Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 9 Jun 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3260022)   #51
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Haha you heard it here first

How many years have you been predicting that one?
Probably for about 3 years. At some point the finances will not add up and the trust will finally pull the plug. The series loses money every year. The families businesses have shrank and the speedway has had some financial cutbacks. When it happens it will probably happen quick.

I think it's foolish to assume that there is no end to losses and finding the money to absorb that.

They've been shopping the speedway and series around quietly and there are interested parties but no one who wants to pay the asking price. They'd rather get it at a fire sale or not at all since it is not what it was.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3260087)   #52
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The George's will find a way to foul it all up. My - I hope I'm wrong but the George's knack in putting a bullet through their own feet is as certain as the sun rising in the morning.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3260222)   #53
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you say it enough maybe it will come through.

You were sprouting it during the split as well so 3 years is a bit conservative. My favourite was that CCWS was never going to fold though:$

And of course they have been shopping it around quietly but loud enough that you hear Once again you heard it here first
Old 10 Jun 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3260585)   #54
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The George's will find a way to foul it all up. My - I hope I'm wrong but the George's knack in putting a bullet through their own feet is as certain as the sun rising in the morning.
I think they have already shot their feet off.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3260940)   #55
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
This thread is to discuss tracks, please. There's other threads for that kind of discussion.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:33 (Ref:3261925)   #56
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Whatever happens, i hope they can spread the schedule out a bit. This multiple consecutive weekend nonsense is draining for me, a fan. I can't imagine what it must be like to be working on the damn circus.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3262032)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Whatever happens, i hope they can spread the schedule out a bit. This multiple consecutive weekend nonsense is draining for me, a fan. I can't imagine what it must be like to be working on the damn circus.
Be prepared for more, this season. As for double headers in 2014 I don;t know if they have been confirmed or not.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3262034)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
This thread is to discuss tracks, please. There's other threads for that kind of discussion.
I haven't been on this thread for the last few days so thanks.

Please keep the thread relevant.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3262035)   #59
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I don't 'mind' the double-headers (it wouldn't be my preference), it's current run of 4/5 consecutive weekends.

I love IndyCar but i still want a weekend off!
Old 13 Jun 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3262196)   #60
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Haven’t heard much about the 2014 schedule but I think Elkhart Lake and Quebec are possibilities and possibly another oval.
From Miller's Mailbag @ Speed.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...mailbag-612/P1
Old 13 Jun 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3262213)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't 'mind' the double-headers (it wouldn't be my preference), it's current run of 4/5 consecutive weekends.

I love IndyCar but i still want a weekend off!
The problem is threefold. Firstly the season could start earlier and secondly there's the Month of May, with a three week hiatus and thirdly there's only one race in September, so the majority of the races are crammed into June and July.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3262280)   #62
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Whatever happens, i hope they can spread the schedule out a bit. This multiple consecutive weekend nonsense is draining for me, a fan.
Me too. I loved the F1's two-week gaps of the 1990s. One weekend for racing, one weekend for life (or other racing! )
Old 13 Jun 2013, 20:13 (Ref:3262290)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Elkhart Lake would be contingent on the sanctioning fee. Previously they calculated it would need to be $250K in order for the track to have a chance at making any money.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3262299)   #64
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully paired with GrandAm/ ALMS category might make it more feasible
Old 14 Jun 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3262675)   #65
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I have my doubts about USCR doing a paired weekend with IndyCar at a place like Road America. The street circuits are one thing, but I don't particularly see it happening at Elkhart Lake.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3262781)   #66
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
How about SCCA World Challenge? IMSA may want them out of their weekends, given that the Conti Challenge is rival.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 06:33 (Ref:3262906)   #67
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The problem is threefold. Firstly the season could start earlier and secondly there's the Month of May, with a three week hiatus and thirdly there's only one race in September, so the majority of the races are crammed into June and July.
Take another look at the calender. The first and second factors you list are minor compared to the Mid-July through end of September slack period.

