Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3761327)   #376
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Whoa mate, don't come in here with actual paddock opinion. The armchair experts will soon be correcting you and telling what the 'real' opinion is! Waste of your time I'm afraid.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3761328)   #377
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in other news Mclaren have announced that Vandoorne has been retained for 2018.
Great news indeed. A new contract. His home GP. A new spec Honda engine. Fantastic news for SV.

Except for the fact he'll be starting from the very back of the grid. Again!
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3761393)   #378
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If Stoffel can get into the points again this weekend, he'll have done very well.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3761548)   #379
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Maybe. But just speaking the truth.

And I'm not alone on this opinion. Most everyone in the F1 paddock feels/saying the same. Just have look around on social media and you will see some well known/respected paddock personalities saying the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Whoa mate, don't come in here with actual paddock opinion. The armchair experts will soon be correcting you and telling what the 'real' opinion is! Waste of your time I'm afraid.
off topic...but thats what we call 'insider baseball' on this side of the pond.

granted Kimi's retention may be an uninspiring choice but surely it has merit...one of the most popular drivers on the grid driving for one of the most popular sports teams in the world and as long as the former champ is not completely off the pace, Ferrari have a reason to hold on to him whether it be for team harmony or out right loyalty....which is something that many fans (tifosi) can and do appreciate a lot more then what the 'insiders' give us credit for.

personally, i like the loyalty Ferrari typically shows its drivers and as such i respect their choice. i am for sure an 'armchair expert' but i do know sports and a team that respects it's athletes like this is the difference between a club that people want to support and one that no one cares about.

anyways, the off topic part is that one of the problems, imo, that F1 has is connecting with the fans and that in part stems from the 'paddock experts' thinking their points of views matter more then the fan base's opinions do. the divide between what the insiders think is the right way forward is generally the complete opposite of what the fans want to see happen.

anyways paddock insiders have their mediums (promoted social media feeds, blogs, articles, gossip pages) to express their opinions and fans like us have settings like this forum...so with all due respect leave us our illusions and our spaces to discuss these things as we see fit!
Old 25 Aug 2017, 23:31 (Ref:3761609)   #380
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Apparently, Williams have made an offer to Alonso for a 2018 drive.

Interesting move if true. Lowe and Alonso would make a great combination.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 23:33 (Ref:3761610)   #381
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Interesting move if true.
What sort of offer? Please can you come and sort out our strategy? 😁
Old 26 Aug 2017, 07:24 (Ref:3761671)   #382
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hmm, that would be cosmic to see Fred in a Williams, especially with Stroll alongside. Should be exciting
Old 26 Aug 2017, 08:00 (Ref:3761674)   #383
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Interesting move if true. Lowe and Alonso would make a great combination.
Story Here

If Mr Stroll Sr is paying, would Williams refuse?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Aug 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3761676)   #384
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Nothing much on the net regarding my post above from yesterday regarding the Alonso/Williams rumour, but I did come across this from French publication F1i.

http://en.f1i.com/news/277539-alonso...-not-fast.html

Alonso said in June that he would not "gamble" on his 2018 seat. So isn't going to Williams not a gamble then??

Sure, the 2018 Williams will be a car with Paddy Lowe's input, and Alonso does like Lowe (one of the major reasons he signed with McLaren in 2007), and it also has a Mercedes engine at the back of it, but it's still a gamble isn't it?

A few more notes taken in the last few hours suggest Martini and Santander are keen for this to happen. Stroll Snr is also keen to make this happen. It would be a big pay cut for Alonso, but I don't know if that matters at this point. He just wants to race a competitive car and be up front fighting for podiums. Can the 2018 Williams deliver??

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

If Mr Stroll Sr is paying, would Williams refuse?
Thanks GTR. Didn't come across that article in my search. But WTF1.com is not a site I would take too seriously anyway.

Last edited by F1Guy; 26 Aug 2017 at 08:24.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3761681)   #385
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Here we go. This just popped up on Motorsport.com a few minutes ago.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...-massa-944977/
Old 26 Aug 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3761682)   #386
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Great news indeed. A new contract. His home GP. A new spec Honda engine. Fantastic news for SV.

