Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Dec 2016, 17:41 (Ref:3694232)   #76
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
Obviously Rosie and Dieter are the other two but which is the third car?
I believe it's a new addition to the Doran collection. The post on Facebook states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Doran Facebook
Hi, I'm looking for an experienced mechanic/technician to work on our RS200's.
We are currently rebuilding the Pikes Peak car, Rosie the RallyCross car has a long list to complete after its full rebuild and then we are building another RallyCross car from scratch.
Who knows somebody interested?
I can only think of two possible uses for another rallycross RS200:

- Retro Rallycross: I assume alongside Pat.
- British Rallycross Championship: as I believe that Group B cars are still permitted.

Or am I missing some options? Is there a possibility that Liam (or perhaps Pat) might attempt the British Championship in an RS200?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3694257)   #77
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gary Baker' old car probably, that would be the only basic rallycross version around.

It looks silver, the bottom one is the Knuttel one with the bascially spaceframe chassis.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 09:39 (Ref:3694439)   #78
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I believe it's a new addition to the Doran collection. The post on Facebook states:

- British Rallycross Championship: as I believe that Group B cars are still permitted.

Or am I missing some options? Is there a possibility that Liam (or perhaps Pat) might attempt the British Championship in an RS200?
I didn't think the Group B cars were allowed in the British Championship any more? Wasn't that why Lawrence Gibson parked up the 6R4?
Old 7 Dec 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3694460)   #79
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From this years regs:

Any vehicle originally homologated to Group B may use aerodynamic devices which do not conform to 5.1.4t or 5.1.4u provided they were homologated for the vehicle in question.
And for 6R4 engines: Only normally aspirated 6cyl engines up to 3.5ltr capacity are permitted

So I presume group B cars can run in the British Championship
Old 7 Dec 2016, 11:02 (Ref:3694466)   #80
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just think Lawernce had had enough, I think the car has been sold on now actually.

Didn't Flaherty buy it?
Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3694515)   #81
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I just think Lawernce had had enough, I think the car has been sold on now actually.

Didn't Flaherty buy it?
Yes Flaherty now has the Gibson 6R4 (or at least - the most recent version of it ).
Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3694522)   #82
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The silver RS in that pic I know nothing about. Might be worh someone posting that pic up onto an RS200 page.

I know Rantanen's was for sale, but it isn't that car, and obviously Maynards are doing up Hoppy's. That will hopefully be ready next year sometime. And it obviously isn't the Glomma Papp car.

The only one here I know of was Gary Baker's but I have no idea what state it was in. The one on the pic looks in good nick and with freshish paint. So no idea really.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3694524)   #83
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Wasn't that why Lawrence Gibson parked up the 6R4?
I thought it was due to the cost/difficulty of acquiring parts? As RichP has pointed out, there are references to Group B cars in the current regulations, so based on that I assume they are still permitted.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 09:38 (Ref:3694717)   #84
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I thought it was due to the cost/difficulty of acquiring parts? As RichP has pointed out, there are references to Group B cars in the current regulations, so based on that I assume they are still permitted.
You could well be right - I just seemed to remember that the Group B cars got nudged out as part of the 'make everyone run something new(ish)' drive a few years back. Maybe that one never went through (like the super modified '10 year' rule or whatever it was).
Old 8 Dec 2016, 14:35 (Ref:3694816)   #85
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The silver RS in that pic I know nothing about. Might be worh someone posting that pic up onto an RS200 page.

I know Rantanen's was for sale, but it isn't that car, and obviously Maynards are doing up Hoppy's. That will hopefully be ready next year sometime. And it obviously isn't the Glomma Papp car.

The only one here I know of was Gary Baker's but I have no idea what state it was in. The one on the pic looks in good nick and with freshish paint. So no idea really.
I'm pretty sure Baker had a spare tub.........
Old 8 Dec 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3694830)   #86
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The pic of the car though shows it as silver red and blue, and it doesn't look worn out or faded.

SO it might not be one.
Old 9 Dec 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3695008)   #87
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Or am I missing some options?
Steve, the option that's missing and the most likely one in my view is the Martin Schanche Trophy (for Group B cars running in Europe next year onwards.)

Will be interesting to see if Mark Flaherty decides to run the ex-Lawrence Gibson 6R4 in the Martin Schanche Trophy too. I've not asked him (yet) but wouldn't be surprised! Mark has always had a soft spot for the marvellous MG and he has the vehicle and may well have the budget to make a serious go of the new Trophy.

