Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Dec 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2604820)   #126
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now you really have broken a golden rule,histories should never be looked at too closely,something might become glaringly obvious!
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2607583)   #127
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might be buying a 50's saloon that has an "RAC Motor Sport Certificate". Can anyone shed light on what this document is, as the seller is using it in part to "pitch" the car to me and describes it generally as "FIA Papers" which I somehow suspect is a mild exaggeration of the truth.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2607686)   #128
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokystove View Post
I might be buying a 50's saloon that has an "RAC Motor Sport Certificate". Can anyone shed light on what this document is, as the seller is using it in part to "pitch" the car to me and describes it generally as "FIA Papers" which I somehow suspect is a mild exaggeration of the truth.
IIRC the early pre ''Homologation'' forms were thus described. Certainly this paperwork won' t take you racing today but might provide the basis of an HTP. It ain't worth anything on the value IMO.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2607734)   #129
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose that if your looking to invest your beans in a new car, an 'pre investment' of a set of genuine homologation papers to study would be a prudent purchase, if necessary, employing the services of someone who can honestly/accurately compare 'chips with chips' would at least negate the posibility of purchasing an FiA legal hotrod or a 3 legged ostrich etc, I don't know about the old-old papers, but I think the old Fia papers ( 90's etc) are pretty much identical to the new HTP technically. I don't know about before that, Jeremy will no doubt be able to confirm, I've always thought specific Homologation papers should be the first and last reference point.

Last edited by zefarelly; 3 Jan 2010 at 19:43. Reason: still can't spell
Old 3 Jan 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2607744)   #130
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Thanks a lot gents. In all honesty as I'm not going to be doing any "proper racing" anytime real soon rather just amateur hillclimbs/sprints/etc. in a cheap old bucket o' bolts the papers don't really mean much at the moment anyway. But I thought it would be good to have a bit of bargaining leverage by knowing if these papers are of any true worth to the value of the car or not. Then if need be I'm at least able to "call bull$&!#" on the seller if he's trying to figure that into his offer.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 08:37 (Ref:2607896)   #131
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Smokeystove, I think treat them like an MOT, valid on the day of issue!
Old 4 Jan 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2607915)   #132
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Smokeystove, I think treat them like an MOT, valid on the day of issue!
Sounds like often the papers are more "as in period" than the cars themselves