Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Jan 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1195442)   #51
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever he's done, it works!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1195484)   #52
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's nice to see that CC published nice comments about a departing driver instead of near-slagging them like in Pat's case. If CC is stronger in a couple years and Pat is thinking about comming back, do you think Forsythe's last comments would be an incentive?

Does anyone know what's Diaz's contract status is with Ganassi?

Last edited by Snrub; 7 Jan 2005 at 20:46.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1195490)   #53
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand Diaz will be doing the Grand-Am season once again and may get an outing at the Indy 500.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:01 (Ref:1195671)   #54
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Lately I've been getting the impression that KK has put a "gag order" on PG!
Not heard from him in a long time!
While I admire the passion of his words, it`s clear KK has his hand on the CCWS wheel. Looks like positive press and PR have taken top billing.
But there is always pit lane
Old 8 Jan 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1195904)   #55
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IndyCar would need more, much more, than Carpentier to succeed in Canada.

The facts that we've long-had established "native" stars, and long-had ChampCar, I think you'd be surprised how anti-IRL this country's OW fans are.

I like to think of us as "educated" OW fans, and I'd dare say that the drivers would back that statement up given the testimony that they've seen in our paddocks.
I would have thought your opinion on Canadian fans and their unwavering support for Champ Cars was right on the money, but if you visit the Red Bull Cheever Racing team web site forum, you'll see that the membership to it has more than doubled since they signed Patrick, and their almost exclusively all Canadian fans. Admitedly, its a small forum, but it does say that their could be a sizable number of fans willing to switch over.

Last year, I was making the point here, that the lack of American drivers in CC was killing interest in the series here. I took alot of flack, and was pretty much told, I was wrong by many. Yet now you say in one of your posts, that the lack of Canadian and Mexican drivers will kill interest in the series in those countries, and I think your right, its human nature to root for home grown athletes and drivers. So have I all of a sudden become right, or does it only apply to Canadians and Mexicans?

Danica Patrick
Old 8 Jan 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1195915)   #56
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right in that a local driver will almost certainly always increase interest among fans. More so the casual fan as opposed to the more ardent. I think the difference you'll find between the Canadian fan and the American fan is that a Canadian doesn't seem to require the entire field be filled by Canadians. Don't take this as a slam against Americans. It is just an opinion based on years of viewing American coverage of international events. ie. Olympics. If an American isn't winning it isn't worth covering. One need also look at NASCAR and their difficulty in accepting a foreign manufacturer.
A local driver will always boost local interset, Bernie Eccelstone knows this better than anyone. But F1 in Canada doesn't suffer from not having a Canadian on the grid, whileas in America it seems to be a prerequisite to it's survival there.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Jan 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1195945)   #57
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
GP Racer... I don't remember being one of the ones calling you wrong. And so I don't understand why your post and your question are directed at me.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1195947)   #58
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You've definately got a point GP and I think everyone would agree that having successful drivers from the countries were races are held is important. I think where you caused some objections in the past was that some interpreted what you said to mean "there should be 16 US drivers and if they want to we'll let 4 forign drivers race in the back." I think that's where the flak came from. I don't think anyone would tell you that you were wrong if you simply said "having some successful drivers of US/CDN/Mexican nationality is very important."

It's a tough issue to fully judge, but I think as GP has suggested Pat's departure will cause some problems for the series. Forsythe's actions hurt the series he is trying to save. Tag needs to win a couple of races next year and maybe it'll be okay...
Old 8 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1195977)   #59
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it interesting, Boots, that you think the IRL may have a race each in Canada and Mexico, that they may still have Carpentier and may add Luis Diaz, who is in another series at present, and that they may add more Mexicans and Canadians between now and then -- and therefore we ought to haul out the crying towels?

Haven't I heard from Robin Miller lately among others that the IRL car count is dropping rapidly and that in 2005 they will have no more cars than Champ Car has?

And rather than speculating that the IRL may do all kinds of things that may spell Doom for Champ Cars, I think I will choose to imagine that:

Champ Cars may have five new teams by 2006, all of them with Mexican, Canadian and American talent on board; Canada may have four races, all of them with the highest attendance in the whole schedule; Carpentier may lose his drive due to the team's bankruptcy, and never get paid that $2 million he was promised; Luis Diaz Jr. may desert Ganassi and GARRA for a top drive in Champ Cars; and 2006 may be our best year ever.

Why not begin 2005 as an optimist? On to Long Beach!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1195984)   #60
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GP Racer... I don't remember being one of the ones calling you wrong. And so I don't understand why your post and your question are directed at me.
Nothing personal macdaddy, and you weren't one of the guys calling me wrong. I just found it funny that your post (and it could have been posted by anyone) caused no controversy like mine did last year when I said the very same thing about the lack of American drivers.

Time will tell if the departures of Patrick, Adrian, and Michel cause problems for Canadian, and Mexican fans. If the small sampling over on the Red Bull Cheever site is any example, then I think it will...

Danica Patrick
Old 8 Jan 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1196035)   #61
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
Carpentier may lose his drive due to the team's bankruptcy, and never get paid that $2 million he was promised
Hey Liz, maybe this question belongs in another thread, but is there concern over Cheever not racing this year?
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1196094)   #62
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is an interview, where Michel talks baout his switch to NASCAR, Its in Spanish.
http://www.atodamakina.com/entrevistas-Jourdain3.html
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1196096)   #63
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
I put it through Alta vista here its is, i got it of the website
January 7, 2005linked above.

ATM
Before nothing we want desearte a great year in your new professional and personal adventure with your son.
MJ
Also thank you very much, what detallazo.

ATM
Many new news, nonMichel?
MJ
If, thus it is.

ATM
The last time that we spoke you said to us that your preference was mantenerte in Champ Cars and that you looked for a competitive equipment. We know that Forsythe did a supply to you. What needed to him to that supply so that you accepted it?
MJ
What happened is that the one of Nascar simply was improving with time. The last time that speaks with you everything was very in the air and I feel that the one of Nascar has much solidity. The people of Ford Racing are supporting to me very, very hard and I will practically be the pilot of factory of Ford. That, for my, has very many value; to have the direct relation as hard as the one that I am having with a manufacturer as Ford I can say to you that only the Rodriguez, Adrián and now I, we have had something thus. And that is worth everything.
This it is a long term plan and the one of Champ Car was to very short term, it was very in the air and although I am sure that it could have had a competitive equipment everything saw fact aventón and without having an ample vision but and with future like the one of Nascar.

ATM
Michel, at the present time, you are the Mexican pilot more considered by the Mexican liking. How you think that your exit affects the support that you have?
MJ
Sight, I am going to you to say that I feel that those that really are my fans and really want to me, are going to me to support is where it is; I mean to them that it is not that I have given the back him to Champ Car or that does not want it. No pilot demonstrated like I the last year what I want to the serial but in the end I cannot only see by Champ Car, I have to do by me and I believe that this is the best opportunity than I have had in my race and I have it to take advantage of.
It is very important for me that the Busch runs in Mexico, by the fans, and thus they will have the opportunity to follow seeing to me.
It is a different stage where I will not arrive at the race in March with the same opportunities that in the races of Champ but I am going to learn and I am sure that the next year I am going to come to the race of Mexico with possibilities of gaining it and that motivates to me very many.

ATM
With what feeling you leave the Champ Car?
MJ
Obvious a little sadness. They are Many races, many years, the tracks, but the main thing that I leave are many friends, although I believe that I made a so good friendship with some people who will last for all the life.

ATM
Let us enter the subject of Nascar. What dresses in PPC for convencerte to sign with them?
MJ
PPC is an equipment that already was champion in the Bush, the last year they were in 6º of the championship and have all the support of Ford. In fact Ford was the one who it placed to me in PPC.
All this began years ago by my side and year ago and means the talks with Ford on this adventure intensified and they decided that PPC was the best place for me and who is going to know better than they no?
In addition, which I have seen days working close by in the last with them is that they are very professional people, with many desire and that have a very good plan to develop and to take me to me to the Nextel Cup and to be successful.

ATM
Ford of Mexico is also involved?
MJ
One is going away to involve, in about 10 days I will be platicando with them to see how they support to me, but until right now everything it has been with Ford Racing

ATM
In the 2003 Jason Keller it ran with PPC. Will be it your coequipero?
MJ
No, it is going to be Kenny Wallace.

ATM
It is spoken much of which he is difficult foreign to run them in Nascar because it is a community very closed. What think you?
MJ
I believe that it is thing to lay way, for that reason I am going away to live there, because that can help me to enter the community and feels that I already take running many years in the USA and knows several the pilots and much people.
Before yes very the community of Nascar was closed but lately many engineers and people from equipment of the Champ Car and the IRL have arrived and are people who I know and that also is going to help to me to enter the community and to receive the necessary support.

ATM
Jimmy Moral is looking for a seat for the complete season. Think that we are to two Mexican east year old in the Busch of permanent way?
MJ
I have not spoken with Jimmy on the matter and I do not know exactly what plan has.

ATM
But it would help you to be a compatriot also this year old, no?
MJ
Sure clear that it would be far better for me.

ATM
Which are the things that you think that more work will cost to you to learn of the Nascar?
MJ
2 things, the qualification and the traffic, mainly in short tracks because it is to run with other 42 cars but are thing to work with the equipment to learn as rapidly as possible.

