Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Jun 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3091255)   #1526
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
i think NZSTFan is quiety scared that NZV8's might actually get a decent series going, and after all the hoopla with the ST cars, it took until their return to Hampton Downs to make the cars entertaining by not being so processional. they now need to make them standing start races.
Actually Chris Watson's newsletter today sung the praises of both series, it would be good to have them at the same meeting
Old 15 Jun 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3091257)   #1527
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Actually Chris Watson's newsletter today sung the praises of both series, it would be good to have them at the same meeting
chances of egos being left at the gate for that to happen ??
Old 15 Jun 2012, 06:22 (Ref:3091258)   #1528
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Saw these at the supermarket today
Old 15 Jun 2012, 06:23 (Ref:3091259)   #1529
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
chances of egos being left at the gate for that to happen ??
Almost none??

I've got to say though that with Puke and HD rounds scheduled for both classes, not to mention all the cool Historic action, this summer looks like it's gonna be busy! Yay!
Old 15 Jun 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3091284)   #1530
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Has anyone actually seen on of these TTi gearboxes in action? I can't seem to find a hell of a lot about them on the interweb.

It's kind of got that feeling that it's a bit of a great unknown... will it be indestructible stroke of genius or will it be marshmallow soft disaster?

Kinda topical considering the issues that the V8ST are having with what should be an adequately spec'd gearbox from a well respected supplier.
you could email Bruce Verdon and ask him
Old 15 Jun 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3091286)   #1531
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Saw these at the supermarket today
did you buy any?
Old 15 Jun 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3091289)   #1532
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect he's likely to say they'll be sweet as.

I suspect Quaife would have said a similar thing about their product as well.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3091329)   #1533
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
did you buy any?
Looked a bit healthy for me...
Old 16 Jun 2012, 02:55 (Ref:3091737)   #1534
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i think NZSTFan is quiety scared that NZV8's might actually get a decent series going, and after all the hoopla with the ST cars, it took until their return to Hampton Downs to make the cars entertaining by not being so processional. they now need to make them standing start races.

Quite the opposite in fact Smokin Joe, i think if the NZV8's do get off the ground it will provide an excellent feeder series to the SuperTourer Main game

And yes agree, standing starts would be a great improvement
Old 16 Jun 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3091742)   #1535
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Quite the opposite in fact Smokin Joe, i think if the NZV8's do get off the ground it will provide an excellent feeder series to the SuperTourer Main game

WHY DO THEY START RACES LIKE THAT?? TAKES AWAY THE EXCITEMENT FROM TAKEOFFS. LOVE WATCHING THE START OF RACES WHERE THEY TAKE OFF FROM STANDSTILL
Old 16 Jun 2012, 04:16 (Ref:3091745)   #1536
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

doesn't the main game already have a feeder series?
Old 16 Jun 2012, 05:54 (Ref:3091754)   #1537
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
doesn't the main game already have a feeder series?
not really, there were not many former NZV8 cars prepared to front for the challenge series, it could change though, if teams don't want to upgrade engines to the new spec.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3091822)   #1538
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
nah.. i meant V8SC

fan used to rattle off a lot of V8SC drivers names in line for a st drive ha
Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3091834)   #1539
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for sharing a bit of real info fellas.
I will continue to watch with interest.

Its going to be hard for MRX to ensure their margin is maintained as they build the chassis' piecemeal. I'm sure they'd prefer to knock them out as a production run
Old 16 Jun 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3091867)   #1540
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
WHY DO THEY START RACES LIKE THAT?? TAKES AWAY THE EXCITEMENT FROM TAKEOFFS. LOVE WATCHING THE START OF RACES WHERE THEY TAKE OFF FROM STANDSTILL
My understanding is that standing starts are much harder on drive-trains than rolling starts, and also not as safe. But yes, I agree they are more interesting
Old 16 Jun 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3092679)   #1541
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
How many new generation NZV8 cars will there be in the 2012/13 season?

I've heard (unsubstantiated) that between 3 and 5 have been sold but I presume they will need quite a few more than this to make up a credible grid. The MSNZ Gold Star Championship minimum criteria is 15 entrants in 75% of the Series rounds.

I have heard this too. Let's face it, it is not series with four or five cars, so they will have to run with old V8 cars. Cannot see Foggy or the Edgells returning to NZV8 and more of the remaining NZV8 teams have now sampled V8ST via V8CC (look at the entry list for the last HD round).

Be interesting to see the new NZV8 cars out running though - there has been endless comment and derision on here about V8ST reliability, but by and large what NZV8s have to match to even look like a reasonable threat is this:

A full day of testing of sixteen cars
15,000 at the first round
Two Bathurst winners in the field
Full live coverage on the Sunday afternoon

And reliability? Well, let's just see how the new NZV8 cars go - there's enough criticism on here of the STs that anything other than 100% reliability on the part of the NZV8s from the moment they hit the track is going to make those critics looks very, very foolish indeed.

And you are of course right Roger - it cannot be aGold Star competition with five drivers, but as you know from the AGM, the idiots running the show (if that's the right word for it, circus might be better) will change the rules the way they want

It pains me as a driver in NZ motorsport that me and EVERY single driver I race with and know think V8ST is the way to go and are thoroughly peed off that it is our money being used to wage a pointless battle that cannot be won against V8ST.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3092741)   #1542
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said Club Racer
Old 16 Jun 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3092842)   #1543
Club racer
Racer

Another gem I've heard is that NZV8 were supposed to be announcing a Mercedes engine and car last month, made a big song and dance about it with teaser 'watch this space, big announcement this month' PR drivel and then quietly brushed it under the table when they were given a quote for the crate (supercharged) Mercedes motor of some $150,000 and this was pre-modification to get rid of the supercharger and presumably do some work to the block and head to increase the compression ratio.

Just a rumour, but there's never any smoke without fire (for want of a better expression lol) and it sounds like Motorsport Promotions and MSNZ are just not doing the homework correctly. No surprises there.

Whatever else you say about Petch and the V8ST lot, you have to admire their tenacity in getting eighteen cars out there running and racing with the minimum of testing and development time and within four rounds they have rejuvenated V8 racing in this country and provided some great racing. This could only have been achieved with about 99% of the homework being done right. Sure they have had teething troubles. So what? Name one brand new series that doesn't.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 00:11 (Ref:3092867)   #1544
Club racer
Racer

Think you are also missing the point about the rolling starts. Well, two points as I see it. If you talk to any of the mechanics on the teams and the drivers/owners - and I actually did bother to do this at the Manfeild round - they make no secret of the fact that they too like standing starts, but the rolling starts put the cars through FAR less wear and tear. At this stage it appears that cost consciousness outweighs anything else. Is that a bad thing? The jury's out for me, but I can accept the teams and series view that cost is a key factor. After all, it's them paying. Perhaps the critics on here should ask the simple question of the mechanics, and ponder for a moment if they would like to cop the extra costs incurred through standing starts and what they would do as a team owner. I suspect there would be only one answer, though they will no doubt deny that.

The second point is that rolling starts, like them or loathe them, are pretty conventional in other series and have been for years. And not just in Indycars, NASCAR and other oval based series. There are several classes here doing it now outside of V8ST and F5000. Again, if you actually bnother to talk to people you will find that as drivers, they quite like the format of that race start. And why not? Got to be a bit more exciting than the handicap start if you are a driver. I'd love to see it in my series (LOL though I suspect I won't as it is run by old farty dinosaurs with no eye on the future whatsoever) - may be one rolling start, one standing start and one handicap. I think there are a few series like that, and I genuinely believe its the way to go. Great experience and variety for the drivers and something different for the spectators. Think as a driver I'd rather do two rolling starts than two handicap starts anbd I am sure - well I know - I am not alone. V8ST may be a little too extreme for me in terms of all starts being rolling ones, but again they have done their homework, and made a pragmatic decision based on cost and offering something different. I cannmot really see how they can be criticised for that - what would you all say if they did a bloody handicap start or two like we have to!

Keep the rolling starts boys, and vive la difference
Old 17 Jun 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3092984)   #1545
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
and here i was thinking i'd have a st-free sunday LOL
Old 17 Jun 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3093090)   #1546
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Has anyone actually seen on of these TTi gearboxes in action? I can't seem to find a hell of a lot about them on the interweb.

It's kind of got that feeling that it's a bit of a great unknown... will it be indestructible stroke of genius or will it be marshmallow soft disaster?

Kinda topical considering the issues that the V8ST are having with what should be an adequately spec'd gearbox from a well respected supplier.
There is a website for TT gearboxes at www.ttindustries.com

Pretty sure Boote's speedway car has a tt gearbox, obviously dfferent spec to NZ V8 box but that Car still goes with hp/ torque etc getting through to the back wheels and the box whine is ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArLjLtKAMI (boote)
Old 17 Jun 2012, 04:23 (Ref:3093134)   #1547
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Championship with handicap races included is very good for the under achievers of our world.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 05:46 (Ref:3093172)   #1548
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
Think you are also missing the point about the rolling starts. Well, two points as I see it. If you talk to any of the mechanics on the teams and the drivers/owners - and I actually did bother to do this at the Manfeild round - they make no secret of the fact that they too like standing starts, but the rolling starts put the cars through FAR less wear and tear. At this stage it appears that cost consciousness outweighs anything else. Is that a bad thing? The jury's out for me, but I can accept the teams and series view that cost is a key factor. After all, it's them paying. Perhaps the critics on here should ask the simple question of the mechanics, and ponder for a moment if they would like to cop the extra costs incurred through standing starts and what they would do as a team owner. I suspect there would be only one answer, though they will no doubt deny that.

The second point is that rolling starts, like them or loathe them, are pretty conventional in other series and have been for years. And not just in Indycars, NASCAR and other oval based series. There are several classes here doing it now outside of V8ST and F5000. Again, if you actually bnother to talk to people you will find that as drivers, they quite like the format of that race start. And why not? Got to be a bit more exciting than the handicap start if you are a driver. I'd love to see it in my series (LOL though I suspect I won't as it is run by old farty dinosaurs with no eye on the future whatsoever) - may be one rolling start, one standing start and one handicap. I think there are a few series like that, and I genuinely believe its the way to go. Great experience and variety for the drivers and something different for the spectators. Think as a driver I'd rather do two rolling starts than two handicap starts anbd I am sure - well I know - I am not alone. V8ST may be a little too extreme for me in terms of all starts being rolling ones, but again they have done their homework, and made a pragmatic decision based on cost and offering something different. I cannmot really see how they can be criticised for that - what would you all say if they did a bloody handicap start or two like we have to!

Keep the rolling starts boys, and vive la difference
just my opinion
Old 17 Jun 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3093311)   #1549
Racer Mike
Racer

New Zealand
Racer Mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
Another gem I've heard is that NZV8 were supposed to be announcing a Mercedes engine and car last month, made a big song and dance about it with teaser 'watch this space, big announcement this month' PR drivel and then quietly brushed it under the table when they were given a quote for the crate (supercharged) Mercedes motor of some $150,000 and this was pre-modification to get rid of the supercharger and presumably do some work to the block and head to increase the compression ratio.

Just a rumour, but there's never any smoke without fire (for want of a better expression lol) and it sounds like Motorsport Promotions and MSNZ are just not doing the homework correctly. No surprises there.

Whatever else you say about Petch and the V8ST lot, you have to admire their tenacity in getting eighteen cars out there running and racing with the minimum of testing and development time and within four rounds they have rejuvenated V8 racing in this country and provided some great racing. This could only have been achieved with about 99% of the homework being done right. Sure they have had teething troubles. So what? Name one brand new series that doesn't.
I have heard that inky has followed the geoff short safety car moto and bought a merc wreck for the engine for nzv8.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3093485)   #1550
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
They have yet to run a car in new specs, they couldn't get parity right over two makes.

What's the aero package for the Toyota?

Is Andrew mackenzie involved any more?

What is going on with the **** in the wind law thing?

What ecu are they using?

So many what's and no info

Last edited by Blackpearl; 17 Jun 2012 at 10:55.