Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jan 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3705477)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dressing gown? Whimps.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3705479)   #302
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
First one was better.

Moving on, with everything outside white and frosty again this morning, it amused me to hear a weather forecaster announcing that we would be 'scraping the ice from our windscreens' again. Not around here, we won't! The technique is to come out of the house in dressing gown and slippers, start the car, switch all the heating and demist stuff, on, then go back in for brekkie, ablutions or whatever. 30 minutes later, when time to go, car is warm and ice has gone...........

Apart from fact that I thought it was illegal to leave an engine running (when not in command of a car) in a public place, how much fuel does it use, and what about pollution???? Glad I don't make or sell de-icer for a living- I'd be broke!
You're lucky the car is still there when you back to it! A know of a very nice Lotus Elise Cup R that went missing overnight not so far from you a couple of weeks ago. It's a Belgian-owned race car that had just been prepared for the season. Last seen somewhere near Mildenhall.

It was of course reported to the Police but by the time they put out an appeal for it they had managed to convert it to a Lotus Seven S4. Work that one out!
Old 27 Jan 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3705510)   #303
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You're lucky the car is still there when you back to it! A know of a very nice Lotus Elise Cup R that went missing overnight not so far from you a couple of weeks ago. It's a Belgian-owned race car that had just been prepared for the season. Last seen somewhere near Mildenhall.

It was of course reported to the Police but by the time they put out an appeal for it they had managed to convert it to a Lotus Seven S4. Work that one out!
Stolen from the street or locked away? I can only assume that the owners allowing their cars to warm up parked on the street lock them with a spare key or whatever. If not they would have trouble explaining it to their insurance and police if it got nicked! This morn was no different, one house had the 3 series estate and fiesta both sitting outside with engines running......

As for the police not known the difference between an Elise and Seven- don't they have google?
Old 27 Jan 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3705513)   #304
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'The technique is to come out of the house, start the car, 30 minutes later, when time to go, car has gone...........'

I think the edit is the likely outcome
Old 27 Jan 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3705514)   #305
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Stolen from the street or locked away? I can only assume that the owners allowing their cars to warm up parked on the street lock them with a spare key or whatever. If not they would have trouble explaining it to their insurance and police if it got nicked! This morn was no different, one house had the 3 series estate and fiesta both sitting outside with engines running......

As for the police not known the difference between an Elise and Seven- don't they have google?
It was on a trailer in a hotel car park - the owner had just collected it & was returning home to Belgium the following day. It was not road-registered.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3705565)   #306
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It was on a trailer in a hotel car park - the owner had just collected it & was returning home to Belgium the following day. It was not road-registered.
That is sad. And a lot of the time it is the trailer thieves are interested in.....

A tracker is not crazy expensive, and self powered ones are available. Not so easy to hide on an open trailer, but simple on a shuttle / race box. Money well spent IMHO!
Old 27 Jan 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3705640)   #307
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I went to collect a customers car earlier in the week and went in to get the "key" or whatever you call it now, he started the car on the drive from the house with his phone and said "It'll be warm and defrosted in a minute ! bit different to the 20 year old Polo that I dumped outside !!!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Jan 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3705650)   #308
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
You got to change the plugs ,points and oil filter then Gordon
Old 27 Jan 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3705651)   #309
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Here is a question for all you clever blokes . So tomorrow I shall start to fit the corners on my Lotus22. So what you say . The fronts are Triumph Herald . So what again you say . My question,one upright is right hand thread for lower trunion the other has a left hand thread . Why o why did they bother doing this .Ive asked all the experts this week and most come back saying f--k knows . We did think that as the suspension turned it would rise up the thread one side and down the other .but so small it would not make any difference to handling of the car .
Old 27 Jan 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3705652)   #310
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
You got to change the plugs ,points and oil filter then Gordon
I had to update the software on my laptop to work on it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Jan 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3705655)   #311
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Here is a question for all you clever blokes . So tomorrow I shall start to fit the corners on my Lotus22. So what you say . The fronts are Triumph Herald . So what again you say . My question,one upright is right hand thread for lower trunion the other has a left hand thread . Why o why did they bother doing this .Ive asked all the experts this week and most come back saying f--k knows . We did think that as the suspension turned it would rise up the thread one side and down the other .but so small it would not make any difference to handling of the car .
That is the only thing that I always thought was the reason, it might make a difference on a modern F1 car though
and the Herald with it's rear swing axle wasn't exactly "state of the art" in handling
Old 28 Jan 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3705724)   #312
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Trunnions- Are the Austin / Morris Minor / Marina ones same thread or handed? I really can't remember.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 28 Jan 2017 at 07:11. Reason: Sp- 2 'n's in trunnions....
Old 28 Jan 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3705730)   #313
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I went to collect a customers car earlier in the week and went in to get the "key" or whatever you call it now, he started the car on the drive from the house with his phone and said "It'll be warm and defrosted in a minute!
Next thing is he / she will start the car with their A Watch! I looked at them in the local (name a fruit) store the other day- £400 cheapy, £1200 posh one...... And how long before obsolete? Not good vfm if you just want to be able to see the time! Apart from anything else I needed specs to read the display.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3705734)   #314
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Next thing is he / she will start the car with their A Watch! I looked at them in the local (name a fruit) store the other day- £400 cheapy, £1200 posh one...... And how long before obsolete? Not good vfm if you just want to be able to see the time! Apart from anything else I needed specs to read the display.