ATM
35 races between February and November are a radical change versus. 14 or 16 that normally you ran. you are going to run them all?
MJ
Surely Daytona not and perhaps Bristol either. But until right now only Daytona no.

ATM
Why you are not going to be in Daytona?
MJ
By the rules of Nascar. It is a Superspeedway of 2,5 miles and I do not have the sufficient experience in this type of cars and the races are very dangerous, walk all stuck very and preferred that it did not run.

ATM
Nevertheless the second race is in Fontana who also is Superspeedway and yes you will run it no?
MJ
Yes, but it is very different, if you see a race of Fontana do not walk patches as in Daytona so. In Daytona they do not loosen the accelerator in all the race and in Fontana until they restrain a little to him in this type of cars.

ATM
You already have patrocinador?
MJ
No, in those we still walked. We are seeing several North American companies and Mexican but it does not depend on that my participation. My participation is assured.

ATM
Giant follows with you?
MJ
Yes, not yet we know well what level but follows with me.

ATM
You know if they will transmit the races in Mexico in open TV?
MJ
I know that it is at least going to have summaries and the race of Mexico yes is transmitted completes but in those walks working the CIE people.

ATM
It will be in Aztec TV?
MJ
No, she is Television.

ATM
What I put you have raised for your first year in Nascar?
MJ
Sight, in the beginning is to try to give all the possible returns, to avoid to hit, to learn the shutdowns of pits and to finish the races. Little by little to be improving and to walk in the 20 first, 15 first, 5 first, and thus.

ATM
Your contract is by 2 years. You glide to raise the Nextel in the 2006?
MJ
It depends on how it goes to me but right now I believe that the 2006 also would be in the Busch and to begin to make some races of the Nextel

ATM
The last time that platicamos, you said to us that if you ran in Nascar was almost safe that you ran the 500 of Indy. What has of this?
MJ
Yes, it is part of the project definitively and is in which I must put to me to chambear now.

ATM
It would be with Adrián?
MJ
I hope. That is what I would like more.

ATM
Many fans want to know if the possibility that exists you run the Champ Car in the east DF year.
MJ
No, definitively no. The race of the DF with one of Nascar holds a concealed knife so not it can.

ATM
You meant something to him to all the fans in ATM on your new adventure?
MJ
Yes, that to me continues supporting, that I thank for all to them that they have supported to me and that has a little to me patience in the beginning but we go by everything and to try to gain many races.

ATM
Michel, we thank for much your time to you and we will be kind to your performances and of course we will be the 6 of March apoyándote in the automobile race track.
MJ
Thank you very much to you and we will be in contact with the enemy.

2004 All ATodaMakina.com

Last edited by Tenoch; 8 Jan 2005 at 21:28.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1196105)   #64
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Those translations are even funnier when you translate into French first, and then into English!
Old 9 Jan 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1196230)   #65
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the drivers in Nascar will call him Michael Jordan
Old 9 Jan 2005, 05:36 (Ref:1196304)   #66
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Come on 2112 he's going to be Michael Jordan Junior, they can recognize that.

Last edited by Tenoch; 9 Jan 2005 at 05:38.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1196568)   #67
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Those translators are never perfect, but it really seemed to have a tough time with that interview. Thanks for posting it, it was an interesting read.

After reading interview that I think the question has to be asked, what do you think of Ford now? "Ford Racing are supporting to me very, very hard and I will practically be the pilot of factory of Ford... In fact Ford was the one who it placed to me in PPC."

While it's difficult to interprete, it sounds like Jourdain wasn't that thrilled by CC. I really wonder why he didn't go with Rahal to the IRL?

Last edited by Snrub; 9 Jan 2005 at 16:02.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1196617)   #68
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That hasn't translated very well, but I can tell that he might do the Indy 500 with Adrian this year, and is looking to do some Nextel Cup races in 2006 alongside Busch. It seems like he has got special support for the NASCAR role on account of being Mexican, and he certainly seems sad to leave ChampCars and hoepful for its future.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1196803)   #69
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mac, I beg to differ. This is "front-page news stuff".
Two of ChampCar's biggest markets are Mexico and Canada.
Fernandez is gone. Carpentier is gone. Dominguez is leaving. And now Jourdain is gone.
I agree.

But that is a completely different argument to mine. Losing drivers from Champ Car to any series is important news.

But my argument was in regards to open-wheel drivers leaving for NASCAR before they reach Champ Cars or IndyCar.

My argument was that for a few drivers here and there to go to NASCAR from junior series is no big deal as it happens all over the world with various touring car and sports car series'.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1197035)   #70
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Walk patches...a keeper.

And can someone translate "walk all stuck very and preferred that it did not run." for me.