Interesting times ahead.....

Cheers, Steve
Old 9 Dec 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3695009)   #88
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
Steve, the option that's missing and the most likely one in my view is the Martin Schanche Trophy (for Group B cars running in Europe next year onwards.)

Will be interesting to see if Mark Flaherty decides to run the ex-Lawrence Gibson 6R4 in the Martin Schanche Trophy too. I've not asked him (yet) but wouldn't be surprised! Mark has always had a soft spot for the marvellous MG and he has the vehicle and may well have the budget to make a serious go of the new Trophy.

Interesting times ahead.....

Cheers, Steve
What's the Martin schanche trophy all about haven't heard of that
Old 9 Dec 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3695030)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Flaherty did run in europe in 1992 I think, and did OK.

I have no idea what this is all about, an affort to engage with the odler fans I presume. They ran the cars in France at an event at the end of last year, Pat was there as was Loeb in a T16
Old 12 Dec 2016, 11:01 (Ref:3695477)   #90
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
Ah, I didn't know about that! That's an interesting development, are there enough Group B cars in Europe with owners willing to use them?

I'm still holding out for my British Championship theory: would love to see an RS200 mixing it with the newer machinery one last time!
Old 12 Dec 2016, 11:26 (Ref:3695482)   #91
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would guess if he has lost his Monster backing, he wouldn't be able to afford a full campaign, so this might be his only option, to keep himself in the limelight so to speak.

Was running the DS3 on some road in Dubai I think recently, footage of him doing stupid speed on a straight. The car is tuned to death now.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3695497)   #92
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I would guess if he has lost his Monster backing, he wouldn't be able to afford a full campaign, so this might be his only option, to keep himself in the limelight so to speak.

Was running the DS3 on some road in Dubai I think recently, footage of him doing stupid speed on a straight. The car is tuned to death now.
I haven't seen that? There are some clips of the car in California, I think its part of filming for the third Doonies film (participation in which implies that he hasn't lost Monster backing).
Old 12 Dec 2016, 13:53 (Ref:3695504)   #93
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I was just guessing, hoping more than anything as as long as he is associated with them means I will not be buying any of their products in the near future and I would buy the odd sugar free can now and then in the summer.

Has anyone heard of bad publicity?

Especially since the Gatebil saga. I wrote to Monster too, hope a few others did!
Old 14 Dec 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3696184)   #94
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah, I didn't know about that! That's an interesting development, are there enough Group B cars in Europe with owners willing to use them?

I'm still holding out for my British Championship theory: would love to see an RS200 mixing it with the newer machinery one last time!
Steve, yes there are enough suitable cars (and drivers with budgets) for there to be some Group B-related competition in 2017 and it's fantastic that Martin is happy to endorse the Championship bearing his name.

There was a Group B rallycross display at Lydden over the WRX weekend, of course and there was a static display and on-track racing at Mettet, France last autumn. This brought out a fine array of two wheel and four wheel drive Group B machinery including Renault 5s, a Renault Alpine, a Quattro, two MG Metro 6R4s (Mark Flaherty and Rob Gibson), a Pug 205 T16 and Pat Doran in 'Rosie' the RS200 amongst others. Am going by memory so can't recall the other cars taking part.

Like you, I'd love to see the Group B cars competing against the modern supercars. Can't see that happening over the same meeting that the Group B cars are competing against eachother, though.

Shirley Gibson has been working on the Martin Schanche Trophy for some while now and it's going to be fascinating to see what happens in the new season.

Cheers, Steve
Old 15 Dec 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3696357)   #95
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think this is largely a good idea.

My only personal issue with it is that it will be used by IMG as a replacement for other formula's, especially in the UK. Next year we don't even have S1600 which is good racing and a variety of cars, instead we have the Norwegian rwd championship. And of course this GpB thing.

So as a fan you are being sort of short changed compared to a fan in Sweden or France where you get ERC too, and you can bet we will be paying more yet again in 2017 if we go. I will not be this year, unless they get say 20 GpB cars there!!

And being brutally honest, a lot of them look great but run like a bag of nails, a lot of them seem to have permanent misfires which takes away some of the spectacle. I have never seen or heard the Gollop Metro run properly and I have seen it a few times now, the Doran RS200 hasn't run right the two times I saw it, though it seemed OK in France and the Iversen Rs200 was a bag of nails.

