Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Mar 2016, 15:03 (Ref:3627797)   #1
Richy200
Rookie

Richy200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race series suggestions

Afternoon.

I'm looking for some suggestions as to a series to enter. I'm thinking one make series like civic cup/bmw compact. I'd love to do the Michelin Clio cup as I have a mk3 Clio cup car however the costs will just be too high for me

Thanks
Old 27 Mar 2016, 19:31 (Ref:3627868)   #2
SlatorRacing
Rookie

SlatorRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That depends on whether you want to race your car or not?

If you're starting out I'd look at a series which already has support available (unless you're uber handy) as there's quite a lot going on for a newbie.

Why one-make? There are loads of other series out there, longer races tend to be cheaper £ per minute and allow you to share your drive with someone else.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3627886)   #3
Richy200
Rookie

Richy200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking to run myself ideally as I'm a student on a budget.

I like the sound of one make racing as everyone runs the same machinery and makes it more down to the driver rather than who can afford the best parts/cars.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 21:29 (Ref:3628199)   #4
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, even in one-make series, some are more equal than others! Theoretically, you'd think everyone must have the same machinery if they're all built to to the same spec, but in the real world, that's not always the case.

Those with the bigger budgets will always find a way to gain an edge - even if it's only as simple as having the time/money to go testing extensively, paying for a professional set-up on the car and having new tyres/brakes for every meeting.

You, on a student's budget, are unlikely to be able to have those things, probably won't be able to afford to go testing, or have a professional team set up your car for you, and will most likely have to use your tyres until they're down to the canvass!

I'm not trying to put you off the one-make route - but just have your eyes open if you go that route, and accept that you're unlikely to steam in and be on the pace against the experienced guys with big budgets.

As has already been said, if you're not stuck on the one-make idea, there's a whole world of club series out there, and many of them offer much better value than some of the one-make events. Just take a look on the websites of clubs such as CSCC, 750 MC, BARC, BRSCC, CTCRC, etc. I'm sure you'll find something you fancy amongst them!
Old 29 Mar 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3628338)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Also where are you based? If you're on a budget then travel costs can be a major factor - if there's a local series that may be a better option than a national series.