Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24 Mar 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3047693)   #1976
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he also wouldn't be caked in 6 inches of makeup, wearing silly outfits and would have at least had a background in the sport.

it's not really handbagging the girl herself, like everyone says, she's an accomplished autocue reader, but it's shoddy by sky. they'd have done better to have ant explaining it directly to lazenby himself perhaps?
Old 24 Mar 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3047694)   #1977
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
She worked on A1 GP, seems like the logical choice to me.

As for the make up and clothes, is that entirely her choice? Or maybe the make up artists? (and whoever picks the clothes)
Old 24 Mar 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3047695)   #1978
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What makes me so damn annoyed is the fact that I am going to find it hard avoiding the result when the race is on at quarter to bloody three on a Sunday afternoon, what a pile!

Hope the whole Sky things bums completely, I really do, this annoys me so much.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 23:52 (Ref:3047701)   #1979
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
As for the make up and clothes, is that entirely her choice? Or maybe the make up artists? (and whoever picks the clothes)
like i say, i'm pointing the finger at sky. no beef against the girl herself

(usually presenters have a clothing allowance though i'm not sure about the f1 programme, and it depends on the situation. she was filming a feature outside of the studio on thursday in seriously overdone makeup and looked horribly out of place. bad makeup shows up strongly on hd tv as well, it looks like someone's painted the wall before sanding it down first)
Old 25 Mar 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3047714)   #1980
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I get the impression that the Sky part of the Sky F1 team are old football hacks caught completely unprepared at the complexity of F1. That's why both Lazenby and Thompson have that shocked rabbit-caught-in-the-headlights look. I'm not familiar with Lazenby but Georgie Thompson has a good temperament and can articulate an authoritative voice. There's no reason I can see that given time they won't gel into their roles. They don't need to be geniuses or rocket scientists, they just need a crash course in F1 101 and they'll get the job done.

I do think there's a problem with hiring nitwit, bunny media graduates just on the back of their pretty faces and fluttering eyelashes in sport overall. I don't think motorsport is particularly affected by this though. Whilst I find the likes of Pinkman to be invisible and McKenzie prone to asking stock questions in a watery, monotonous voice I do think there are women broadcasters like Louise Goodman and Diana Binks that are on the mark. The women who help broadcast racing in America are also very professional. In defence of McKenzie I was surprised and pleased to see her more fluent, comfortable and with a wider range during the Australia weekend.

As for what Sky 2012 are producing, it's not superior to BBC 2011 at all at this juncture. There's little chemistry between the team - although that may come with time. The Sky production values are an unremarkable - but again give that time.

I will say that while I do find Eddie Jordan's contributions to be quite horrific, I do think it added a kind of Dr. McCoy, Mr. Spock and Captain Kirk sense of camaraderie and 'spirit' to the BBC package that Sky just won't be able to rival.

Also unless they are going to fill it with other motorracing outside of the F1 family of series', the substance on the F1 channel is just too thin to be viable.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3047770)   #1981
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Whilst I find the likes of Pinkman to be invisible and McKenzie prone to asking stock questions in a watery, monotonous voice I do think there are women broadcasters like Louise Goodman and Diana Binks that are on the mark.
I have always found McKenzie to be right on the button and the most acomplished of all when talking to drivers. I don't find her accent monotonous in the slightest. I always found Goodman to be rather annoying as the standard "so what happened" question would be included for any driver walking back from the gravel trap.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3047773)   #1982
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
he also wouldn't be caked in 6 inches of makeup, wearing silly outfits and would have at least had a background in the sport.

it's not really handbagging the girl herself, like everyone says, she's an accomplished autocue reader, but it's shoddy by sky. they'd have done better to have ant explaining it directly to lazenby himself perhaps?
GT is far more experienced in racing than the incompetent Lazeby. He is the weak link and needs to return to rugby.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 09:13 (Ref:3047793)   #1983
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I have always found McKenzie to be right on the button and the most acomplished of all when talking to drivers. I don't find her accent monotonous in the slightest. I always found Goodman to be rather annoying as the standard "so what happened" question would be included for any driver walking back from the gravel trap.
Lee "bad luck Lewis, tell us what happened" McKenzie is a one dimensional reporter with a very limited range. She has improved in Australia with a bit more space but she is at best unremarkable. I think the family network explains her TV career. I'd sooner a more forceable character like Diana Binks.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3047810)   #1984
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'm a bit sceptical about the anti-Thompson comments. Mainly because we hear similar things whenever there is a woman involved. Beverley Turner, Louise Goodman...etc I think Georgie Thomspon is a pretty accomplished broadcaster meself.
That is not true at all! Women should be given just as much of a chance. And Georgie is fairly articulate and polished.

