Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 31 Dec 2007, 18:24 (Ref:2097211)   #1
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008 Dakar

This Saturday marks the start of the 2008 Dakar Rally, with the opening stage from Lisbon to Portimao. Entries etc are on the official website:
http://www.dakar.com/2008/DAK/RIDERS...8-engages.html

There will also be extensive coverage on raid-live.com:
http://www.raid-live.com/dakar/en/index.shtml

And you can even download and make paper models of the cars and trucks (if you've got time...)!!!
http://www.marathonrally.com/en/03_d...models_02.html

I always enjoy following this event, as it is interesting to see how the various battles progress over the duration. Another winter motorsport 'fix'!
Old 31 Dec 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2097231)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Some interesting entries in the car section - Yvan Muller was a name I wasn't expecting to see in there! Tiago Monteiro was another surprise.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 19:59 (Ref:2097235)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love the Dakar. It's one of the events that all motorsport fans world-wide can share as it covers everything! I mean, how many events do you know where an amateur bike rider can compete against a former F1 driver?
Old 1 Jan 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2097611)   #4
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be a good year for volkswagen , ill be posting up all the press releases and info later on http://www.rallycross.ie

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 4 Jan 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2099209)   #5
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's canceled, some of the Dutch entries are already on their way home.

8 of the 15 stages are through Mauritania so I guess there was no other option than to cancel it.

Last edited by HCForums; 4 Jan 2008 at 11:44.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2099213)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ly/7171426.stm
Old 4 Jan 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2099229)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doh.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2099237)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Giving in to terrorism and acting like they own us is exactly wat they want. They should have moved the entire event to Mauritania and show the terrorist scum that we won't be bossed around anymore...
Old 4 Jan 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2099245)   #9
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure the organisers were hoping for the 30th running of the event to run smoothly, especially after losing a couple of stages last year. Once again terrorists have won, what a shame.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2099256)   #10
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure we are all very disappointed at this awful news, but would any of us want to risk their lives taking part in this lawless part of the world.
Personally gutted, it is the only proper motorsport event to "fill" the gap till our own season starts.Maybe the only consolation is that at least the money that would have been spent, will not now go (or be diverted) to the terrorists.
Regards carrotcruncher
Old 4 Jan 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2099270)   #11
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a shame but if you have direct threats, you have to take them seriously...such a shame...bring on next year!
Old 4 Jan 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2099275)   #12
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Giving in to terrorism and acting like they own us is exactly wat they want. They should have moved the entire event to Mauritania and show the terrorist scum that we won't be bossed around anymore...
Easy to type but not such an easy decision for those actually involved. Don't forget these people aren't just making empty threats, they have already killed entirely innocent people

Dealing with terrorists is a matter for Governments, diplomats and the military NOT civilians, sportspeople and spectators.

This is very, very sad but entirely understandable
Old 4 Jan 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2099287)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(Possible off topic alert) For sure, governments, diplomats and the military are the ones meant to deal with terrorism but its effects are felt by "everyday" people such as the tourists in Mauritania, sportsmen and women in the Dakar to completely unrelated people in an unrelated country simply trying to use an airport.

I just get so frustrated when I hear another story about how terrorists once again succeed in bullying people into doing what they want...
Old 4 Jan 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2099397)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is a terrible loss to all racing and international relations
i am shocked this isn't more news any where
a good list of cars and entries
this is terrible! how could we succumb to these barbarians?! why not circumvent muritania and try another country- or do a trans Europe race in the interim- fans will abound and i am sure countries will cooperate-
the Paris-Istanbul race called the "dakar" much like off road Raids are called "Baja's" after teh Baja 500/1000
this sucks- we need a solution not just head rubbing and tears!
Old 4 Jan 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2099461)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Avoid Mauritania next time?

Hey, how about Paris - Italy - Tunisia - Algieria - Mali - Senegal - Dakar?
Old 4 Jan 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2099466)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What awful news.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2099486)   #17
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Shocking news, but clear that there was no other option. If there's direct threats against the race you have to take measures not to pass through the affected territory (especially when the group in question are known to have killed French people recently). In 2000 (Paris-Dakar-Cairo) it was possible to skip the North Niger. With so many stages affected, clearly it's not possible.

I'm sure that in the future changes will have to made, perhaps sadly missing out Mauritania. I'm also sure that with the present political climate, this won't be the last threat the race will face. And the organisers will have to properly evaluate the threat, and future stages may well be cancelled.

I know there's a lot of people saying that the terrorists have won. And yes, they've won this battle. But the Dakar will be back to Africa, and the benefits it brings will continue. Just not this year, that's all...
Old 4 Jan 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2099502)   #18
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Avoid Mauritania next time?

Hey, how about Paris - Italy - Tunisia - Algieria - Mali - Senegal - Dakar?

Argelia is a "no no no" place, because of islamic terrorism. That's why, since the mid 90s', the Dakar has never returned to it
Old 4 Jan 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2099520)   #19
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more news
- The Dakar Rally, due to start Saturday, is called off because of security fears
- The French Government warned of dangers after recent murders in Mauritania
- The rally was scheduled to pass through Mauritania for a total of nine days

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/01/04/motor.dakar/
earlier news

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Dec...Killed,00.html

Yahoo picks up the story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080104...r_080104150306

pictures:
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Dakar-...uLFucTyJOGOrgF
Old 5 Jan 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2099643)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
French

The french warning...was it a direct threat to the Rally Raid of just a general warning of danger?? I can't help thinking we are not being told everything because a slight route change could have steered the field away from the trouble spots (possibly).

What is it with these terrorist jerks? Can someone arrange for Uncle Jan to take one of his trucks and visit Osama BL (he appears to be fond of trucks)...maybe Uncle Jan could slap some sense into OBL whilst he is there

Of course, the massive injection of funds and the charity work done by the rally will be lost for this year....maybe Jan should also take along footage of the great charity work done by the rally each year.

(what a waste of words...less than human terrorists don't give a rats about charity )
Old 5 Jan 2008, 05:43 (Ref:2099730)   #21
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
I can't help thinking we are not being told everything because a slight route change could have steered the field away from the trouble spots (possibly).

9 days of the rally were planed in Mauritania so there was absolutely no way.

In 2001 there were similar threats in a country that didnt even quite exist called "West Sahara" a piece of desert with no government. Because that place would involve only 1 day of the rally (and the threat occured during and not before the rally) organizers decided to put EVERYTHING (imagine hundreds of bikes cars and trucks plus camera crews from 50 countries) on airplanes and fly them to the next stage at their (the organizer's) own cost.

One have to belive that thise time they had absolutely no other option but to cancel the whole thing. Organizational works start 12 months before the event, so you cant just pull out random stages enough for 9 days from a hat (the 2010 version will start from Budapest and the organization already started on some level)

The inboard info what I've heard (there were 4 cars 5 bikes and 3 racing trucks from Hungary entered the event) and can tell is that

-the financial damage that a normal privat entry (1 car with a non-racing service truck) is facing is about 80k euro (the whole event for such a team typicaly cost around 200-250k euro)

-ther are talks that organizers along with the works teams would throw a "subtitute rally" a 2 week long rally going thru (realatively) untroubled places of Afrika and taking place in early March but nothing is confirmed

-some teams took the earliest flight and are already home, some are crying in dissapointment and waiting for the descision to change (which of course is an unreal thing to wait for )

Last edited by alonso11; 5 Jan 2008 at 05:46.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 06:10 (Ref:2099741)   #22
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another interesting thing I've been told is that these deserts have always been full of outlaws. If you stuck on a dune, some of the locals come and help you just out of sheer sportmanship, some other locals -the outlaws- come threating with guns asking for money.

Things like this seldom happen to works teams as they have way greater media attention, helicopters above them and service crews all around, but a privateer quoted as saying that he has larger euro notes in every pocket of his overall and in different places of the car because if you are like 10 hours behind the leader in the dark you simply need to pay these outlaws.

Its an open secret among the participants and the Dakar has always been dangerous, but this time the threats must have been very serious having caused such a cancellation
Old 5 Jan 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2100041)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really gonna miss it to be honest, its a pure competitor event, and for that it has value, but the only think i used to like looking at is the scenery!
Old 5 Jan 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2100069)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 5 Jan 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2100084)   #25
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Apparantly it cost £26 Million to cancel the event.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/...ost-26million/