Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 29 Mar 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3521494)   #26
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
You got me by a few years but my dad took me down a similar path.
1966 - Peachbowl - my hero was T.C. Hunt
!968-!970 - Lakewood
!972- Road Atl. and seeing my avatar and sportscars
race for the first time.
!976- I could drive myself to Dixie and Road Atl and the
rest is history. Probably got in 5-10 races a year ever since.

The only thing constant is change, and as the song goes,
you gotta roll with the changes. Its a choice.

K&N in Greenville is tempting but I need to save that budget for
IRL weekend at Barber which will also be my first Pirelli race.
I well remember the Peachbowl Saw allot of races there.

Lakewood Speedway, Saw what was then, the Busch Series run there, many years after the (then called) Grand National Division left Lakewood for Atlanta International Raceway. Consider myself extreamly fortunate that I was able to see that last Grand National Division race there, in 1959. I use to like the old AMA flat track motorcycle races there as well, I have a good friend, that raced for the factory Harley-Davidson Team back then. Those races were allot of fun. Those were the days. Glad you were able to see both Peachbowl and Lakewood. A WHOLE LOT of NASCAR history at both tracks!

Road Atlanta, have been to two races there, both back in the early 70s. Saw a CanAm race there, was curious, the track had just opened, I believe the year before. I think it was their 2nd CanAm race. Honestly, was just not impressed with the type of racing. As I remember, there were two identical orange cars that ran off and left the rest of the field like they had anchors tied to them. Just didn't do anything for me. The other race was the NASCAR race for the old Grand American Series, that raced Mustangs, Camaros, etc. The late Tiny Lund won that one. Loved that old series, but just could not get into watching them run on a road-course. It just wasn't/isn't my "cup of tea" I'm an oval track guy/fan. I understand that they ran a couple of Busch Series races there, back in the 80s, but I did not see them, as I was in the Marine Corps at the time and not in or near Georgia. I probably would have gone, just because I liked the Busch Series, but then again, I might not have. I believe I read that Darrell Waltrip won one of those races.

I wish Greenville was a viable option for me, but it is just a little too far to travel and a bit out of budget for a single night of racing. Were it a full weekend, it might make a difference, but just not feasible under the circumstances. That was the really good thing back in the day. NASCAR ran numerous short tracks, along with the big superspeedways. The tickets were inexpensive, as was gasoline and many of the tracks were within reach, both finically and drive distance. It was not uncommon for us to go to 20 or more races a year back then. Try that now and it would rapidly lead to bankruptcy! Attending races has just gotten WAY TOO expensive, ticket prices, as well as everything else, food, lodging, etc.

Barber Motorsports Park. I have been to motorcycle races there and to their museum. Allot of cool bikes in that museum. Haven't been there in probably 5 to 7 years though. Might have to go see the bike races there again, one day. Sorry, can't at all get into irl. WAY TOO MUCH bad blood with fans of that series/form of racing, (dating WAY BACK to the late 50s/early 60s) besides the fact that I have not ever and do not like, at all, that form of racing or that racing series. But that's me and between them and me. Hope that you have a good time and enjoy yourself that weekend.

Yes, my friend, change is the only thing that is constant. Often times change is good, but many times, it is not, but it is constant. Rolling with the change sometime, is far easier said than done. Sometime, trying to roll with the change leads one to rolling into a dead end or a brick wall and for me, I'm afraid that, that is the case, these changes are leading me down a dead end street, directly into a brick wall.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 11:20 (Ref:3522184)   #27
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think those 2 orange CanAms may have been
the ones in this link. They did finish 1-2.
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...971-07-11.html

My interest in motorsports covers just about everything.
Its quite time consuming. But my roots will always be
nicely painted 57 Chevys racing in a bull ring
with the smell of leaded fuel exhaust and burning rubber.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3522407)   #28
toledo47
Rookie

toledo47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
I wish Greenville was a viable option for me, but it is just a little too far to travel and a bit out of budget for a single night of racing. Were it a full weekend, it might make a difference, but just not feasible under the circumstances. That was the really good thing back in the day. NASCAR ran numerous short tracks, along with the big superspeedways. The tickets were inexpensive, as was gasoline and many of the tracks were within reach, both finically and drive distance. It was not uncommon for us to go to 20 or more races a year back then. Try that now and it would rapidly lead to bankruptcy! Attending races has just gotten WAY TOO expensive, ticket prices, as well as everything else, food, lodging, etc.
Not saying its in your budget (since i have no idea about your budget). But IMO, Greenville is a pretty budget friendly race to do from that part of Georgia. I think tickets for that race are usually about $25 each. Gas is the cheapest that it has been in years, and I think the track is only about 2 hours from that part of GA. Personally, I wouldn't even get a room for a race that close, the race will probably start at 7pm or 8pm and be finished within 90minutes , or if its really cautiony maybe 2 hours (But i don't think i have even seen a Greenville race that lasted more than 90min). But if you would want a room, there are usually some pretty decent rates in Greenville (i think the Red Roof Inn is about $50). I think there are also some rooms in Easley (where the track is), not sure how much the rooms tend to be there.
The race is this weekend (April 4). I'd say go for it, but i don't know the situation that you are in. I highly recommend it though, its always a really fun event at a great historic track.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 20:58 (Ref:3522454)   #29
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
I think those 2 orange CanAms may have been
the ones in this link. They did finish 1-2.
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...971-07-11.html

My interest in motorsports covers just about everything.
Its quite time consuming. But my roots will always be
nicely painted 57 Chevys racing in a bull ring
with the smell of leaded fuel exhaust and burning rubber.
I think you are right about the two cars. As best as I can remember, they look like the two I was thinking of. Link didn't open very well, but I could see enough of the photo that appears to be reasonably sure that those two were the ones.

Loved the bullrings and the smell of leaded fuel/rubber. The ethanol that the Cup cars run, these days smells like burned out kitchen matches to me.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 21:04 (Ref:3522462)   #30
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo47 View Post
Not saying its in your budget (since i have no idea about your budget). But IMO, Greenville is a pretty budget friendly race to do from that part of Georgia. I think tickets for that race are usually about $25 each. Gas is the cheapest that it has been in years, and I think the track is only about 2 hours from that part of GA. Personally, I wouldn't even get a room for a race that close, the race will probably start at 7pm or 8pm and be finished within 90minutes , or if its really cautiony maybe 2 hours (But i don't think i have even seen a Greenville race that lasted more than 90min). But if you would want a room, there are usually some pretty decent rates in Greenville (i think the Red Roof Inn is about $50). I think there are also some rooms in Easley (where the track is), not sure how much the rooms tend to be there.
The race is this weekend (April 4). I'd say go for it, but i don't know the situation that you are in. I highly recommend it though, its always a really fun event at a great historic track.
I'm not on a fixed budget, but my budget is close to a fixed one. Yes, gas in cheap, but two hour drive's worth is a bit steep. There was an old country song that had a line that sums up my situation. "Too much month at the end of the money." Bills take priority over racing.

Yes, Greenville-Pickens is a great track, with allot of history. I saw the old NASCAR Grand National Division race there, back in the 60s. Track probably hasn't changed allot since those days. Great little track, as I remember.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 21:47 (Ref:3522481)   #31
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
canamman, I'm glad that your interests cover the range of motorsports and yes, I would imaging it does consume allot of your time, not to mention that many times you will have to make a choice between watching (on television) and maybe on attending different races. I wouldn't want to have to make that choice.

I guess I'm wired differently. There really isn't anything else in the motorsports world that interests me, other than stock cars. I will watch an occasional drag race, if it is on the TV, but outside of that, nothing really interests me. I guess chalk that up to everybody being different, everyone not liking or liking the same things. It's funny, even though I do not like road-racing, I had developed an interest in the V8 Supercar Series, but with the demise of SPEED Channel, those races are no longer being shown here and of course, that series won't be coming back to the track in Texas either, of that pretty much nips that series in the bud, for me. I guess the upside to being a fan of only one kind of racing is that, unlike you, the multi-series/form of racing fan, I don't have to make choices, if there is another race being shown while the Sprint Cup races are being shown. Think that is a pretty equitable trade-off.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3524018)   #32
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
HAPPY EASTER everyone. Have a Great Day!
Old 7 Apr 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3524617)   #33
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4/4/15 K&N Greenville race at 6:30 p.m. tonite on NBCSN
Old 8 Apr 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3524981)   #34
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Good race. These kids in both the East and West Series are impressive. The future is strong for NASCAR, with the talent that is coming up through these series. Watched the West race, last week too, good race. For some reason I didn't associate the Binford (spelling?) kid as being Jeff Gordon's nephew (or was it cousin, I can't remember which) but he is going to be good!
Old 8 Apr 2015, 11:22 (Ref:3525013)   #35
canamman
Veteran

United States
That was at tough track to pass on.
Plenty of young talent up and coming.