But good for an F1 programme? No, no and no again. And neither is Pinkham.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3047818)   #1985
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Ferrari drivers are running 1-2.

Wait..
Old 25 Mar 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3047821)   #1986
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I want to see Rosberg more racey. I can't ever remember him overtaking anyone! (I'm sure he has).
Old 25 Mar 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3047929)   #1987
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
David Croft a HUGE improvement in the race call today over his performance in Australia - must just have been first race nerves.

Made a few errors but nothing outrageous and Martin is there to correct them so all good - on balance a much better outcome for the race call and the two of them do seem to be gelling nicely.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3047946)   #1988
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
he also wouldn't be caked in 6 inches of makeup
For what it's worth, which is not very much, my girlfriend pointed out that Damon was more caked in make-up yesterday.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3047973)   #1989
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

Hope the whole Sky things bums completely, I really do, this annoys me so much.
Blame the Beeb, not Sky
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3047976)   #1990
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Much as I like Martin and Damon...I'm disapointed so little use is made of the SkyPad...seems Ant is under used in F1...Sports Cars and TV! There were so many more scenareo's I was hoping for an analysis of...not just Jenson knocking his wing off! Booo!
Old 25 Mar 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3048028)   #1991
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Blame the Beeb, not Sky
Blame Bernie Eccelstone. F1 should be on Channel 4 live.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3048030)   #1992
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
David Croft a HUGE improvement in the race call today over his performance in Australia - must just have been first race nerves.

Made a few errors but nothing outrageous and Martin is there to correct them so all good - on balance a much better outcome for the race call and the two of them do seem to be gelling nicely.
I didn't hear Croft's first attempt but he did O.K here. Although I hate when a commentator goes on about how a shower will "spice things up" as if the show is inferior. Brundle pointedly didn't take up this thread of thinking.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3048032)   #1993
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Blame Bernie Eccelstone. F1 should be on Channel 4 live.
No thanks, i'd rather pay than have ad breaks
Old 25 Mar 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3048033)   #1994
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
No thanks, i'd rather pay than have ad breaks
They'd probably do an ad & action split screen. Almost all the broadcasters where ads are obligatory seem to do it nowadays particularly given the amount of rage ads created at ITV.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3048036)   #1995
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think GT's very poor. She screams 'token woman' in there. It's embarrasing really. I know this whole push for equality and whatnot (and totally agree people should have equal opportunities, for that matter), but she's not good enough. Plain and simple. Whether she's a girl or a guy, doesn't matter. She's not good enough. It pains me knowing I could go up there and do a better job. I can't imagine what sort of money she's earning.

Selby
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3048043)   #1996
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I think GT's very poor. She screams 'token woman' in there. It's embarrasing really. I know this whole push for equality and whatnot (and totally agree people should have equal opportunities, for that matter), but she's not good enough. Plain and simple. Whether she's a girl or a guy, doesn't matter. She's not good enough. It pains me knowing I could go up there and do a better job. I can't imagine what sort of money she's earning.

Selby
As i was saying on here last night, i think she does ok, but maybe i'm just easily pleased.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3048047)   #1997
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Enough to buy a Porsche Cayman and crash it trying to park it while ****ed.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3048050)   #1998
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Enough to buy a Porsche Cayman and crash it trying to park it while ****ed.
According to Brinkman May, the Prosecutor in the case, she "bumped" into the other car, hardly as your making it sound
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3048052)   #1999
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
I do think there's a problem with hiring nitwit, bunny media graduates just on the back of their pretty faces and fluttering eyelashes in sport overall.
going off topic, but i'm offended by this complete inaccuracy. my cousin works for sky sports and sky news sports as a freelance journalist, and she's done everything right. she says yes to all shifts, regardless of when they are, she works hard, learns everything quickly and makes contacts where she can. the fact that nobody else did the same? not her fault.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3048054)   #2000
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I ahve been a victim of the bunny brigade, its sickening and for some reason suits seem to think people will talk to them.

They will talk to anybody as long as you ask the right questions!

It's just like race relations and same sex relations. Anybody in this situation of work given a chance is going to work hard and do the right thing.

Media work these days is all about presentation and how you sell yourself, not the most important thing, how you write and how you relate to people.

it's why people dont buy print media anymore and why most people think they could maybe do as good a job web writing or commentatin/presenting!
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky