Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Jun 2003, 09:37 (Ref:622686)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!

The first prototype race under the 2004 regs is barely ten months away, yet I haven't seen anyone produce even an artist's impression of what the new cars might look like. How come? Has anyone committed to building one?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 10:32 (Ref:622715)   #2
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
hartham has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
don't think that you will see any new chassis' in 2004.... maybe a new engine though
Old 6 Jun 2003, 12:05 (Ref:622787)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With Le Mans 2003 beckoning, I can't even begin to think of 2004......
Old 6 Jun 2003, 13:54 (Ref:622913)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yves Courage has said that after the race he'll begin a serious design project, first to determine whether to go with a roof or without. From dailysportscar:
Quote:
So having developed a new car for 2003, he’s planning 2004’s programme now. “We are working on a comparison between an open and a closed car. Our life is filled by the will to win this race. Maybe some real complete outsiders have been forgotten too quickly."
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Jun 2003, 14:51 (Ref:622967)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I would imagine that you will see at least two new 2004 chassis. From what I have been led to understand, one is testing already.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 17:56 (Ref:623064)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Piper design already published a drawing of its future prototype, if I can remember...
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:24 (Ref:623088)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Who has already tested, Fogelhund?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:25 (Ref:623091)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought that the Piper had been built, based on the anticipated 2004 regs....

I'll confirm that....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:48 (Ref:623111)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I can't confirm whether it is their GT or proto that has tested for certain, though I'm told both are coming. I can't really say who it is either. Zoom^3
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:30 (Ref:623140)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a 2003 Piper which has been adapted for 2004. One car so far has been sold to an FIA SCC team.

Lola are building a new LMP900 or LMGTP that will apparently bare a resembelence to the new carbon GTS car they are producing for an un named manufactuer. Lola have said they hope to be first out testing with a 2004 car before the end of the year.

Audi have started the design of there new LMGTP and have said they have a budget to test this year if they so wish.

The leading Spanish Dallara Nisan team have been asked to design and build an LMGTP for a , presumably Spanish manfactuer. Could be Seat or a smaller company. however the team have to fund the project themselves through sponsorship etc.

Dome are building an LMP750kg car as they believe more customers will want this type of car but will also build a new LMP900/LMGTP if there is demand (RFH/Kondo etc.)

Don't forget the Lister is a brand new car and has been designed to hit the ground running in 2004 with 2003 being a development year.

The designer, Ady Thorby said the car could relativley easily b converted to LMGTP due to the same cockpit dimensions for the 2004 LMP900/LMGTP regs.

Courage are looking at an LMGTP car also.

Theres also the fact that Prodrive have been involved in 2 new prototypes for manufactuers, one believed to be Mazda. Mazda did actually produce a car for 2003 which Ford blocked as it would only have one year before having to be replaced.

I would also expect Porsche to return with a prototype in 2005 as they have ruled out F1 and the DTM already which only really leaves LM.

It seems from what I've read and heard that most LMP1 cars will be closed coupes due to there better aerodynamics and asthetics for a manufactuer. Afterall look how long manufcatuers persisted with the closed GT1 cars despite being slower than the LMP900 cars.

Last edited by JAG; 6 Jun 2003 at 19:33.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:06 (Ref:623457)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, but when will we see the wretched things?!
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:27 (Ref:623471)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Yes, but when will we see the wretched things?!
err, 2004

There will be announcments at LM, PLM and the Le Mans Tournament race at the end of the year.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 03:46 (Ref:623554)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope everybody doesn't go closed cockpit....

I want some "coupes" and "spyders"

Variety is the spice of life...

Old 7 Jun 2003, 07:09 (Ref:623609)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt

I want some "coupes" and "spyders"

Variety is the spice of life...
Can't agree more ; but I'm not scared about it, we'll have spyders again next year... everybody cannot aford a brand new car each year...