I wish Lanier would announce something!
Old 8 Apr 2015, 22:44 (Ref:3525213)   #36
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
That was at tough track to pass on.
Plenty of young talent up and coming.

I wish Lanier would announce something!
Yes, great track to learn how to work traffic/pass and develop skills!

I hope I'm wrong, but afraid I'm not, Lanier will not ever open as a stock car track again.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 01:57 (Ref:3525252)   #37
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Just in case some here do not know, here is a site that has info/coverage on the K&N East/West, as well as the Canadian, Mexico and European Series. NASCAR Home Tracks. Good page.

http://hometracks.nascar.com/
Old 10 Apr 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3525598)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just finished watching my recording of the Greenville - Pickens race. Man! That track hasn't changed in a decade or 4.

Good stuff. A big chunk of what the big 3 series are missing is tracks like GPS.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 01:59 (Ref:3525603)   #39
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Just finished watching my recording of the Greenville - Pickens race. Man! That track hasn't changed in a decade or 4.

Good stuff. A big chunk of what the big 3 series are missing is tracks like GPS.
Yep, that is a fact!
Old 19 Apr 2015, 17:01 (Ref:3528929)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saw the modifieds at Thompson for the Icebreaker 150. Good stuff. Then watched the K&N west at Irwindale, which is apparently going to be an oultet mall soon. Each track/series had their uniqueness and I love watching the 3 wide at Irwindale, but modifieds at Thompson was fantastic.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:54 (Ref:3529536)   #41
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Saw the modifieds at Thompson for the Icebreaker 150. Good stuff. Then watched the K&N west at Irwindale, which is apparently going to be an oultet mall soon. Each track/series had their uniqueness and I love watching the 3 wide at Irwindale, but modifieds at Thompson was fantastic.
I watched both too. I tend to like the full bodied cars better. A sad shame that Irwindale will be closed and turned into a shopping mall!
Old 8 May 2015, 01:12 (Ref:3535331)   #42
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Watched the K&N west race at Tuscon last night. That place reminded me a lot of Lanier. Saw some 4 wide racing at one point but was some great action all race long.

There was 1 driver entered who raced the last time the K&N series was at Tucson in 2001. The commentators were saying that most of the other participants were probably less than 5 years old when they last race there.
Old 8 May 2015, 22:16 (Ref:3535665)   #43
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Watched the K&N west race at Tuscon last night. That place reminded me a lot of Lanier. Saw some 4 wide racing at one point but was some great action all race long.

There was 1 driver entered who raced the last time the K&N series was at Tucson in 2001. The commentators were saying that most of the other participants were probably less than 5 years old when they last race there.
Yes, watched the race, a good one. I remember the old "NASCAR Winter Heat" Series that ran there it the mid-90s. Wish they still did that series in the wintertime. Yes, allot like Lanier! R.I.P. Old Friend, Lanier National Speedway. Never to turn a lap of competition again.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 03:55 (Ref:3565731)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Just watched the race from Iowa. What a great track! And a good race honoring Kenny Wallace.

Brandon Mcreynolds just about dominated. That Rico Abreu is a hard charger.

Jesse Little's crews' spotlight was pretty neat. It's the Toyota Technical College group. Bunch of Japanese students crewing a stockcar program and a second place "overall" but first in the East. Good job, fellas.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 13:48 (Ref:3565799)   #45
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nascar on NBCSN viewers, courtesy of sportstvratings.com:

July 16 – K&N West at Stateline - 74k
July 23 – Modifieds and K&N East at New Hampshire - 119k
July 30 – Modifieds at Monadnock - 61k
Aug 6 – K&N East/West at Iowa - 48k
Aug 7 – Southern Modifieds at Bowman-Gray - 153k
Old 15 Aug 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3566119)   #46
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia