Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Aug 2015, 22:34 (Ref:3569487)   #1
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Livery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Drivers completeing the Quad

A year or two ago F1 magazine ran a small chart that listed out the active drivers that had won the "Big 4" races....Monaco, Silverstone, Monza, and Spa. This got me thinking about who had actually done it in the past...so I calculated out the following....very interesting...

Fangio completed this with the '1957 Monaco win.

Farina completed this with the 1953 Spa win

Coulthard completed this with the 2002 Monaco win

Hamilton completed this with his 2012 Monza win...needs another Monaco win to complete his 2nd QUAD

Prost completed 2 QUADS
Won Silverstone in 1993 to win his first Quad
Won Monza in 1995 to win his second Quad

Schumacher completed the Quad 3 times...coming up 2 Silverstone wins short of a 5 Quads

Senna completed his Quad with a 1993 Monaco win...a Silverstone win short of his 2nd Quad.

Vettel completed his Quad with wins at Monza and Spa in 2013

Other notables:
Alonso needs a Spa win to complete the Quad
Raikkonen needs a Monza win

Ascari needed a Monaco win
Jack Brabham needed a Monza win
Tony Brooks needed a Monaco win
Jim Clark needed Monaco
Mika Hakkenen needed Monza
Damon Hill needed Monaco
Juan Montoya needed Spa
Jackie Stewart needed 2 Spa wins to get 2 Quads

Really wasn't expecting to see Coulthard and Montoya on this list of greats.
Old 29 Aug 2015, 10:04 (Ref:3569574)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bit unfair on those drivers that raced between 1971-82. No Spa race then
Old 29 Aug 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3569674)   #3
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bit unfair on those drivers that raced between 1971-82. No Spa race then
I know...Lauda would have had it if not for Brands and Zolder.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 16:39 (Ref:3570273)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the response Livery!
Old 3 Sep 2015, 08:24 (Ref:3570968)   #5
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But didn't Prost retire at the end of '93, how did he win Monza, or any races in '95???
Old 5 Sep 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3571466)   #6
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrb2002 View Post
But didn't Prost retire at the end of '93, how did he win Monza, or any races in '95???
Typo...it was 85
Old 29 Aug 2015, 12:04 (Ref:3569595)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although no one really from that era is in the nearlys? Although they were also hampered by Silverstone and Brands alternating. Hence no Lauda, despite his three British GP wins!

Good lists though. DC goes on about how he won the big ones and that makes him all happy inside.
Old 29 Aug 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3569610)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
has anyone done so in a single season?
Old 29 Aug 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3569673)   #9
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
has anyone done so in a single season?
A few came close...
Ascari came close but needed Monaco in 52
Jim Clark needed Monaco in 63
Damon HIll needed Monaco in 94
Senna needed Silverstone in 90
Vettel needed Silverstone in 11
Old 29 Aug 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3569624)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do remember in 2008 they were all wet!
Old 3 Sep 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3571064)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Coulthard in illustrious company there.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 07:40 (Ref:3646250)   #12
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livery View Post

Hamilton completed this with his 2012 Monza win...needs another Monaco win to complete his 2nd QUAD

s.
Hamilton's win at Monaco, gives him his second "Quad"
Old 1 Jun 2016, 09:26 (Ref:3646260)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can you tell us/me who or why these four particular races have been designated as the 'Big Four'? I cannot recall ever hearing of the 'Quad' before, and wonder just when this was regarded as important. None of the circuits mentioned have held a Grand Prix every year since 1950, although Monza has only missed out once, in 1980 when the Italian GP was run at Imola.
It seems a somewhat illogical choice of circuits to give importance to.