Indycar has four races before Indy, then seven race weekends including two doubleheaders in eight weeks from Indy (May 26) through Toronto (July 13 and 14).

After that though, the series only has three races over the next 11 weeks (Mid Ohio, August 4; Sonoma, August 25; Baltimore Sept. 1) before finishing up in Houston (Oct. 5 and 6) and Fontana (Oct. 19).

Let’s say that the 2013 schedule wasn’t Randy Bernard’s greatest achievement.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3263036)   #68
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Minor or major, they all contribute to the problem.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3264430)   #69
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Minor or major, they all contribute to the problem.
But I'm n sure that there are many good solutions to the first or second issue. Having a race earlier in the year is nice in theory, but where? And with Indy being a two weekend affair, that will always restrict the series' ability to stage more May races.

To me, the big schedule issues for 2014 are whether the series continues with doubleheaders and to what degree the concepts in the Boston Consulting Group report are adopted. Yes, some of what's in there is highly unrealistic but things like ending the season before football season starts and ending the season on the Indy road course are doable. Note that I didn’t say that I necessarily think they are wise…
Old 18 Jun 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3264479)   #70
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a bit late to this thread so apologies for weighing in on Mosport after the discussion has turned a bit.

I love Mosport/CTMP and go there frequently. I'd love to see IndyCar there, but there are a few reasons I can think of why it won't happen any time soon, if ever. Some have already been mentioned.

1) Way more catch fencing would be required. The recent renovations have added paved runoffs to a number of turns, including T2, which help, and there's more catch fencing at 3, 4, 5 and the exit of 8 than before (maybe other places too), but I think it's probably not enough for IndyCars yet. More $ would be required, although the pits/paddocks and access roads and tunnels are probably adequate for IndyCar now.

2) Ron Fellows said at one point that he doesn't see IndyCar at CTMP as long as the event is in Toronto. People say lots of things of course, and money can make anything happen, but I suspect he's being completely straight about this.

3) Here's the biggie - the Toronto race relies on casual fans and people who are there for a weekend of entertainment that just happens to be a car race, as much as it does dedicated racing fans. If the attendance is as low as others above have indicated, then how will Mosport/CTMP overcome this? Remember, and this is the important bit:

4) Almost nobody in Toronto has heard of Mosport, and even many who have, have absolutely no idea where it is. It's not well signposted from the adjacent highway (35/115; well, the exit is signposted ok but after that you're kind of on your own). It's not convenient to anywhere with major hotels (Bowmanville, I'm afraid, doesn't count; Oshawa isn't really that close). There is no public transit to it. A recent poster on the sadly-defunct American Le Mans forum even mooted taking a regional (GO) bus as close as possible and biking (!).

Arguments about Calgary notwithstanding, the only sensible place to put another IndyCar race in Canada is somewhere in Quebec, the heartland of motorsports fandom in this country. IMHO, of course.

Now, if someone could deal with the ownership, municipal regulations, and renovations to Ste. Jovite/Mont Tremblant...
Old 18 Jun 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3264509)   #71
TheMightyM
Veteran

Never say never, but it's hard to image IndyCar at Mosport anytime soon unless either the Toronto race collapses or somebody throws crazy money at IndyCar to hold a Mosport race. The main issue is that Mosport is simply too close to Toronto.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3264551)   #72
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Cleveland and Portland return to the motorsport schedule.

Also, Indycar needs to go to places without a headline race. The recently reopened Pikes Peak and Gateway come to mind.

Personally I would not like to see Mosport on the schedule. Not a fan of that track. Toronto is better
Old 18 Jun 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3264606)   #73
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
While I have voiced support for Toronto previously, um, how can you not like Mosport? It's really quite incomprehensible to me.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3264649)   #74
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure how someone could come to that conclusion either.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3264898)   #75
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Road America is under discussion, according to its boss (via Speed)