Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jan 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1194586)   #26
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The issue isn't talent going from CART/IRL to NASCAR (although John Andretti could've continued to win races in the old CART days, not to mention Tony Stewart), it's that the guys winning the US junior championships are never really getting a sniff at competitive rides in CART or IRL - and the supposed 'stepping stone' championships (Atlantics and MIPS) have such weak fields - Atlantics is too expensive for what it is, and MIPS just can't attract entries, maybe as it's seen as dangerous.

If CART or IRL had snared Jeff Gordon, Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman, Casey Mears (who actually did pretty well in his short-term CART drive under the hardest circusmtances imaginable (a disinterested team owner still coming to terms with Alex's crash)),JJ Yeley and all the rest, they'd be in a much stronger position than they are now, no doubt about it. These guys are very gifted racers, as they show week-in week-out in NASCAR.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1194723)   #27
MexMotor
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico City
MexMotor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and hes gone to Nascar

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/14581/
Old 6 Jan 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1194747)   #28
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I realize it's a done deal, but can someone post a link or info regarding the Forsythe and PKV negotiation rumours? I'm curious if it was a "if you bring sponsorship we'll sign you" deal or if it was a more traditional "here's $2M, come drive our car" deal.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1194800)   #29
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess NASCAR gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1194834)   #30
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm
My guess NASCAR gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Unlike Champ Car and IRL, NASCAR as a sanctioning body does not make any offers.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 01:07 (Ref:1194887)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Just where I was going Boots! The best talent is taken from open wheel before they get to it.

Rustyfan, you are also right - NASCAR doesn't need "Francefare" if you will. I too do not follow it like I once did and no, I do not agree with everything they do, but boy, they sure have built themselves a strong series. The $$ comes to them - they don't have to seek it out! The drivers are simply following the opportunities that creates for them.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 01:27 (Ref:1194892)   #32
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Jourdain is departing with class. He thanked all of the drivers, team members, and owners he had worked with. It's the same attitude he displayed last year when Rahal announced he was jumping ship.

I wish all the best to Michel, and if things don't work out in tin tops, I would gladly welcome him back to open wheel.

Champ Car does have a big hold to fill now, south of the border. Hopefully this becomes an opportunity to bring some new talent up the ranks.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 02:29 (Ref:1194914)   #33
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Just where I was going Boots! The best talent is taken from open wheel before they get to it.
It's hardly some all-encompassing vacuum - as was the picture you painted.

So they take a few drivers out of various junior formulae in America ........ big deal!

Where do you think the vast majority of the plethora oftouring car and sportscar drivers across the globe started out (after karting)?

That's right ...... single seaters! Give that man a gold star.

It's hardly end of the world, front page news stuff.

Please.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1194972)   #34
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Mac, I beg to differ. This is "front-page news stuff".
Two of ChampCar's biggest markets are Mexico and Canada.
Fernandez is gone. Carpentier is gone. Dominguez is leaving. And now Jourdain is gone.

Obviously scientists haven't done alot of research on this, but I truly believe that ChampCar would not be nearly as popular in Canada had it not been for the native drivers. If PT were to bolt right now, I think that we'd see significant drops in attendance. Only time will tell if Carpentier's departure will affect ticket sales in Montreal this year. And therefore I'll hazzard to guess that a similar scenerio may take place in Mexico.

ChampCar needs Mexican talent right now.
IMO, it needs to add at least one each of Mexican, American and Australian drivers. And signing another Canuck in Valiante wouldn't hurt, either.

Last edited by macdaddy; 7 Jan 2005 at 07:05.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1194985)   #35
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From rustyfan:
Unlike Champ Car and IRL, NASCAR as a sanctioning body does not make any offers.
NASCAR is going to Mexico. NASCAR would surely like some Mexican drivers to bring with them. And although they're not about to make any offers, I'm sure that any "hint" Bill France might give would be taken quite seriously by any team owner. They, in themselves, already have quite a stake in the future of the series. As do the sponsors. Everybody wants the series to prosper, everybody wants a piece of the pie, and I'm sure that team owners can equate Mexican drivers to Mexican sponsors.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1194988)   #36
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The worry from this, for Champ Car, is that if IndyCar added a race in Canada and Mexico in 2006 - they would then have a driver and a race in both of ChampCar's strongest territiories.

As this infighting between the open-wheel ranks continues, NASCAR marches on.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1195001)   #37
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
IndyCar would need more, much more, than Carpentier to succeed in Canada.

The facts that we've long-had established "native" stars, and long-had ChampCar, I think you'd be surprised how anti-IRL this country's OW fans are.

I like to think of us as "educated" OW fans, and I'd dare say that the drivers would back that statement up given the testimony that they've seen in our paddocks.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1195002)   #38
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
...That's not to argue your point, KB, because it's a valid one.
It's simply an attempt to convey (what I perceive) to be the atmosphere here.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1195018)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with that to an extent - but it may come down to a situation where there isn't a choice...
Old 7 Jan 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1195021)   #40
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Surely you're not suggesting that fans be left with but one option?
That the IRL may be poised to take over?
If so, it's laughable. If ever there comes a day when there's only one name on the ballot, and given the current circumstances, I hardly think that the IRL will remain an option. The majority of our CC fanbase will turn to SportsCars before that ever happens. How many major ovals do we have in Canada? None?
Old 7 Jan 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1195062)   #41
Kicking-back
Veteran

No, I'm not suggesting that's an option.

I'm suggesting that if Champ Car is going to follow a model where every race has to be profitable in its own right, then anything which damages the potential success of the Canadian and Mexican events could be bad news for those events long term.

I sincerely hope that's not going to be the case though.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1195064)   #42
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The guys who go to sports cars and Touring Cars aren't usually the most promising open-wheel talents. The guys in NASCAR all-too-ften are the guys who've been winning championships from an early age.

As it stands, for 2006 CART is likely to have 2 Canadians (Tracy and Tagliani, with hopefully Valiente as well) and one Mexican (Avril), while the IRL should have Pat, and possibly Diaz - and who knows which talents could emerge in between. If the IRL puts on good shows in Mexico and Canada (and the chances are that these will be on road courses, taking the series up to 4 or 5). If it does end up that the only open-wheel option is to watch unfamiliar foreign drivers on tracks of a style that don't interest you, then you'll know how US fans feel.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1195087)   #43
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a perfect time for Champ Car to use Valiante as a tool. Lose one, bring one. As for a Mexican to fill Michel's shoes, that's going to be tougher. Like others have said, Diaz and Lavin don't quiet cut it.....yet.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1195116)   #44
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR.com has an article on Jourdain (includes comments by him, among other things):

Open-wheel veteran Jourdain to drive in Busch Series for ppc

Some snippets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdain
"I'm very excited about this chance," said Jourdain. "I've been wanting to come to NASCAR for a couple years now, and Dan Davis worked very hard with me to find the right opportunity where I could have a chance to work and learn with a top team like ppc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdain
"Getting to race at Mexico City ...to be a Mexican driver racing at my home track ... that will be fantastic. But the long-term goal is to learn this year, not make big mistakes, and continue to develop a strong relationship with ppc Racing and Ford. I'd like this to be the first step to getting to Nextel Cup."
Old 7 Jan 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1195272)   #45
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the big deal. Jourdain will be just another driver trying to "make it" in Nascar. There are many excellent drivers trying to get to Cup racing.

I agree with Rustyfan, all the talk about drafting does not make any sense. Drafting is only important at a few races. Bristol, Martinsville, Richmond, and Pocono is where driving skill is really tested in Nascar. Not to mention Darlington where it is almost assured he would "test" the wall a few times.

Last edited by muggle not; 7 Jan 2005 at 15:09.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1195332)   #46
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he can run with Christian Fittapaldi. His career really exploded in NASCAR. They love them furaners in that series.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1195368)   #47
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
Maybe he can run with Christian Fittapaldi. His career really exploded in NASCAR. They love them furaners in that series.
As mentioned before (check earlier in this thread), Fittipaldi's failure had nothing to do with him being an "outsider".
Old 7 Jan 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1195426)   #48
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
ChampCar has released a short statement on the matter.
Quote:
Dick Eidswick:
"We are disappointed to lose a driver of the caliber of Michel from our series and we wish him success in his new endeavor. Michel's decision to stay in Champ Car after the departure of his former team prior to the start of the season was a key in building momentum for a successful 2004 and is something that Champ Car will always be grateful for."
Old 7 Jan 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1195432)   #49
Kicking-back
Veteran

The new PR regime seems to be working - this has been handled with good grace.

I had feared Mr Gentillozzi shooting his mouth off...
Old 7 Jan 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1195436)   #50
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Lately I've been getting the impression that KK has put a "gag order" on PG!