Last edited by Fab; 7 Jun 2003 at 07:10.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 12:19 (Ref:623809)   #15
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reasons as to why ACO decided to "grandfather" the present chassis into the '04 racing season. '02-'03 cars still have some life in them, so why consign them to the trash heap for this rush to new cars. And, as Fab said, not everyone can afford the new cars.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 00:04 (Ref:624173)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt

I do

I've seen enough open protos over the last 4-5 years to last me for quite a while.....
Old 8 Jun 2003, 00:37 (Ref:624180)   #17
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same here Aysedasi, I have scene plenty of open protos over the last few years. I would love to see some closed GTP cars come back. Even though I had first watched Le Mans on the tele in 2000, I'm gettin kind of burnt out on the open cars. Does anyone know if Audi has confirmed on the 2004 return with a GTP? And what about Porsche? Will they do LMP or GTP? When will they come back? Can't wait for Porsche to make their return to Le Mans, where they belong. Also, I wouldn't mind if Audi came back in 2004, as long as it was with a GTP car!!!
Old 8 Jun 2003, 00:40 (Ref:624182)   #18
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awwww... I like open-cockpit cars.

They're neat.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 08:19 (Ref:624293)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's all a question of what you like, veeten. Noone is wrong and noone is right to like what they do. I "grew up" on Group C, which is probably why I like the closed cars so much. Having said that, back around 94/95 when the open protos appeared on the scene, I remember being quite releived to see something difterent. I still say a field of Jag, Porsche, Merc, Nissan and others streaming into Dunlop is one of those sights you never forget.....
Old 8 Jun 2003, 09:10 (Ref:624325)   #20
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
being from the class of 98 i grew up with both...and so i'd like more roofs, but not all roofs thank you!

also looking forward to seeing if the current crop of "supercars" make it onto the race track...the enzo, merc, ford gt, etc..

funnily enough my favourite image of lm is at dunlop, that famous 2000 picture of mcnish driving the(open!)audi one-handed and putting the other one to his eyes to shield him from the early morning sun. awesome!

Last edited by kdr; 8 Jun 2003 at 09:10.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 13:48 (Ref:624538)   #21
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
Well guys, I go further back than both of you. (oh god, showin' my age again... ) I remember the 60's, with the Chapparal, Lola T70, Ferrari 330 P3-4, Ford GT40 MkI, II, IV, Porsche Carrera 6, 908/LH, and others.

The 70's, after the Ferrari-Porsche wars, were a bit dull, with the Mirage-Ford and all. Picked up a little in the 80's, with the rules re-written to get the Renault/Gordini going. Unfortunately, they hadn't counted upon Porsche comming up with the 936, and causing some headaches for those engineers & officials.

Sure there's some gaps, but I do remember a good amount.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 16:13 (Ref:624687)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by veeten
Awwww... I like open-cockpit cars.

They're neat.
Don't worry, you'll have one host for roofed cars (Ayse) and one host for open cars (me)... deuce !

In fact, I'd love to see both, as we had in 1999, racing for victory...

Ho, I forgot ! That's what we have this year !!!

Last edited by Fab; 8 Jun 2003 at 16:13.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 21:26 (Ref:626476)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Both have merits, and I know that we wills ee both next year....

I enjoy being able to see who is in the seat when they go by...can't do that in a closed-cockpit car...

BTW...a fellow gearhead who is a friend of mine has a Dan Gurney photo from the 1960s shading his eyes at Le Mans...I've only seen the photo once, but the car looked like a closed top Second generation Shelby Cobra????

This was before I followed Le Mans...I was a kid in the 1960s....did Dan ever drive a Cobra before he did the Ford GT40 thing in the late 1960s???

Old 9 Jun 2003, 22:25 (Ref:626553)   #24
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
Yes, and incredibly enough was teamed with Bob Bondurant in '64 with the Cobra Daytona Coupe. 1st in class and 4th overall at LeMans.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 22:34 (Ref:626560)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That's gotta be the shot!!!!

Looks exactly like the Cobra Daytona Coupe...(Just went by his office and peeked in the window at it....he's out this week...probably making a secret trip over to watch it "live" with all of you!!!!