Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 14 Jan 2003, 15:23 (Ref:473973)   #1
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American Winter Series

with the races in a few weeks i saw on firstairs site that they have departed for the usa already.

whos confirmed for the races?

Firstair - Rob Bell, James Murphy
MOtorworld - Alex Lloyd, Rob Scott
Fortec - Michael Conway, ?:confused:
Status - Philip Kershaw, Aurelio Lopez Martinez
Attached Images

Old 19 Jan 2003, 02:14 (Ref:478677)   #2
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's your lot

Don't discount the locals. I'm told the tracks there are very bumpy, nothing like we get in the UK, and need different car setups. Local knowledge in extreme conditions is always a handy thing to have.

And the alligators in the gravel traps are b@stards
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 02:15 (Ref:478679)   #3
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
P.S. Why the dodgy smiley by Conway???
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 09:09 (Ref:478788)   #4
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US tracks are beyond bumpy. Bring aspirin. The final turn at Sebring will lift the wheels on an Audi R8

Its a wonder we have monoshock FRS and Atlantic cars over here. As torn up as our tracks are, and as high as the kerbs get, you really need a 3 damper system front and rear

Last edited by Russfeld; 19 Jan 2003 at 09:12.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 12:30 (Ref:478937)   #5
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jinxx
P.S. Why the dodgy smiley by Conway???
I think that's because racingdick was wondering whether Fortec are taking any other drivers to the US.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 18:13 (Ref:479187)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
US tracks are beyond bumpy. Bring aspirin. The final turn at Sebring will lift the wheels on an Audi R8
If you think Sebring is bad, you should see the tracks in Canada! (or maybe you were implying that...) The cold, ice and snow destroys the tarmac in the winter (highways too), and they pretty much have to be resurfaced (or at least majorly repaired) every Spring. For example, I'm pretty sure the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is completely resurfaced every year. It's considered a very smooth track by the Cart guys, but bumpy by the F1 people.

Think any of the guys that are over here for the winter series might try the regular fran-am series? Nothing against the guys in it last year, but it could use a talent boost...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Jan 2003, 23:52 (Ref:479531)   #7
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Aspirin ordered- thanks Russfeld!!

What should we call alligator repellant? I hate the names like "NoFlize" ... Viv Stanshall (GRHS) from the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band hated those ad names so much that he made up his own when he went on Safari to Kenya. He marketed "Repellephant" and "Rhin-NO!" What do you spray on you to say NO to alligators then??
Old 20 Jan 2003, 03:21 (Ref:479648)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Nah, you want to try to alligator. And yes it tastes like chicken because its a white meat animal.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 13:59 (Ref:483488)   #9
racingdick
Veteran

Entry List For Series
TEAMS
CONDOR MOTORSPORTS
DYNAMIC MOTORSPORT
FORTEC MOTORSPORT
GELLES RACING
GTI FORMULA MOTORSPORTS
JD AUTOTECNICA
LIGHTSPEED MOTORSPORTS
MOTAWORLD RACING
MR GLOW MOTORSPORT
MURRAY RACING
PHILLIPS MOTORSPORTS
POWERSLIDE MOTORSPORTS
PROGETTO ITALIA
QUANTUM MOTORSPORTS
R/A RACING SA DE CX
RICHARD MORGAN RACING
STATUS MOTORSPORT - FORTEC
TEAM ECUADOR
TEAM EURO INTERNATIONAL
TEAM FIRSTAIR

DRIVER SUMMARY
PROVISIONAL ENTRY LIST
CAN ARTAM
TIM BARBER
MICHELE BARTYAN
ROBERT BELL
ANTONIE BESSETTE
DOMINIC CICERO
MIKE CONWAY
HOMERO DE RIO
CHRIS FESTA
MATT GREEN
CHARLES HALL
RICARDO IMERY
PHILIP KERSHAW
DANIEL KRAUS
PATRICIO LARREA JR
PEDRO LARRIERA
ALEX LLOYD
AURELIO LOPEZ JR
LORENZO MANDARINO
DAVID MARTINEZ LEON
DAN MCMULLEN
PAULO JOSE MEYER
GIORGIO MONDINI
JAMES MURPHY
TOM NASTASIE
MICHAEL PARRILLO
RICARDO PEREZ DELARA
DOUGLAS PETERSON
KYLE PIEPENBROK
JUAN MARTIN PONTE
JOE PRUSKOWSKI
JUSTIN PRUSKOWSKI
GIACOMO RICCI
ROBERT SCOTT
JEFF SIMMONS
TON JUNIOR STROUS
Old 23 Jan 2003, 14:06 (Ref:483501)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

Jeff Simons to win it. Two time Barber Dodge Pro Series champ in two seasons and ex Indylights.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 14:20 (Ref:483518)   #11
racingdick
Veteran

but whats he like in formula renaults!!!!?????
Old 23 Jan 2003, 14:28 (Ref:483529)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

dunno this will be his first time in the series, but his experience and wins and championships are all in cars as good as or better than FRS.

