Old 30 Dec 2016, 04:08 (Ref:3699064)   #451
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It'd generate great accidents and hilarious car problems too.
I'd doubt it, but they'd take so long to get up to speed (mentally & physically) it would be an embarrassment. Didn't we learn anything from Michael's second coming? The cars had changed and there was extremely limited testing.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3699086)   #452
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We did have an answer to PGA seniors tour, in GP Masters, which sadly didn't last long
Old 30 Dec 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3699113)   #453
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
I'd doubt it, but they'd take so long to get up to speed (mentally & physically) it would be an embarrassment. Didn't we learn anything from Michael's second coming? The cars had changed and there was extremely limited testing.
You'd have great accidents if you put Takagi in the car as suggested. You'd have car problems if you put the others in. The current drivers have enough problems with the cars (see Rosberg: Spain)

Rubens is off doing ELMS after some IndyCar and very successful Brazilian Touring Cars. I can't imagine he's looking at an F1 return. Villeneuve has been pretty unspectacular in everything he's done since 1997. Of a list of drivers likely to return, he'd be between Badoer and Ide.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3699181)   #454
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to being a little more serious.....

I believe Bottas will be a good match against Hamilton. Will he be as aggressive as Rosberg was when defending against Hamilton causing crashes? I don't know. For one thing he will be solid. I can't ever see him being booed on the podium either. I predict he will be the new Mika Hakkinen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 Dec 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3699182)   #455
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika broke out when he was seated in top machinery.

Old 31 Dec 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3699398)   #456
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would have preferred to see Pascal Wehrlein in the second seat, but I think
Valtteri Bottas will do a good job..
I don't see the point in a junior driver program if they don't have enough faith in the driver to promote him ..Of course Mr Marko at RedBull is at it again, not that they can talk they have buried the careers of several young drivers ..
Old 1 Jan 2017, 04:01 (Ref:3699487)   #457
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark Fogerty who is usually fairly accurate wrote in the Sun Herald paper today that Hulkenberg was going to be confirmed for the drive within days.Not sure how this could possibly come about and hard to believe but there you go.
Old 1 Jan 2017, 07:24 (Ref:3699500)   #458
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Bottas has been to the Mercedes factory pre - Christmas for an initial seat fitting according to motorsport.com and others.
Old 1 Jan 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3699519)   #459
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Mark Fogerty who is usually fairly accurate wrote in the Sun Herald paper today that Hulkenberg was going to be confirmed for the drive within days.Not sure how this could possibly come about and hard to believe but there you go.

Hope so, Hulk would be a way better choice than Bottas, but I fear that Merc's opposition to driver height and weight parity would make Hulk an unlikely choice!
Old 1 Jan 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3699530)   #460
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems odd that Hulkenberg's name is being thrown around now just as it looked nailed on for Bottas. Who would Renault get to replace him? Bottas? It seems like it wouldn't work out for so many concerned.

I don't really understand the ambivalence towards Bottas. His 2016 season was his best in F1 - destroyed Massa, and got results that his car shouldn't have been capable of. I often think the more low-key drivers like Bottas, Heidfeld, Glock get completely overlooked because they are quiet and not the most engaging of personalities. Bottas is probably the most clinical precise overtaker there is out there, but I guess it doesn't come across because he's not as "spectacular" as the way Verstappen et al go about their driving.
Old 1 Jan 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3699534)   #461
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I very much doubt it will be Hülkenberg.
Old 1 Jan 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3699545)   #462
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Me too.

Old 1 Jan 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3699566)   #463
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
With Bottas rumoured to have visited the factory, I can't see how anyone but him being in the seat, least of all the Hulk
Old 1 Jan 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3699604)   #464
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I very much doubt it will be Hülkenberg.
I would think it would be impossible for him to get out of his Renault contract.If he was still at Force India he would have been announced for Mercedes before Christmas I reckon.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:16 (Ref:3699658)   #465
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wehrlein To Sauber
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3699665)   #466
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would have preferred that he stay at Manor ..
Old 2 Jan 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3699672)   #467
S griffin
Veteran

So with Bottas almost certain to join Merc and with Felipe to take his place when it happens, it just means the two Manor seats are the only ones up for grabs
Old 2 Jan 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3699694)   #468
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Big chance for Bottas. Nowhere to hide now.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3699709)   #469
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
indeed. no where to hide. i am curious to not only see how well he does but what level of support he receives from Merc.

no doubt it will be equal equipment, but in terms of the teams 'rules of engagement' and preferable strategies etc one would have to think their will be issues if not outright controversy, both real and imagined by the press and fans.

certainly there will be a huge amount of pressure early on for Bottas to match or outperform LH if he hopes to add favour to his cause.

that in and of itself will add a level of drama and excitement to what on the surface looks to be a 'boring' choice.

for my part, i am rooting for Bottas, in part as a LH fan, because the better LH's team mate does the better LH does.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3699733)   #470
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
indeed. no where to hide. i am curious to not only see how well he does but what level of support he receives from Merc.

no doubt it will be equal equipment, but in terms of the teams 'rules of engagement' and preferable strategies etc one would have to think their will be issues if not outright controversy, both real and imagined by the press and fans.
I would be shocked if the team is not fully and "equally" behind Bottas. They have jumped through a LARGE number of hoops to make this move happen. I haven't followed Bottas much, so I can't speak to his relations with those at Williams, but I would assume his prior history of how he interacts with his team will forecast his internal acceptance at Mercedes.

As to real or imagined issues and controversy... This is an observation and not a criticism of Lewis based upon prior behavior. But I expect much of that will hing upon how well Lewis does in relation to Bottas. If Lewis is able to maintain a consistent lead there will likely be less drama. If Bottas is a challenge out of the box and/or Lewis has bad luck and we see a 2017 season that looks much like 2016... then I full expect drama at Mercedes.

Personally, I am very interested to see how things go at Mercedes in 2017.

Richard
Old 2 Jan 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3699751)   #471
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I read somewhere that Lewis does have a say in who gets the seat, is that correct anyone?
Old 2 Jan 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3699772)   #472
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe they have to discuss with him, but he has no say. He's often referenced that he doesn't have a clause that can veto a team mate like Vettel and Alonso do. He's a legend.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3699773)   #473
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I believe they have to discuss with him, but he has no say. He's often referenced that he doesn't have a clause that can veto a team mate like Vettel and Alonso do. He's a legend.
Indeed so. Both of them.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3699774)   #474
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 3 Jan 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3699947)   #475
S griffin
Veteran

Hamilton deserves respect for not being afraid to race against his team mates on equal terms. He doesn't the insecurity of Schumi