Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 20 Oct 2006, 03:58 (Ref:1742679)   #26
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Rumors originating from Europe say the man with his name at the top of the list to replace Sete Gibernau on the Marlboro Ducati GP bike at the Valencia round next week is none other than current World Superbike champion and former Ducati GP rider Troy Bayliss.

Sete Gibernau will not be able to race the Desmo GP bike at Valencia after a crash last Sunday at Estoril--one involving his '07 replacement, Casey Stoner.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Oct/061018b.htm

Maybe Soup reads 10/10ths?
Old 20 Oct 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1742821)   #27
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OFFICIAL: TROY BAYLISS BACK FOR VALENCIA.

Site of his Last MotoGP podium in his 'last' race for Ducati in 2004.

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Bay...~id~139174.htm

Quote:
"The only way I can put it is that I appreciate the opportunity that has been given to me to race at Valencia with the Ducati Marlboro Team," said Bayliss. "I feel sorry of course for Sete, who won't be able to race in his home GP, but it sort of makes sense that I have been called to replace him. I was there at the start of the whole Ducati MotoGP project four years ago, the decision just fell into place and I am sure there are lots of people in the Company and lots of fans who want to see me at Valencia.

"My season has finished and I have this great opportunity now so it's nice for all concerned and it'll also be great to join up again with some of my old team and mechanics," he continued. "I feel really good it's Valencia, because it's a track I know like the back of my hand and I've always had good results there. I'll be thrown in at the deep end and won't have much time for practice but I know the bike pretty well. The only thing I won't have tried are the Bridgestone (tyres), but we'll take it step by step and see how it goes from there."
Old 20 Oct 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1743233)   #28
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow!

Go Troy, give it a go mate!
Old 20 Oct 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1743237)   #29
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woohoo, the Aussies are making a resurgance! Soon we will dominate!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Oct 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1743243)   #30
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, there's a pretty large ego on the line there. Hope it goes well, would certainly be interesting if he did have pace. Would add spice to the mix.

But I doubt it!
Old 20 Oct 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1743386)   #31
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still don't think he's the best choice, but I wish him well. The thing is, what would Ducati have to gain if he does well? Will they give him 100%?
Old 20 Oct 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1743394)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice to see Troy having a crack, though go easy on the self plaudits will you mate!

He should do alright if he gets a handle on the tyres. He went well at Valencia usually, as he says.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1743660)   #33
L34
Rookie

Australia
North Western Sydney, NSW, Australia
L34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see Troy get a one off ride on the Ducati again.

A just reward to a great season in the supers, that's all the ride is.

With the pressure off as he is not out to impress anyone, and on a circuit he enjoys, who knows where he will finish the race.

Still I would have loved to seen Troy do the 3rd year on the Ducati, in place of the Honda. I think we would have seen him better his first year in MotoGP.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 01:09 (Ref:1743721)   #34
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
4 Aussies in Moto GP. Cool!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1743767)   #35
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
4 Aussies in Moto GP. Cool!
And only one is a definate chance at winning...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 21 Oct 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1743776)   #36
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
And only one is a definate chance at winning...
What? Who?

Italian, spaniard, american... where is the aussie who can win?
Old 21 Oct 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1743920)   #37
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
just herd it on the news...

I think that it is great news although i hope this one of ride is going to be better than his previous MotoGP Ducati rides...

Good luck anyway... hehe imagine if he wins!

Go the Datto!!!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1743970)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes. Imagine being the key word there.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1744015)   #39
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh cmon gimme a break he stands no chance of winning!

He doesnt know the bike as much as he did and he has never ridden on Bridgestones/

I think he might be able to scrape a top ten maybe, but they are hardly gonna be working overtime to get him a podium, its a just a thankyou from Ducati thats all!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1744138)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If the Ducati is in winning shape at Valencia (which it won't be) Capirex will do the winning.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1744219)   #41
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Bayliss is already a world champion in his own right so has nothing to really prove on the weekend. I think the ride is reward for him delivering another Superbike Crown, nothing more.

However, I hope he puts in a good performance just to show that he can still mix it with the cream of MotoGP.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 00:44 (Ref:1744490)   #42
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
First off:

a) he runs well at valencia.
b) he knows he has to get used to the tyres, and will.
c) he's on a total high from the championship, his head will be in the right place.
d) he has no pressure, except to comprehensively beat hoffman.

What can go wrong?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1744534)   #43
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
e) he has not been a match for top riders in MotoGP.

Old 22 Oct 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1744541)   #44
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
However, I hope he puts in a good performance just to show that he can still mix it with the cream of MotoGP.
I think there were 3-4 races when he was in the mix up front. In three years! Come on, f1manoz, you're killing us!
Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:07 (Ref:1745673)   #45
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
His first year he had many good rides.

The year after the bike was crap.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 04:01 (Ref:1745729)   #46
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Sorry for being a pain, Hazzy but in 2003 Capirossi beated Bayliss 11-4 in race results. Yes, he got three 3rds, but Capi got also three 3rds plus two 2nds and one win.

It's sad but he is not a top, top performer in MotoGP... and this season we are not short on talent there.

Anyway we all like Troy , best wishes for him!

(And when he crashes, he does cool crashes )
Old 23 Oct 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1745943)   #47
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
How does "beated" count as anything? Do you not expect a man in his first season of MotoGP to be beaten by his teamate who had been racing for almost TEN years on the circuits/bikes?

Stats don't tell the truth there Schum.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1746283)   #48
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

The next year (2004) he was again beaten 9-4...

However, his only podium was in... Valencia

In 2005 he was team mate with Barros in Camel Honda. He was duly beat 9-2 (counting until Brno).

I suppose he was not a novice in those seasons , so my conclusion still is TB was not a top performer in MotoGP
Old 23 Oct 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1746886)   #49
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Troy, i think he was probably too old to make the big jump to MotoGP. i do think though that in his time there he certainly didnt embarras himself. ( let me quantify here that im a huge T Bayliss supporter) - but ill try to be realistic

his 1st year was quite good, esp for a motoGP rookie. his final year at Duc tho left a lot to be desired. after PI he commented in an interview that Duc were pushing the bike in Caparossi's direction, not his. infact they were ignoring his input for dev. after PI when they tested he finalyl conveced Duc to put on the forks hed been wanting all year and low and behold he was scorching, much faster than hed been all weeekend.

he didnt really carry that momentum through the last few rounds, but iirc he was improved.

with the Honda apparantly he again he had front end issues and had no confidence. he did make some storming rides through the field after hed fallen off tho... apparantly there was an issue in clutch feel as well on the honda that he just couldnt get a grip on. as i said. probably too old for motoGP but gave ita hell of a shake. he coudl have done worse.

Edwards hasnt done that much - and hes still there. untill last weekend everyone touted Elias as a massive motGP failure and he finally delivered as well.

I wont be holding my breath for a TB podium this weekend tho. too long out of it and the bikes have changed too much.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1751965)   #50
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS
I wont be holding my breath for a TB podium this weekend tho. too long out of it and the bikes have changed too much.
Start holding your breath... P2...