5 ways roundabout at Barton Mills would still be a congestion spot. Well guess what.......

Got a long way to go before it catches up with the almost constant changes to the Black Cat roundabout on the A!.

Pete Richards
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3717813)   #835
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember the Busy Bee at Watford on the by-pass where the local 'Ton-up Boys' were wont to put a record on the jukebox and try and tear up to the next roundabout and back before it finished. It was also a favoured 'pit stop' for cyclists, a cup of coffee and a bacon sarnie helping get one home on a cold winter evening out training. The last time I passed by it was an up-market rest-your-auntie rejoicing in the name, The Beehive.

Me and my mate Eric knew every café between Barnet and Silverstone back in the '50's.

Happy days when Grand Prix cars had the engine in front of the driver, and did not have rolling over bars.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3717819)   #836
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just heard very sad news that John Surtees has passed away this afternoon.

Do they do posthumous knighthoods?
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3717820)   #837
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I remember the Busy Bee at Watford on the by-pass where the local 'Ton-up Boys' were wont to put a record on the jukebox and try and tear up to the next roundabout and back before it finished. It was also a favoured 'pit stop' for cyclists, a cup of coffee and a bacon sarnie helping get one home on a cold winter evening out training. The last time I passed by it was an up-market rest-your-auntie rejoicing in the name, The Beehive.

Me and my mate Eric knew every café between Barnet and Silverstone back in the '50's.

Happy days when Grand Prix cars had the engine in front of the driver, and did not have rolling over bars.
It had become a pub by the 70s, going through numerous incarnations over the years.

Just along the A41 was a hotel - the old name of which escapes me at the moment - but in the 50s, to which my mum and dad took us on hot summers' days to swim in the pool that they had at the back. That pool disappeared many moons ago, along with the owner had for some reason was rather clumsy with lighted matches, the place burning down at least twice that I can remember!
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3717821)   #838
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Just heard very sad news that John Surtees has passed away this afternoon.

Do they do posthumous knighthoods?
I have a sneaky feeling that he may have turned down the opportunity to be knighted. Apart from his tremendous skills, he was the most self-effacing chap that you could have hoped to have met. And unfortunately, knighthoods die along with the bearer.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3717835)   #839
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We could admire him on a bike at Montlhéry during a demo (may be riding a Manx but not sure) 15 years ago I guess. Really an angel on wheels. Respect.
Robert may be you can find a picture from him while driving/rdiing please?
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3717842)   #840
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There is a thread started for John in the Tributes Forum if anyone wants to post their thoughts there.

Certainly we will never see his like again.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3717856)   #841
bauble
Veteran

England
Perfect place for a John Surtees Tribute, here on the Historic thread.

I have an interview I recorded with John several years ago, and as has been said a self-effacing chap, very friendly, and quite happy to chat to a regional broadcaster, a privilege to have met him.

But of course as a rider & driver he had few peers.

Gerard; Pictures from the internet non-attributed.
Attached Thumbnails
John-Surtees-Aboard-The-MV-Agusta--1024x768.jpg   john-surtees-agusta-mv.jpg  
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3717860)   #842
bauble
Veteran

England
One of my own;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2604.JPG  
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3717867)   #843
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Perfect place for a John Surtees Tribute, here on the Historic thread.
I'm not disagreeing! The man is well deserving of 3 threads......

And thanks for finding the pics.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3717888)   #844
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alex (MiniMM) met him at the British Karting Championship (Super 1) at Buckmore Park, the circuit he took over, last year. JS just wandered into a random awning and started chatting. This wasn't a plush team awning either, just a lad and dad 3*3 pop up. JS was as interested in us at the bottom of the tree as the top.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Mar 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3717895)   #845
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Been testing all day at Silverstonec. Gutted to hear the news . RIP John Surtees . A true legend.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3717901)   #846
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Merci pour les photos Robert.
What a style, hard to find such a mix of efficiency and elegance. Unforgettable.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3717939)   #847
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One of my own;
That picture is an absolute gem, wish I'd taken it. Where and when please?
Old 11 Mar 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3717961)   #848
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
That picture is an absolute gem, wish I'd taken it. Where and when please?
Official opening of the 'Wing' at Silverstone;

Can you identify all of the group? Not sure I can although one or two faces look familiar.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...iEbyoaxHpvcIA5

Feel free to download anything you want, and thank you for your nice comments.

Cheers,

Bob.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3717965)   #849
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Bob that link is giving 'Error 404 page not found' to me.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3717981)   #850
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

I thought traffic lights were compulsory on all roundabouts these days.

This, surely, is just correcting a planning officer's error in omission. I expect the person has been promoted to get them out of the way.
Closed Thread