Gibbo's car always runs well and Enda's Metro did as did the ex Wiklund car, so I hope they do get them running better.

If they run a proper series that might sort itself out I hope

As a further note, there has been some news that the ex Gollop 309 has been purchased and is going to be rebuilt into a broadly simil;ar car to what Will used in 93. The previous owner has been on here in the past looking for info but thankfully didn't do much with it, so as a shell it is pretty much as it was. I think the guy that runs the ex Needell Metro has bought it, so hopefully he can get it to run better than the Metro does!!

SO looking ahead you have that, and Terry Maynard's RS200 coming too.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 09:51 (Ref:3696359)   #96
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
So as a fan you are being sort of short changed compared to a fan in Sweden or France where you get ERC too, and you can bet we will be paying more yet again in 2017 if we go. I will not be this year, unless they get say 20 GpB cars there!!
Have to agree here - the British round of the WRX is looking less and less appealing - lower entry in WRX, poor support class, high ticket cost. Sad to say really but it's not looking like a 'must see' any more.

Quote:
As a further note, there has been some news that the ex Gollop 309 has been purchased and is going to be rebuilt into a broadly simil;ar car to what Will used in 93. The previous owner has been on here in the past looking for info but thankfully didn't do much with it, so as a shell it is pretty much as it was. I think the guy that runs the ex Needell Metro has bought it, so hopefully he can get it to run better than the Metro does!!
I saw that article as well (I'll see if I can dig the link out) - it'll be good to see another 'classic' back up and running. It was always a bit of an odd car though wasn't it? It's been converted to run with Honda S2000 running gear so there will be quite a bit of work to get it back towards orginal spec (although again reading the article it's not going to be put back to 100% original spec due to the scarcity of parts).

Edit: Article link:

http://www.rallycrossworld.com/2016/...s-restoration/
Old 15 Dec 2016, 10:06 (Ref:3696362)   #97
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Thanks for the information Steve! I saw some clips from the racing in France a few months back and it looked like they had a decent number of reliable cars running.

As you say, it seems unlikely that we will see Group B and modern Supercars running together at any World rounds: that's why I was clinging to the hope that someone might run one in the British Championship before they remove them from the regulations!
Old 15 Dec 2016, 12:02 (Ref:3696381)   #98
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Bert

The original car ran 205 T16 suspension and engine I think, mainly to run in a lower weight category, so Will could run less than a tonne. But for whatever reason the car never really worked.

I am not sure the guy who bought it ever did much with it, he was on here a few years ago asking for advice and pictures etc , and I do recall mention of S2000 running gear, but looking at the picture, it looks like a shell only, with the panels, no running gear, so unless a tranny tunnel and engine pickups have been changed it should be fine.

I think they are planning on running a 405 based motor, like he did in the 306.

Hansen and Pailler used T16 engines, but they were works backed and at the time Citroen were running a Dakar programme so spares were easier to find, it would be insanity to try and run one of those engines now!!
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3696406)   #99
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I am not sure the guy who bought it ever did much with it, he was on here a few years ago asking for advice and pictures etc , and I do recall mention of S2000 running gear, but looking at the picture, it looks like a shell only, with the panels, no running gear, so unless a tranny tunnel and engine pickups have been changed it should be fine.
I think the S2000 rear diff is on the car in those pictures - certainly there's something in there at the rear end (and it doesn't look heavy duty enough to be a 'proper' rear diff/axle).

Quote:
I think they are planning on running a 405 based motor, like he did in the 306.

Hansen and Pailler used T16 engines, but they were works backed and at the time Citroen were running a Dakar programme so spares were easier to find, it would be insanity to try and run one of those engines now!!
Yep, the MI16 engine is what they're talking about using - it's really the only option, as you say T16 engines and parts are very few and far between (and any that do exist are better off being used on genuine T16 cars tbh). I guess the running gear will also be 'off the shelf' items too so the car will be externally accurate but with a very different spec under the skin.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3696411)   #100
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Only one person I would get for the job and that's Tony Bardy.

HIs cars are some of the best prepared I have ever seen in any motorsport, let alone rallycross where they get covered in dirt!

I bet he would love to get his hands on it too!! He has basically kept the 306 running for over a decade!