Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Apr 2016, 04:14 (Ref:3632494)   #51
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Young Scott has some thinking to do....
And a race in the STCC this year for giggles...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Apr 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3632598)   #52
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And a race in the STCC this year for giggles...

?

First I've heard of this...
Old 14 Apr 2016, 12:27 (Ref:3632605)   #53
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is on the AA website.

I suspect that it is some sort of encouragement to stick with GRM.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3632704)   #54
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe I'm being stupid here, but how do these quotes from Gary Rogers or the Volvo bloke point to an extension of the excisting contract? All GR says is, that they know what Volvo will do. Good or bad. And the other one is basically explaining why they chose the WTCC and why V8SC and STCC aren't all that great for the international brand
Old 14 Apr 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3632745)   #55
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Is on the AA website.

I suspect that it is some sort of encouragement to stick with GRM.

Cheers.

I don't know why you'd bother to be honest, STCC is a club series compared to V8SC in terms of driver quality. If it's a PR thing and I'm under the belief that it would be-in conjunction with Volvo, then that would be the only logical reason.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 19:06 (Ref:3635749)   #56
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I don't know why you'd bother to be honest, STCC is a club series compared to V8SC in terms of driver quality. If it's a PR thing and I'm under the belief that it would be-in conjunction with Volvo, then that would be the only logical reason.
The car usually raced by The Swedish Prince is free for the first race weekend and I believe Volvo is trying to get Scott to race in it for PR reasons.

I hope they pull it off because I'd love to see Scott race over here even if it's just a one off.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3635830)   #57
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Cheers.

Why so negative?

Of course it's a small series compared to V8SC (however don't overrate V8SC, it gets little to no coverage in Europe and McLaughlin is a nobody here) but at the end it's still an official Volvo entry.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 11:13 (Ref:3635836)   #58
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Why so negative?

Of course it's a small series compared to V8SC (however don't overrate V8SC, it gets little to no coverage in Europe and McLaughlin is a nobody here) but at the end it's still an official Volvo entry.

Not being negative but trying to understand why they'd go all the trouble to make that happen for STCC-if it was for WTCC then I'd be impressed but in my eyes STCC is not a strong national touring car series. Not overrating V8SC at all, I'm not one of those idiots that truly believes that the series is well known and followed in Europe when it really isn't. If there is any following it would be in the UK from what I've seen but yes those numbers would be pretty small. And yes McLaughlin is a nobody there so why would they want to put him in one of their STCC cars?
Old 23 Apr 2016, 11:19 (Ref:3635838)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the competition for Mr McLaughlin's services is a NASCAR/IndyCar/IMSA/V8SC team owner, going and racing in the motherland of the brand for a works squad in that series is one way to show how importantly they value the pilot...
Old 23 Apr 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3635840)   #60
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
STCC is the home series of Volvo. If these sort of things help to extend the GRM-Volvo partnership I can only applaud it.

And I like it when drivers race in other series.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3636192)   #61
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confirmed now according to GRM's Fb page. Great news and certainly "worth the bother"

Evokes memories of Mark Skaife and Tony Longhurst contesting a round of the French(?) Touring Car Championship for Nissan and BMW respectively in 1993.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 08:00 (Ref:3636194)   #62
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Be interesting to see how he goes. I'm sure he'll get up to speed very quickly. Hope he does well
Old 25 Apr 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3636217)   #63
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Evokes memories of Mark Skaife and Tony Longhurst contesting a round of the French(?) Touring Car Championship for Nissan and BMW respectively in 1993.
Was the World Touring Car Championship at Monza. Was held when a number of series were running with 2 litre cars to the same spec. Paul Radisich won it driving a Ford Mondeo.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3636222)   #64
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Was the World Touring Car Championship at Monza. Was held when a number of series were running with 2 litre cars to the same spec. Paul Radisich won it driving a Ford Mondeo.
Skaife & Longhurst both did a round of a national series in Europe (French or Italian from memory) in preparation for their drives in the World Cup at Monza
Old 25 Apr 2016, 11:50 (Ref:3636232)   #65
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Skaife & Longhurst both did a round of a national series in Europe (French or Italian from memory) in preparation for their drives in the World Cup at Monza
I thought it was STW Cup?
Old 25 Apr 2016, 12:23 (Ref:3636236)   #66
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skaife raced the Nissan Primera in a French Championship round at the Le Mans Bugatti circuit in mid-September, then came back here to race at Bathurst, then flew back to Monza for the World Cup.

Longhurst was supposed to do Spa with BMW but they pulled out, i'm not sure if he got another chance to do a "warm-up" like Skaife did though
Old 26 Apr 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3636555)   #67
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
STCC is the home series of Volvo. If these sort of things help to extend the GRM-Volvo partnership I can only applaud it.

And I like it when drivers race in other series.
Well said and agree.

It be great if Scott can have a decent weekend.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 06:43 (Ref:3636620)   #68
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Volvo Signs New 3 Year Deal With GRM

2017/2018/2019 sorted...
Old 27 Apr 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3636623)   #69
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over to you Mr Penske/McLaughlin...
Old 27 Apr 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3636640)   #70
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who wrote that crap?

Spelling and grammatical errors everywhere.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 09:03 (Ref:3636646)   #71
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Who wrote that crap?

Spelling and grammatical errors everywhere.

It's James Phelps why so surprised?
Old 27 Apr 2016, 09:21 (Ref:3636652)   #72
Umai Naa
Veteran

Oh, right.

Somehow I missed the part where he scribbled his name on it with his best crayon.

So no, not really surprised anymore.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3636661)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wait Volvo for 3 years, the same day as Virgin Australia named as major sponsor

Reckon there is humble pie being eaten tonight for tea
Old 27 Apr 2016, 12:13 (Ref:3636682)   #74
EL GT
Rookie

New Zealand
Petrol Heaven
EL GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Volvo Signs New 3 Year Deal With GRM

2017/2018/2019 sorted...

Great news for the sport, and lets hope they now secure Scotty.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 02:11 (Ref:3636788)   #75
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Wait Volvo for 3 years, the same day as Virgin Australia named as major sponsor

Reckon there is humble pie being eaten tonight for tea
Good to see.

A series sponsor and manufacturer commitment. Reminds me of those heady days of 1987.