Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:09 (Ref:3464407)   #76
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Agreed - one result isnt going to change the direction of a national marketing and brand strategy.
don't you mean lack of direction and brand strategy ??

the whole Holden vs Ford racing rivalry should be part of their focus. the two brands have been selling their wares on the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" philosphy for a very long time, and if they can't see a correlation between V8 racing and selling cars to loyalists, then the marketing dept. must have rocks in their heads.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:19 (Ref:3464440)   #77
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
don't you mean lack of direction and brand strategy ??

the whole Holden vs Ford racing rivalry should be part of their focus. the two brands have been selling their wares on the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" philosphy for a very long time, and if they can't see a correlation between V8 racing and selling cars to loyalists, then the marketing dept. must have rocks in their heads.
"Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" has been irrelevant for a long time now.

How much money has Toyota tipped into local motorsport by comparison to Ford and Holden over the last decade or two? And then have a look who sells the most new cars?
Old 13 Oct 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3464614)   #78
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford seems very committed to starting afresh with the new Mondeo and the Mustang with press releases claiming 13000 buyers have already shown interest in the Mustang despite it's release being a year away. The initial allocation is reported to have already been spoken for with dealers already taking $1000 deposits despite no final specs or pricing being known.
Ford is obviously excited and no doubt these cars will sell with a healthy profit margin, and will also represent a number of conquest sales where buyers come over from other manufacturers.
It is pretty sad though for the Falcon loyalists, who have kept Ford going , are feeling unwanted and unloved. Sure Falcon sales are low, but still better than the Aurion for example, but this is obviously not the fault of those who have kept buying them . Ford should be promoting the last Falcon, particularly the XR6 and XR8, and flogging as many as possible to not just sentimentalists prior to the Mustangs release. It seems loyal Falcon buyers and their money are just taken for granted, but Ford will risk losing these core customers if they alienate them too much by making them feel like the unwanted stepkids at a family gathering.
Perhaps Falcon & Territory production has been reduced to such a low level that Ford doesn't see the need to advertise them ? They can sell what they make and have no desire to make any more ?
Old 13 Oct 2014, 21:21 (Ref:3464664)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Phelps is in the paper today, telling the world why Ford should stay...

Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Oct 2014, 02:52 (Ref:3464788)   #80
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its an interesting scenario as an owner of a reasonably new Falcon, what car do I look to purchase in the next 3 years when looking to upgrade? What largish sedan will be on offer from Ford.

In reality the FG-X is not much different to the FG I own despite some body panels and therefore a 2015/2016 FG-X would likely be a viable option to about 2020, If I wanted to drive what I am now.

So I begin thinking about the Mustang now, sure its large and minus two doors, but there is a reasonable power option there without having to resort to a Mondeo style car, and I dont blend into the crowd.

If this is my thinking as a consumer, what is Ford thinking in its racing investment? The FG-X may race on until the endof the 2016 V8 season, but do they start pushing for the Mustang as its the new hero car and therefore potential future racer. Holden/GM must be thinking the same thing as 4 pot turbo Chinese Commodores are not likely to stir the loins of consumers, but Camaros will.

I think the current V8 formula will die gracefully and the racing itself will have to go the way of the GT style we see in the US (its pretty good if you havent watched it). This will showcase many more brands and may influence my next purchase as a consumer too.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3464821)   #81
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Phelps is in the paper today, telling the world why Ford should stay...

Story Here
Alot of emotion in that article.... who was he writing it for?
Old 14 Oct 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3464878)   #82
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Alot of emotion in that article.... who was he writing it for?
Daily Telegraph.

I wasn't going to read it, but I needed to see the emotion for myself. It's funny, he sells the story telling everyone they're out, then builds on his own story telling everyone why they should stay. I mean, it makes sense, but it still seems very odd.

Also, he seems to have forgotten Volvo were there.

And lastly, do Australians actually feel that badly about Toyota or Hyundai? We have a local lad doing WRC for Hyundai and I am very proud of him to have a factory backed WRC seat. I have supported Toyota in many events that they take on (Le Mans, WRC, F1, local touring car champs, etc), they don't have a bad name in my eyes at all. The first lines of that article just really rub me up the wrong way.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3464883)   #83
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Daily Telegraph.

I wasn't going to read it, but I needed to see the emotion for myself. It's funny, he sells the story telling everyone they're out, then builds on his own story telling everyone why they should stay. I mean, it makes sense, but it still seems very odd.
Well yes it's in the tele, but I more meant that the article seems very personal...

...is he trying to win back some cred after what he wrote last week was ripped apart by the people it concerned...

...was it written on behalf of V8Supercars to keep the Ford pullout in the news, keep the pressure on them to make a decision to keep their $$$ in the series?
Old 14 Oct 2014, 08:50 (Ref:3464884)   #84
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh I see, agenda.

Honestly I think most on here could put together something better than that piece.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3464895)   #85
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Daily Telegraph.

Also, he seems to have forgotten Volvo were there.

And lastly, do Australians actually feel that badly about Toyota or Hyundai? We have a local lad doing WRC for Hyundai and I am very proud of him to have a factory backed WRC seat. I have supported Toyota in many events that they take on (Le Mans, WRC, F1, local touring car champs, etc), they don't have a bad name in my eyes at all. The first lines of that article just really rub me up the wrong way.
Toyota, WRC 1995......but maybe I need to get over it.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 23:31 (Ref:3465129)   #86
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=11342191

FPR drivers pushing for FoMoCo to stick around
Old 14 Oct 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3465131)   #87
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This ad probably soaked up the whole 2014 Falcon marketing budget..

Old 14 Oct 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3465133)   #88
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 15 Oct 2014, 00:11 (Ref:3465137)   #89
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Amazing to realise that a team that promised so much for so long and delivered so little
has now delivered two consecutive Bathurst victories after the change in team ownership.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 02:09 (Ref:3465155)   #90
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Amazing to realise that a team that promised so much for so long and delivered so little
has now delivered two consecutive Bathurst victories after the change in team ownership.
There's something to be said for having a team owner nearby, not half a world away.

Towards the end of Bathurst, before David Reynolds' retirement, the top 10 was made up of 5 ProDrive Aust prepared cars. Quite an achievement.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3465157)   #91
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
"Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" has been irrelevant for a long time now.

How much money has Toyota tipped into local motorsport by comparison to Ford and Holden over the last decade or two? And then have a look who sells the most new cars?
Toyota sells cars based on their long-held reputation of being conservative, reliable cars. Their market is substantially people who have no interest in cars and just need something to get reliably from A to B.

Part of Ford's market success is based on people like me who would never consider another brand because of Ford's involvement in motor racing. That doesn't necessarily mean we buy a Falcon, but it could be something else from the Ford range. Take that away and Ford's sales figures would look even gloomier.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3465909)   #92
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The FG Bathurst Winner looks very tuff right there.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 21:35 (Ref:3466053)   #93
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So naturally Ford will now produce 500 limited edition Bathurst back-to-back XR8s with small decals commemorating the wins, get Pepsi Max on board with a few small decals along with Castrol etc. Right? Right?

Oh no, wait, Ford instead keep spending their marketing cash where some 19 year old bird tells me how much space there is for her high heel shoes in a Fiesta.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3466056)   #94
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Oh no, wait, Ford instead keep spending their marketing cash where some 19 year old bird tells me how much space there is for her high heel shoes in a Fiesta.
Exactly!
Have you checked lately the number of "19 year old birds" that are in the market compared with middle aged race fans?
And have you worked out where you might establish a lifelong brand loyalty more easily?
Ford is taking a leaf out of the Toyota Corolla playbook and us enthusiasts have to wake up to the fact that cars now are something to provide a personal space for you communications media while getting you from point A to B. They are no longer a personal performance or status thing among most teens and twenties.
We have to create other reasons to watch and participate in our sport and other commodities to use it as a billboard to sell their product.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3466058)   #95
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
So naturally Ford will now produce 500 limited edition Bathurst back-to-back XR8s with small decals commemorating the wins, get Pepsi Max on board with a few small decals along with Castrol etc. Right? Right?

Maybe because that's by far the category they sell the most cars in.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3466077)   #96
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Exactly!
Have you checked lately the number of "19 year old birds" that are in the market compared with middle aged race fans?
And have you worked out where you might establish a lifelong brand loyalty more easily?
Ford is taking a leaf out of the Toyota Corolla playbook and us enthusiasts have to wake up to the fact that cars now are something to provide a personal space for you communications media while getting you from point A to B. They are no longer a personal performance or status thing among most teens and twenties.
We have to create other reasons to watch and participate in our sport and other commodities to use it as a billboard to sell their product.
What stops them from trying to appeal to both market sectors, particularly when their radio and TV ads come across as painful for the demographic that I seem to fall in (I'm not the only one who seems to have picked up on this...)?
Old 17 Oct 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3466078)   #97
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
But do men find those commercials to be nauseating and turn them away from the brand?.........I think so.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3466079)   #98
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
But do men find those commercials to be nauseating and turn them away from the brand?.........I think so.
Exactly!

Ford dealers talk about the difficulty in moving Falcons, how hard would it be to create and market some kind of 'special' XR8 model commemorating Bathurst wins?
Old 17 Oct 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3466084)   #99
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Correct, but Ford don't care. Blokes are buying their Rangers, not the Falcons. Young women are lining up to buy small cars in droves and they want a piece of the action, and if it means targeting that market instead of the older, smaller demographic, so be it.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3466088)   #100
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Blue Oval to boost Falcon production

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
It's also by far the category (Fiesta) they make the least amount of money on. The competition is intense.

There's life in the old bird after all:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257D7400234DC0

Maybe it is still the case of win on Sunday, sell on Monday :-)