Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jan 2017, 07:01 (Ref:3703296)   #176
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Thought I read on another thread here that the whole hangar project is £20million, and didn't they get some lottery funding for it too?
(or was I dreaming?)
No, you weren't. Correct on both counts. The list of contractors and consultants for the new centre reads like the 'who's who' of the modern museum / experience / heritage centre world...... Nice little earner for many!
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3703327)   #177
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well it would be. Next accounts, to December 2016, not due until September 2017.

Unfortunately that doesn't give an accurate picture of today's situation. However, their cash position is very transitory as it relies heavily on advanced ticket sales for the upcoming GP, and the fact that Silverstone continued for a further year says something.

And I add my view that no public money should be used for the circuit. If CVC and the other shareholders of F1 hadn't drained it of all it's revenue, there would have been enough in the kitty to stop all the escalator clauses in the circuits' contracts. And now they want to sell it to a media operation that is having to borrow nearly $2 billion to fund the purchase. Madness.
If "lowly" Outlon Park can fund a new footbridge over the exit of Deers Leap, then Silverstone should have no excuse for a lack of bridge at the new pits straight.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3703344)   #178
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But:

1) It would spoil the view from the BRDC Grandstand in the 'Head On' position
2) It would ruin the Camera shot, although would be good for smothering with adverts.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3703351)   #179
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Surely if Bernie wanted the British GP he would dig into his own pocket and not complain about the lack of government funding, Just shows he's easy to see through
Old 20 Jan 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3703862)   #180
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Surely if Bernie wanted the British GP he would dig into his own pocket and not complain about the lack of government funding, Just shows he's easy to see through
If Bernie was easy to see through he wouldn't be where he is today.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3703864)   #181
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I'm also staggered that to convert the hanger building into a heritage centre providing a 2 hour 'interactive experience' is going to cost £20M! As a comparison a well known superstore brand is building a brand new store (which may well be bigger than the hanger) in our area, including demolition of an existing site, creation of car parking, landscaping, etc and we are told the budget for that is £4.5M...

I hope the estimator for the Wing is not leading this project too...!
Just a minor point, have just attended a conference with a major supplier of materials to the construction industry and over beers asked their Project Manager what would be the expected budget for a new superstore? A figure of £20/25 million was their opinion, plus the demolition cost you mention. I quote this just for interest.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3703870)   #182
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Just a minor point, have just attended a conference with a major supplier of materials to the construction industry and over beers asked their Project Manager what would be the expected budget for a new superstore? A figure of £20/25 million was their opinion, plus the demolition cost you mention. I quote this just for interest.
That is interesting. It was Lidl I was referring to and they were apparantly saying it was a £4.5m development.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3703886)   #183
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Ah, OK but a typical Lidle store is very much smaller that a Superstore
and typically simple in design so that may be possible but for an out of town Tesco type store the figure you quote would hardly cover the cost of Structural steel. Was just interested in your figure
Old 22 Jan 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3704252)   #184
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Ah, OK but a typical Lidle store is very much smaller that a Superstore
and typically simple in design so that may be possible but for an out of town Tesco type store the figure you quote would hardly cover the cost of Structural steel. Was just interested in your figure
The Hanger is a listed building so cannot be knocked down
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3704427)   #185
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Email received by BRDC members this morning includes this statement:

The BRDC wishes to make clear that recent press reports suggesting that talks have been unsuccessful and that the British Grand Prix will definitely be dropped after 2019 are speculative and wrong. According to BRDC Chairman, John Grant, “Our objective is to preserve the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come, but of course we can only do this if it makes economic sense. As I have said before, we will be considering over the next six months if we should give notice of our intention to exercise the break clause in our Grand Prix contract at the end of 2019. No decision has been made or will be made until mid-July. In the meantime, we will be using this period to explore with all interested parties, hopefully in private, various ways in which we might work out a more sustainable proposition.”

I think this was reflected in some press reports
Old 23 Jan 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3704576)   #186
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems that MSV are no longer interested in taking over Silverstone so that takes one serious and able party out of the equation.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127855
Old 23 Jan 2017, 23:30 (Ref:3704608)   #187
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
pretty sure at this point that the conversations with silverstone were just to get a better deal out of donington.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 00:14 (Ref:3704613)   #188
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that BE is jobless, running a(nother) circuit?
Old 24 Jan 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3704683)   #189
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Donington was ever a likely place to hold an F1 race again, the problem was Gillett was dumb enough to get taken in by Bernie!!
Old 24 Jan 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3704750)   #190
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting shift in viewpoint from the old to the new:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38730606

I think the part about the European heart is very encouraging.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3704757)   #191
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
My theory is that the Silverstone race fee wont change, or if it does it wont be by much, however what they will offer is some kind of additional revenue streams to exploit of some kind.

I personally wouldnt attend a GP anymore because my interest in the sport has dipped so much and the various things I used to love about the sport have been erased. £149 for basic entry is too much when your interest in the sport is something approaching "passing". If a ticket was £80 then I might consider attending again, however I don't think im their target audience any more. I'd rather attend the Blancpain GT for £25.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3704773)   #192
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Me too.

There are not many evenst I would pay more than 50 quid to see these days, the cover prices of these things are just crazy now, and when you actually add up what you are getting, it simply does not add up.

The only time I would spend that is if they did what they should do at all of them and make every GP a festival of top end racing, have a touring car race, F3, FF1600, proper historics, huge campsite, bands, charity auctions, track rides, loads of things that makes that entry fee worth it. As standing on hardcrete for 4 races is simply insanity, even if it's a good race. IN my view

All the ideas are there from lots of people, but there is just no imagination anymore.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3704793)   #193
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Me too.

There are not many evenst I would pay more than 50 quid to see these days, the cover prices of these things are just crazy now, and when you actually add up what you are getting, it simply does not add up.

The only time I would spend that is if they did what they should do at all of them and make every GP a festival of top end racing, have a touring car race, F3, FF1600, proper historics, huge campsite, bands, charity auctions, track rides, loads of things that makes that entry fee worth it. As standing on hardcrete for 4 races is simply insanity, even if it's a good race. IN my view

All the ideas are there from lots of people, but there is just no imagination anymore.
Sounds like the British Grand Prix in the 80's when the F3 and BTCC racers were often the highlight of the day!
Old 24 Jan 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3704799)   #194
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Carey has done alright so far is his role as top dog and saying the British GP is secure is a big gold star for me. Let's hope the calendar gets better with him in charge
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3704809)   #195
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was saying good things on BBC just now. Making the GP a week long festival in the cities and at the track. The purist may hate it, but the ballyhoo sells seats and adds value. IMO of course, and I'm sure I'll be countered here very soon!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3704814)   #196
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I don't think Donington was ever a likely place to hold an F1 race again, the problem was Gillett was dumb enough to get taken in by Bernie!!
In fairness I think Bella was referring to a negotiating position vis a vis getting a good deal for Donington. The GP formed no part of that strategy.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3704816)   #197
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
He was saying good things on BBC just now. Making the GP a week long festival in the cities and at the track. The purist may hate it, but the ballyhoo sells seats and adds value. IMO of course, and I'm sure I'll be countered here very soon!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Having a circus and bands playing is fine and great and all adds value (to some people) to the weekend. However if the core product is broken, then no matter how many Taylor Swifts or passenger laps thrown in as bonus candy would make me attend.

What they should be focusing on is the financial structure of the teams, better (free?) TV coverage if ratings are dropping, having cars that can follow each other in corners, getting rid of artificial "band aids" like DRS, actually putting driver skills first and having fully manual starts without electronic nannying.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3704817)   #198
S griffin
Veteran

Indycar always make it a festival for their race weekend, so I can see how it could work for F1. However I agree, we still need the racing better
Old 24 Jan 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3704822)   #199
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Having a circus and bands playing is fine and great and all adds value (to some people) to the weekend. However if the core product is broken, then no matter how many Taylor Swifts or passenger laps thrown in as bonus candy would make me attend.

What they should be focusing on is the financial structure of the teams, better (free?) TV coverage if ratings are dropping, having cars that can follow each other in corners, getting rid of artificial "band aids" like DRS, actually putting driver skills first and having fully manual starts without electronic nannying.
Aren't we talking about two different things?

When I started attending GPs we had three days of track action. Free practice on the Friday (substitute thrursday for Silverstone and Monaco). We had qualifying for the lesser grids on Friday, and for F3 and Touring Cars Saturday), then we had a full programme of races on Sunday. It was a motorsport festival. In 1982 for the entire weekend event I recall paying in the region of £200.00 for tickets, camping etc. Plus I had to drive from north of Aberdeen.

The point being, if the show, or entertainment is there, the people will attend. What's the feel for a two day three race club event?
Old 24 Jan 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3704848)   #200
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter, the problem with your memories from way back when is that the average attendee at a GP weekend (in the UK) was a motorsport enthusiast. Nowadays, and I speak from my experiences at last year's event, is that the vast majority of the spectators were F1 voyeurs. They had absolutely no interest in the other categories on track, and on the Saturday afternoon when the F1 qualifying finished, all the grandstands emptied and the people went home.

When the action stopped at the end of the day, the only people sat in one of the larger grandstands was the 4 of us, a dozen or so other spectators and the security staff, who outnumbered us.

And Mr Sideways' former companions from Brands Hatch those many years ago were out in force on Sunday, standing up, cheering and clapping Hamilton every time that he passed by (and any other British driver that they thought they recognised, often mistaking Alonso for Button) whilst booing Rosberg when he went by.