Lemon??
Old 28 Jan 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3705749)   #315
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard a while back about someone Mclaren wouldnt start one morning.Guy went back indoors to be greeted by a telephone call.It was a techie from the factory.-Not to worry sir but its just come through telling us the reason why.Give me five minutes and Ill get back to you.Five mins later phone rings.Cars running but not quite up to temp just yet.Finish your coffee and it'll be ready to go.Big brother watching?What else can be spied on.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3705768)   #316
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
What else can be spied on.
Pretty much anything Terence.

Ten years ago or a little more, back in the days when Speed Cameras were thought to be something that could be battled against, people were also concerned about the other cameras that a couple of organisations had set up on bridges over main roads that helped to measure traffic flows.

Some just measured passing vehicle types and their speed at that point. Others read number plates and matched them as they passed various other cameras around the country and so could calculated average speeds between two point some distance apart.

Then came ANPR and after a bit of complaining it was clear that it was going to happen anyway so people gave up on worrying although in theory its use was very restricted in the early days and "not retained in any database if the checks run at the roadside by the police are not flagged up at the time."

Yes. Of course they are canned.

But not by the Parking Companies of course. Or "Congestion" Tax monitoring.

And last week I read the report of a court case about, iirc, an abduction and murder in the West country where the miscreants then drove up to the Northwest - or something like that - and some time after that journey the police were able to follow the accused's movements by looking back through the camera records.

As I recall mobile phone companies are required to keep records for an extended period of time. In towns and cities it has been possible for some years generate a very accurate trace of a phone's location by triangulating its position in relation to various masts that can "see" it.

It's even easier now since we send such information to all and sundry complete with GPS data via the apps on a smartphone.

We love this stuff and over the last decade have willingly started to tell anyone who wants to know all about out lives. So having a remote car butler seems like a small thing really. Should be good for an insurance discount I would think.

It probably takes quite a lot of thought, effort and planning to not be tracked these days - unless you are virtually "unregistered" as a person.

This is why the banks want to shut down retail banking and make cash obsolete and are encouraging the EU, et al, to support that change ASAP.

HSBC ramped up the speed of branch closures this week. They will likely be gone from the Retail banking world very soon in terms of a physical presence.

Recently they introduced security for on line banking using voice recognition rather than a password or thumb print or whatever.

Apparently it works very well and the feedback is that the punters love it.

Thus as the demography of "oldies" using their local bank branch changes and the fear of a computer is no longer a bar to having simple interactive secure on-line banking experiences, the need for a physical branch diminishes ... and the ability to know everything about everyone increases dramatically.

People love it. They even buy devices to spy on themselves. "Alexa" speakers for example. In-car (or on-bike) cameras. "Evidence" posted on YouTube. Who needs a police presence on the roads when people self report their indiscretions and vehicles can be configured to report their own problems?

We live in interesting times.

Do we feel safer for all of this monitoring?
Old 28 Jan 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3705772)   #317
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Heard a while back about someone Mclaren wouldnt start one morning.Guy went back indoors to be greeted by a telephone call.It was a techie from the factory.-Not to worry sir but its just come through telling us the reason why.Give me five minutes and Ill get back to you.Five mins later phone rings.Cars running but not quite up to temp just yet.Finish your coffee and it'll be ready to go.Big brother watching?What else can be spied on.
Hopefully, not Viva's Y-fronts.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3705787)   #318
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Hopefully, not Viva's Y-fronts.
I am relieved to inform you that this is most certainly not the case. When they've had their annual wash over the past 43 years we've always used a strong detergent that would certainly see off any in-built telemetry or cameras. (Along with anything else that may still be lurking in there...)
Old 28 Jan 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3705789)   #319
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Do we feel safer for all of this monitoring?
Surely it's only those who have something to hide that should fear increased surveillance?
Old 28 Jan 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3705798)   #320
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Surely it's only those who have something to hide that should fear increased surveillance?
Are you trying to scare me Mike?
Old 28 Jan 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3705804)   #321
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Are you trying to scare me Mike?
Bob, your unhealthy interest in Viva's Y-fronts suggest you might be worthy of surveillance!
Old 28 Jan 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3705836)   #322
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That's the attitude that "they" rely on. You think you have nothing to fear because you're doing nothing wrong, then there's a TV in your room looking both ways and you have nothing to fear because you've done nothing wrong. Then you have to be in front of the TV at certain times but you have nothing to fear because you've done nothing wrong.

Salami tactics

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Jan 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3705859)   #323
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's the attitude that "they" rely on. You think you have nothing to fear because you're doing nothing wrong, then there's a TV in your room looking both ways and you have nothing to fear because you've done nothing wrong. Then you have to be in front of the TV at certain times but you have nothing to fear because you've done nothing wrong.

Salami tactics
Strewth Max, that's all a bit heavy for a Saturday eve!

Gotta go, Daytona 24 should be starting soon......
Old 28 Jan 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3705919)   #324
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes I'm watching it now.

Old 28 Jan 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3705966)   #325
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yes I'm watching it now.

But is it watching you?
Closed Thread