1998 Barber Dodge Pro champ and rookie of the year
1999 Barber dodge pro champ
1999 FPA winter series Team USA
2000 Indylights
2001 nothing
2002 nothing
Old 23 Jan 2003, 20:57 (Ref:483835)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no disrespect, but i think our boys should make light work of that lot. gonna stick my neck out and say mike conway to win it.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 21:06 (Ref:483843)   #14
Russfeld
Veteran

none of them has the experience of Simmons and I wouldnt put any in that list in the level of ability of Simmons either.

Though if Conway wins anything in the US it will only show how weak our new FRS series is
Old 23 Jan 2003, 21:30 (Ref:483869)   #15
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't under estimate the ability of Rob Bell and Alex Lloyd, both are more than capable of winning this series. Bell particuarly has the experience to lead a new team and adapt to racing in a different enviroment.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 22:24 (Ref:483921)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on experience it should be Simmons - was'nt he like a Team Kool Green scholarship winner back in the mid 90s?? I thought he won Formula Ford2000/Continetal whatever ist called years ago?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 23:01 (Ref:483979)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
experience means nothing - look at what jamie green did once he got, er, experience... ok. scrap that.

this'll be an interesting direct comparison. when was the last crossover of this type that happened, where the two sides of the pond met? (sounds like a film trailer, sorry)
Old 24 Jan 2003, 10:31 (Ref:484325)   #18
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and the results, when, were?
Old 24 Jan 2003, 11:06 (Ref:484339)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

http://www.fran-am.com
Old 24 Jan 2003, 12:08 (Ref:484392)   #20
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks!
Old 24 Jan 2003, 21:16 (Ref:484953)   #21
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Can't find much latest information on the fran-am.com website, particularly who is doing what. Latest news I heard was that at the end of Friday, two unknown Italians were quickest (it apparently surprised no-one that when it was announced there would be Parc Ferme and scrutineering after qualifying, they started to dismantle their cars) followed by Robert Bell, Robert Scott and Alex Lloyd (who missed the first session when his suspension broke) and got only one (cr@p) flying lap on new tyres.

Temperature yesterday was 27C cloudless blue sky. Today was still cloudless blue sky, temp was -1C

Qualifying tomorrow 10:30 Florida time

Pole expected to be approx 2:04.6
Old 24 Jan 2003, 23:38 (Ref:485093)   #22
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Drivers.....

http://www.fran-am.com/fn/winter2003/drivers.asp

Times so far (I was wrong earlier - Bell was 2nd not 3rd)...

http://www.fran-am.com/fn/winter2003/default.asp
Old 25 Jan 2003, 09:16 (Ref:485350)   #23
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the most impressive performance so far is Lorenzo Mandarino in the #15 car. The kid is 16 years old and from what i can make out, this will be his first car race. He was fourth in session 2 - showing a lot more experienced driver the way.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 10:27 (Ref:485383)   #24
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Yep, that's a good showing from Mandarino, the young Canadian. He looks like he could be a threat. I know testing doesn't necessarily mean anything, but qualifying (should know results about 4pm UK time) will be interesting. Bell did the smart thing yesterday apparently and used 2 sets of new tyres to find out exactly when they come in, where the best lap comes, etc. Have to say, my money would be on him. Behind him, Robert Scott is driving well, I'm told; Alex Lloyd has just about caught up on missed time and seems upbeat about his chances, Conway is just behind as are the other UK drivers, all pretty close. Top 3 in the championship win a drive/test in the new Renault V6
Old 25 Jan 2003, 10:32 (Ref:485388)   #25
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Full list of times at:

http://www.fran-am.com/fn/winter2003/timesp2.asp#

I'm told, by the way, that the 26 year old Simmons has not clicked on this track the way you might have expected him to.

I wonder if there is any difference between the cars? The UK drivers are right at the pointy end of the field ... does this just mean the UK drivers are the best, or do the cars differ from country to country?