Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Jun 2004, 10:56 (Ref:992507)   #1
Chateaux
Rookie

Chateaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Changes !!!!

Some Le Mans updates.Be warned the circular system for getting into Blue, Red, and Green parking is dramatically different the Red car parks cannot be reached from the bypass any more. I have seen them moving the signs so that you cannot come off the bypass and will have to access via Arnage!!!! Major change!!! Arnage will be a traffic free zone from Wednesday a.m. The section of the track between Mulsanne Corner and Porsche Curves will remain closed to the public!!!! from 14.00 Wednesday until end of race. I understand that it is cheaper to pay the local authority rather than keep opening and closing it. Temporary granstand has been erected on outside of Arnage bend? not sure for whom. A giant Supermarche has appeared just south of Arnage

There are the dreaded clamping companies around from Wednesday. If you put up a tent in the wrong parts of the car parks, you will have to pay a £ 70 clamp fee to be realesed. There are also elapsed time cameras on new motorway sections from Alencon around Le Mans to Ecommoy.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 12:08 (Ref:992606)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's really helpful Chateaux, thanks very much for the heads-up.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 12:21 (Ref:992631)   #3
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info Chateaux!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 14:07 (Ref:992748)   #4
jpchenet
Rookie

jpchenet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you don't mind Chateaux but I've thrown this up on Club Arnage. With a note of who and where it came from of course!!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 15:38 (Ref:992830)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What, no fan access at Arnage/Indianapolis? I thought they used to have some viewing there?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Jun 2004, 15:41 (Ref:992832)   #6
Chateaux
Rookie

Le Mans Changes 2

Some more updates after driving around and going to ACO office. Virage Porsche will have a general admission access for practise ONLY !! There are loads of Grandstand seats left with the exception of Maison Blanche and Dunlop Essess. There will be police random personal!!! searches by the CRS on the entrances to the circuit.They have strict instructions as to what you are allowed to bring into the circuit, beware bottle / can openers will be considered offensive weapons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The cidre stands are back as are the Saumur Sparkling wines stands for those on a suicide run. The ACO office has plug in access for email and internet which is 5 euros a card via AOL

The French anti terrorist arm of the police will be out and about something about el quieda and his mates. The president of France will be in attendance on the Saturday during the drivers presentation.
Unfortunately those of you hoping to get close to the cars at place des jacobins will be kept well away from the cars. All in all the French Police are very very nervous. I would suggest that anybody trying to sneak up to Mulsanne staright area would be ill advised. It seems that even Le Mans is affected by the times we live in.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 15:50 (Ref:992845)   #7
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh no.... thanks again.

Last edited by vandijk; 3 Jun 2004 at 15:51.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 16:20 (Ref:992870)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks again, but I don't think we really need two threads. I'll merge them.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 16:22 (Ref:992872)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Re: Le Mans Changes 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Chateaux
I would suggest that anybody trying to sneak up to Mulsanne staright area would be ill advised.

Unless of course they have a viable team/car entry with which to supplement the currently withering entry list.......
Old 3 Jun 2004, 16:26 (Ref:992874)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
What, no fan access at Arnage/Indianapolis? I thought they used to have some viewing there?

That cannot be right, surely?

And are you saying that the viewing area at the Porsche Curves is not going to be open during the race? Or that an extra ticket will be necessary and if so, have they built a new admission area there?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 16:50 (Ref:992901)   #11
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
This is unbeleivable...

Can someone get this confimed?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 17:23 (Ref:992932)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It makes sense (bit is no fun), keeps the Mad Friday traffic all in one area (the road parallel with the campsite and pit straight), it sounds like the Mulsanne Straight will remain open because it's a major road with businesses etc. along the length whereas the Mulsanne corner to the Porsche Curves has (from memory) practically nothing other than trees along its length.

Quote:
I think that's a misreading of the original post. From the sounds of it, there is extra viewing....

I'm surprised at the story about the Porsche Curves viewing area, as in recent times they've been tarting it up to encourage people to watch from there.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 17:43 (Ref:992952)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were charging to stand up at the Kart Track wall two years ago during the race.

I'd heard the French were on Red Alert (their highest possible alert status) because of D-Day weekend but I assumed that was just around the coast. Why would terrorists blow up Le Mans?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 17:58 (Ref:992972)   #14
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
They were charging to stand up at the Kart Track wall two years ago during the race.

I'd heard the French were on Red Alert (their highest possible alert status) because of D-Day weekend but I assumed that was just around the coast. Why would terrorists blow up Le Mans?
Maybe it's someone wanting to blow up AUDI.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 18:10 (Ref:992978)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Guy, you're right - I misread the Grandstand bit and was picturing extra stands at Tertre Rouge. :confused: I think you're right, what they're doing is turning the return road into closed track for the duration, and only reopening (for local traffic) les Hunadières Thursday and Friday...

I wonder if that means that the Friday "festivities" will be curtailed? I guess if you like doing a circuit drive before the race, you'll have to do it before then.

Last edited by paul-collins; 3 Jun 2004 at 18:11.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Jun 2004, 18:30 (Ref:992992)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most of these I think can probably be lived with - although I suspect this is now the end of Mad Friday as a practical proposition. Mixed feelings about that....

I wonder - Porsche Curves viewing. Might the restriction only refer to stands there? After all, it is something of an ACO tradition to give you the run of the grandstands until the serious stuff happens and then herd you out.

Finally, can a local reassure me that the D140 will still be accessible from Arnage Gare SNCF, with the right turn at Virage Arnage heading off to Ecommoy/Tours? Because if not, I'm wondering how the heck one gets to the Virage Indianapolis spectator area at all!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 19:21 (Ref:993051)   #17
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
Just checked it with some 'friends/collegues' -- one had contact with the ACO person in charge of communications and told me not to worry at all.

-Mulsanne, Arnage and Porsche will be open as usual
-he also confirmed the President of France won't be there

Last edited by vandijk; 3 Jun 2004 at 19:23.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 19:24 (Ref:993054)   #18
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Maybe it's someone wanting to blow up AUDI.
LOL
Old 3 Jun 2004, 20:09 (Ref:993126)   #19
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Some more updates after driving around and going to ACO office. Virage Porsche will have a general admission access for practise ONLY !! There are loads of Grandstand seats left with the exception of Maison Blanche and Dunlop Essess. There will be police random personal!!! searches by the CRS on the entrances to the circuit.They have strict instructions as to what you are allowed to bring into the circuit, beware bottle / can openers will be considered offensive weapons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The cidre stands are back as are the Saumur Sparkling wines stands for those on a suicide run. The ACO office has plug in access for email and internet which is 5 euros a card via AOL

The French anti terrorist arm of the police will be out and about something about el quieda and his mates. The president of France will be in attendance on the Saturday during the drivers presentation.
Unfortunately those of you hoping to get close to the cars at place des jacobins will be kept well away from the cars. All in all the French Police are very very nervous. I would suggest that anybody trying to sneak up to Mulsanne staright area would be ill advised. It seems that even Le Mans is affected by the times we live in.
Which tabloid wrote this ?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 20:26 (Ref:993148)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

I wonder - Porsche Curves viewing. Might the restriction only refer to stands there?

There aren't any.

Just a reasonable sized grassed bank.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 20:27 (Ref:993152)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this maybe a case of over to Giles............
Old 3 Jun 2004, 20:38 (Ref:993175)   #22
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't see any search in sacks for ages at LM.
I don't see the reasons of more precautions as usual. The football match ? Well, since 20 years I have never never seen any fight or trouble between spectators !!!
Even beermontains seem to have been built as monuments dedicated to peace !
If authorities look for bombs, they will have lots of work, and of course we will cooperate.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 22:18 (Ref:993279)   #23
jpchenet
Rookie

jpchenet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
There will be police random personal!!! searches by the CRS on the entrances to the circuit.They have strict instructions as to what you are allowed to bring into the circuit, beware bottle / can openers will be considered offensive weapons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
That is impossible to put into effect. Several of the campsites are within the GA area so peope who have to open bottles/cans/tins will have to be allowed openers in!
Old 4 Jun 2004, 09:26 (Ref:993651)   #24
Chateaux
Rookie

Le Mans changes

seems to be an element of confusion arising from my previous posting.
The TRACK will be closed between Mulsanne Corner and Arnage, not the spectator area. The viewing area at Porsche curves will not require a ticket until race day but is strictly limited by numbers
Old 4 Jun 2004, 12:15 (Ref:993798)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Can we keep these in the original "Changes" thread?

I want any info that's going though, for sure.