Puzzled of Luton.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3646267)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And to add to your puzzlement, Bob, it is pointless trying to compare what Fangio achieved at these circuits as opposed to any over the others, let alone Hamilton. Apart from Monaco and possibly Spa, the other two tracks bear little resemblance to the circuits of 40 or 50 years ago; I doubt that Fangio, or a number of others from the list would even recognise the tracks as they are now. Even Monaco has changed considerably, with even the tunnel being rebuilt in 1973.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 1 Jun 2016 at 10:00.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 11:49 (Ref:3646298)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Can you tell us/me who or why these four particular races have been designated as the 'Big Four'? I cannot recall ever hearing of the 'Quad' before, and wonder just when this was regarded as important. None of the circuits mentioned have held a Grand Prix every year since 1950, although Monza has only missed out once, in 1980 when the Italian GP was run at Imola.

Puzzled of Luton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And to add to your puzzlement, Bob, it is pointless trying to compare what Fangio achieved at these circuits as opposed to any over the others, let alone Hamilton. Apart from Monaco and possibly Spa, the other two tracks bear little resemblance to the circuits of 40 or 50 years ago; I doubt that Fangio, or a number of others from the list would even recognise the tracks as they are now. Even Monaco has changed considerably, with even the tunnel being rebuilt in 1973.
Agree with both of you!!

What a load of nonsense.

I always thought there was only the big 3 races that mattered around the world: Monaco. Indy and Le Mans (plus maybe Nurby 14 miler and Spa?)

Some of the F1 races these days are about as significant as Nigel Farage.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3646411)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Puzzled of Luton.
The opening poster described them as such and I believe it was intended as a bit of fun. While not anything official you will note that Malaysia is not included in these.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3646286)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

Silverstone is still fast, as is Monza. Both classic tracks still
Old 1 Jun 2016, 11:50 (Ref:3646299)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Silverstone is still fast, as is Monza. Both classic tracks still
Classic tracks might include the 1950's Spa, Nurburgring, Monza ,Reims, and Pescara. Everything else is for sissies.

I rate the Big Four as any four Tilkedromes.

Old Git.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3646312)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Old Git.
Not very nice to call S griffin that, Bob! Where are your manners?
Old 1 Jun 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3646316)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Not very nice to call S griffin that, Bob! Where are your manners?

Obviously you don't know S Griffin, Mike***

Quote:
I always thought there was only the big 3 races that mattered around the world: Monaco. Indy and Le Mans (plus maybe Nurby 14 miler and Spa?)
I never saw the relevance of that particular trio either, three completely different events, in which, certainly today, few would even attempt all three.

It seems on a par with commentators spewing out irrelevant statistics;

"And Oboko Umpah becomes the first Mongolian llama breeder to drive a Mannerless F1 car in practice at Abu Dhabi."

Wow! The first time that has ever been done.! Amazing you would have thought that it was years quite common by now.

I understand that you can watch a quiz show on BBC called Pointless, I really must take a look sometime to find out where these 'records' come from.

*** S Griffin, just joking I have little doubt that you neither old or a git.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3646337)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's just two different galaxies apart, their era and todays.

The safety being the differentiating factor. i.e there was..uh...none in Fangios era.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 09:10 (Ref:3646515)   #22
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I understand that you can watch a quiz show on BBC called Pointless, I really must take a look sometime to find out where these 'records' come from.
They also have one called Pointless Celebrities. The most appropriately named show on television.

Last edited by TrapezeArtist; 2 Jun 2016 at 09:10. Reason: Typo
Old 2 Jun 2016, 17:44 (Ref:3646620)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Classic tracks might include the 1950's Spa, Nurburgring, Monza ,Reims, and Pescara. Everything else is for sissies.

I rate the Big Four as any four Tilkedromes.

Old Git.

I could tell I was getting old, when the BTCC driver I have an autograph from is not one of the ones who are older than me and the driver was Aiden Moffat
Old 1 Jun 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3646339)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It seems a slightly artificial construct to me, certainly not one that is much talked about. Not like the Triple Crown (and even then different people mean different things by it).
Old 1 Jun 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3646343)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It seems a slightly artificial construct to me, certainly not one that is much talked about. Not like the Triple Crown (and even then different people mean different things by it).
Lol yes indeed!

Rugby players hold particular prestige in their own 'Triple Crown'