Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Jan 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1203859)   #1
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais running IROC

That`s the word from Jayski`s site. the full list.

Matt Kenseth - NASCAR Nextel Cup (2004 Crown Royal IROC champion)
Kurt Busch - NASCAR Nextel Cup (2004 Series champion)
Mark Martin - NASCAR Nextel Cup (4-time Crown Royal IROC champion)
Sebastien Bourdais - CHAMP CAR (2004 Series champion)
Bobby Hamilton NASCAR - Craftsman Truck (2004 Series champion)
Steve Kinser - World of Outlaws (2004 Series champion)
Max Papis - Grand American Road Racing (2004 Series co-champion)
Scott Pruett - Grand American Road Racing (2004 Series co-champion)
Martin Truex Jr. - NASCAR Busch Series (2004 Series champion)
Helio Castroneves - IRL IndyCar Series (2-time Indianapolis 500 champion)
Buddy Rice - IRL IndyCar Series (2004 Indianapolis 500 champion)
Danny Lasoski - World of Outlaws (2001 Series champion)
Old 18 Jan 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1203885)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see him recognised - but it's largely an irrelevant series anyway, IROC.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1203919)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this a very good thing. It shows that there are fewer disagreements with others and CC and it will allow Bourdais to get better at ovals.

In the past have drivers from Grand Am, IMSA, Can-Am, etc. participated in IROC? Where is Kannan?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1203923)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Castroneves andRice are there from IndyCar - Kanaan may have turned it down.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1203948)   #5
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its nice to see Bourdais but I wonder why Paul tracy isnt there.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1203952)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Maybe they only made one slot available for Champ Cars, and as such the champion had first shot at it?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1204108)   #7
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy was not asked even when he was the champ.
Motorsports politics, it`s alive and well outside of internet forums too.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1204233)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Tracy was not asked even when he was the champ.
Motorsports politics, it`s alive and well outside of internet forums too.
The reason IROC didn't invite any Champ Car drivers for 2004 is because Champ Car was extremely late with releasing a fully finalized schedule.

It's not like it's an easy job trying to get even four dates open so people from the various different championships can race. This fact is, of course, ignored by those blinded by their loyalty to Champ Car. I mean, it's Champ Car against the World, right?

On topic, I think the line-up looks great, with sports-car drivers being back as well. Now we just need some NHRA drivers and we're all set
Old 18 Jan 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1204238)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cool cool-i hope he shows well
Old 18 Jan 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1204242)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
The reason IROC didn't invite any Champ Car drivers for 2004 is because Champ Car was extremely late with releasing a fully finalized schedule.
Do you REALLY believe that? That would be like me not inviting a friend to my wedding, because I wasn't sure if it would fit his schedule. Makes no sense.

Last edited by jjspierx; 18 Jan 2005 at 23:21.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1204243)   #11
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
I doubt it that whoever schedules these things considers the CCWS champion their friend.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1204246)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
Do you REALLY believe that? That would be like me not inviting a friend to my wedding, because I wasn't sure if it would fit his schedule. Makes no sense.
Whatever. You - and all other diehards - are free to believe what you want.

Just take this into consideration - if IROC (which, by the way, is independent from NASCAR and all other "evil" sanctioning bodies) had a "thing in" for Champ Car in 2004, then why would they invite Bourdais this year? Because he's French?

No, believing Tracy wasn't invited "just because" he is Tracy or "just because" he is a Champ Car driver is just as silly as believing Jimmy Vasser was taken out on purpose of the 2003 Busch Series race at Daytona "just because" he was a Champ Car driver (as some have suggested, even on this very forum, IIRC).
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1204262)   #13
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Champcar doesn't have a set schedule this year now, do they? What makes it different than last year when they didn't invite Tracy? My personal feeling, is that they knew there was a public outcry over it last year, by not inviting Tracy and they wanted to avoid that happening again this year. There was no reason why Tracy should NOT have been invited last year and he wasn't. If Tracy couldn't make it due to a schedule conflict, then that is his issue he still should have gotten the invite.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1204263)   #14
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
I mean, it's Champ Car against the World, right?
No, it's the whole world against Champcar!

This is good news, another Champcar driver in front of mainly NASCAR fans eyes.....

And since it's IROC, you can expect completely fair unweighted coverage between the Champcar and "other series" drivers......in that they'll all be lumped into the "not NASCAR" catagory and given about five minutes of airtime!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1204271)   #15
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
what is the IROC format?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1204272)   #16
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
what is the IROC format?
Oval Oval Oval Oval......in NASCAR-a-like cars.....

Slipstreaming is a big part of the show.....and Bourdais doesn't have much practice in that, to be fair (or many friends to give him a tow either....)
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1204275)   #17
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
I've seen those cars before they're brightly painted and say or at least use to say True Value all over them. So its four races on Ovals, and the one who earns the most points takes it all?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1204359)   #18
Sparky05
Rookie

Sparky05 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
That would be like me not inviting a friend to my wedding, because I wasn't sure if it would fit his schedule. Makes no sense.
No, but you wouldn't invite the drunken, ignorant, loudmouth neighbor would you?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 03:35 (Ref:1204365)   #19
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It definitely should have PT on the grid, also Ron Fellows should be there. Give him some Oval experience as well.
I'm afraid Bourdais will be all alone out there.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Jan 2005, 03:38 (Ref:1204366)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
On the flip side of that coin, there was some concern there would be no CC as well - why invite the champion of a defunct series?

I tend to agree with the view that there is a sort of "Institutional Paranoia" here that seems to encourage some to search for the insult/slight when there is not one. The IROC people, legitimately had concerns over scheduling.

You have to admit last year's schedule was still written in sponge at this point and I also seem to recall a last-ditch court appearance to finalize that the three Amigos could indeed by the remains of The Series Formerly Known as CART. Why schedule and announce Mr. Tracy only to find that he could not compete in all of the events? This is not a wedding, it is a made-for-TV racing event billed as a shootout of top talent. Doesn't do much good to advertise Top Talent that won't be there.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 04:58 (Ref:1204395)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I used to enjoy the IROC series, years ago. Not so much anymore.

I wonder why there are 2 from GrandAm, but nobody representing ALMS? Or TransAm?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 05:29 (Ref:1204409)   #22
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To answer Tenoch's question:

12 evenly matched cars which are no longer in production, on super speedways, with a heavy focus on drafting, sponsored by Crown Royal.

That's it to me, although I'm sure a few members will probably jump me for my explanation, but it's true.

Last edited by brightline; 19 Jan 2005 at 05:30.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1204421)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I've watched them when they were the Saturday support race for CART in Michigan. Mid-90's. The racing was really exciting. One year, Al Jr won and I got a tire from the car. I think Earnhardt won the championship in the same race, but my memory is too foggy. Either that, or I saw Earnhardt win there also. For some reason I remember the name was significant...

Only... It wasn't really a Saturday "support race". Because your Sunday ticket wouldn't get you in, and the IROC race was $25US in itself.

In retrospect, I think that's why I started "getting into" the IROC, and watching the races on TV. Because one of "my guys" (a CART driver) won the race. They were on network then, but often tape-delayed for a week or more. But my interest has waned to the point of nonexistence anymore. That might change a little this year, I'll be curious to see how Bourdais fares, but I'd like it if CC had two drivers. They should've invited PT just out of good faith.

What I'm doing now is rambling. Sorry.
Carry on.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1204432)   #24
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats one of the better IROC line ups for a while actually 5 Nascar 2 WoO 2 sportscars 3 openwheelers, and the two sportscar drivers are both ex open wheelers.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1204434)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47
Slipstreaming is a big part of the show.....and Bourdais doesn't have much practice in that, to be fair (or many friends to give him a tow either....)
If World of Outlaws driver Danny Lasoski can collect two podium-finishes in 2004 (including a win at Texas), I'm sure Sebastien Bourdais can be able to produce some results in 2005 as well.

Just have some faith in the man, rather than coming up with excuses already for his potential lack of results