Except for the fact he'll be starting from the very back of the grid. Again!
65, yes, 65 place grid penalty for Vandoorne! At this rate, he'll be starting from pole position from the last race at the Hungarian GP!
Old 26 Aug 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3761688)   #387
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Vettel is happy that Raikkonen is his team mate next year.

http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/exten...astian-vettel/
Old 26 Aug 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3761697)   #388
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vettel has signed a three year deal with the Scuderia, BBC is reporting.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3761699)   #389
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nothing much on the net regarding my post above from yesterday regarding the Alonso/Williams rumour, but I did come across this from French publication F1i.

http://en.f1i.com/news/277539-alonso...-not-fast.html

Alonso said in June that he would not "gamble" on his 2018 seat. So isn't going to Williams not a gamble then??

Sure, the 2018 Williams will be a car with Paddy Lowe's input, and Alonso does like Lowe (one of the major reasons he signed with McLaren in 2007), and it also has a Mercedes engine at the back of it, but it's still a gamble isn't it?

A few more notes taken in the last few hours suggest Martini and Santander are keen for this to happen. Stroll Snr is also keen to make this happen. It would be a big pay cut for Alonso, but I don't know if that matters at this point. He just wants to race a competitive car and be up front fighting for podiums. Can the 2018 Williams deliver??

edit:

Thanks GTR. Didn't come across that article in my search. But WTF1.com is not a site I would take too seriously anyway.
Having just watched Q1 from Spa, I can't see the Williams performance there convincing Alonso to jump ship!
Old 26 Aug 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3761700)   #390
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
end of Q2, Honda's performance isnt giving him much reason to stay either.

stuck between a rock and a slow pace.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3761707)   #391
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Seeing what's happened (again) to Palmer should put the team off Renault engines too!
Old 26 Aug 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3761712)   #392
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
65, yes, 65 place grid penalty for Vandoorne! At this rate, he'll be starting from pole position from the last race at the Hungarian GP!
Or from somewhere in Luxembourg.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3761719)   #393
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
So..If Fred goes to Williams, Massa will be gone at last.
This year has gone downhill for them. Perhaps it needs Paddy Lowe and Alonso to "spark the fire" again.
Watching Alonso's walk through the pit garage during quali today, it wouldn't surprise me if he jumps ship at last.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 19:52 (Ref:3761754)   #394
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He'll be starting at the back of the grid for the Austrian GP this weekend with a 65 plaace grid drop
Old 26 Aug 2017, 22:53 (Ref:3761785)   #395
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
So..If Fred goes to Williams, Massa will be gone at last.
This year has gone downhill for them. Perhaps it needs Paddy Lowe and Alonso to "spark the fire" again.
Watching Alonso's walk through the pit garage during quali today, it wouldn't surprise me if he jumps ship at last.
Not sure Lowe is the man to take them forward performance wise. I think he's happy enough being part of da senior management. They need a James Key or Prodromou (who has done a tremendous Mclaren chassis)
Old 27 Aug 2017, 00:19 (Ref:3761800)   #396
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Fernando Alonso: "I received several offers. To 60 percent of those offers I say no right away, the other 40 percent are still on the table. I will wait as long as possible."

Paddy Lowe: "You need great drivers and great cars to win races and there’s a bit of a chicken and egg thing. The better the car you have, the better the drivers you can attract. With a great driver in the team everybody is motivated to work that bit harder.

"There are lots of great drivers out there and we’ll always try and get the best ones we can."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mo...-idUKKCN1B60KS
Old 27 Aug 2017, 00:21 (Ref:3761801)   #397
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Toro Rosso and Honda partnership not quite over yet. Discussions ongoing, apparently.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 01:45 (Ref:3761812)   #398
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Toro Rosso and Honda partnership not quite over yet. Discussions ongoing, apparently.
And your evidence or source of this for this is?
Old 27 Aug 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3761840)   #399
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
And your evidence or source of this for this is?
He's doing you a favour and telling you what is happening in Belgium. Red Bull want more $.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3761886)   #400
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just think that the fact that the Ferrari team is pulling everything in place for Vettel is a great more reason for the German to sign the contract