Anyways, best of luck to Michael Jordain Jr. May he win many wins, and throw many helmets @ other competiters in true NASCAR fashion.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1197562)   #71
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mac, the situation is different to what you suggest. In Europe, no young driver regards sports cars or Touring Cars as a better career choice than single-seaters, especially F1. It may be more exciting racing, but there's less prestige, fame and money in it. In the US (and Australia to an extent) the situation is different - NASCAR and V8 Supercars have a lot of allure, sponsorship backing and market power.

Most of the best prospects who have emerged from the US in the last 10-15 years are in NASCAR now, which becomes an even bigger problem when you consider how few US drivers are in CART, with the IRL possibly going the same way, and the fact that US fans want to see US drivers - or at the very least, guys who target their racing from the word go, and always wanted to be involved in it. Guys like Wheldon and Meira, who did the junior US championships and have spoken extremely highly of its racing compared to F1, are popular with US fans (not so much the Tenthers who live in the US, but general TV viewers), much more than guys like Junquiera or Castroneves (neither of whom ever dreamt of racing in the US but have 'fallen' into it by never making F1)
Old 10 Jan 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1197625)   #72
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But hasn't that always been the case in the US? Is it really a different situation to what it was 10 or 15 years ago?

Open-wheel racing has never had the same following as NASCAR in the states. And both the IRL and Champ Car, with the successes of Mansell, Zanardi, Villeneuve, Montoya, de Ferran and Bourdais etc. has become an increasingly international sport. So much so that drivers and sponsors from overseas became willing to join the series.

In Europe the issue is that Formula One is the goal - drivers often abort their dreams to become F1 stars early to take well-paid, comfortable jobs driving touring cars or sportscars. A very similar reason to why young guys make the switch in the US.

Do you think Marcos Ambrose would be driving V8Supercars if he could have made a living driving single seaters?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 03:06 (Ref:1197811)   #73
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
But hasn't that always been the case in the US? Is it really a different situation to what it was 10 or 15 years ago?
No, that hasn't always been the case. NASCAR was traditionally a regional sport. Indycar racing was THE big thing. Outside of the South, NASCAR was barely a blip on the radar screen until the mid 1970s. In the '80s, a number of things started to happen that would eventually propel NASCAR past CART. In the 60s, NASCAR only had 2 or 3 nationally televised races per year. In the 70s, there might have been half a dozen. In the '80s, it got more and better national TV exposure, both on the networks and on cable TV, which was growing by leaps and bounds. People saw that it put on an exciting show. CART had some great races, too, but formula car racing is somewhat more nuanced. NASCAR appeals to the masses. Some of the venues CART chose turned people off (the Meadowlands parking lot, for example). CART still held its own through the 1980s with young American stars like Michael Andretti, Danny Sulivan and Al Jr. The addition of Ex-WDCs like Fittipaldi wasn't a problem for American fans, but the influx of unknown foreign drivers in the 90s and the growing perception that Americans (especially those from the traditional midget/sprint car background) were having a tough time breaking into CART alienated many American fans. The loss of Jeff Gordon to NASCAR was something of a watershed moment. By the mid-1990s, Indycar's TV ratings were dropping while NASCARs were on the rise. Then came "the split". Open wheel racing still hasn't recovered. Meanwhile, NASCAR has turned into a promotional juggernaut, sucking up sponsor dollars and attracting much of the best young American talent.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1198007)   #74
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Mike.ca has summed things up very well!

I think what many here miss is perspective. I do not mean this in an insulting or derogatory way - simply that many of you came to the sport in a time where NASCAR was at least in it's ascendancy if not at the pinnacle it is now.

The drive to compete in The 500 was very much the true measure of driving greatness in the US for a long, long time (still is, for me, at least). NASCAR was truly a Regional thing. The best thing that ever happened to it was ESPN: a channel devoted to Sports looking for Sports to show. Technology helped as well with in-car cams putting us "right there" in a way you just don't have with an open-wheeler. The close racing, quirky personalities and the show taking place in a stadium-like setting was perfect to help fill airtime with a Sports product that was easy to cover and actually entertaining. It filled an autosports void. Millions of homes that never heard of NASCAR were now watching or at least able to watch.

Open-wheel racing is now (on the OWRS side) a Traveling Medicine Show of sorts. An attraction that visits profitable markets. The IRL is a Diamond (The 500) without a ring. Neither will truly be successful in attracting talent/$$ from NASCAR in their current state.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 11 Jan 2005 at 11:52.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1198069)   #75
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Thanks Mike and John for backing me up - incidentally, I'm one of the younger tenthers, and even compared to when I first got into CART in the ealy 90s, there's no question that NASCAR is now much bigger than it was then, probably for the reasons stated.