Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 8 Aug 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1677522)   #1
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV Coverage of A1....

.... is Awful!!

I think that A1 is going to grow and grow and grow.... it will eventually be very much more a mainstream sport!

But do the TV channels not see this? There is a big difference between this and many other leagues. A1 will encourage much more loyal fan base!

So why can you not get Coverage. I have free View.... I will not buy a Sky package just for A1......

So come on you TV channels - pull your fingers out and get yourselves some more viewers!!
Old 8 Aug 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1677532)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This has been covered else where but there will be delayed Terrestrial coverage in the UK
Old 8 Aug 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1677638)   #3
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends where you are. Over here in Asia we had live coverage of all qualifying sessions and all races last season. It was brilliant!
Old 8 Aug 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1677642)   #4
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
This has been covered else where but there will be delayed Terrestrial coverage in the UK
There will be? What channel?
Old 8 Aug 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1677653)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont beleive the Channel has been announced yet for terrestrial coverage but my money would be on ITV, they are giving a big commitment to motorsport in general at the moment and I think they are the most likely choice. Failing that however perhaps the BBC. Channel 4 would seem unlikely to me as they have never really had a big commitment to motorsport. IMO.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1677903)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's the link I was too busy to find earlier....
http://www.a1gp.com/news/index.php?f...d=1&newsid=313

The key part for those in the UK is in this section
Quote:
Recent A1 television deals included license agreement renewals in the Netherlands with RTL7 and TV3 in New Zealand. In addition Sky Sports UK has agreed to allow a delayed race broadcast to be made available on terrestrial television.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1678514)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrprise
I will not buy a Sky package just for A1......
Fine, watch Indycar & Grand Prix Masters too ;-)

I agree it would be nice to have terrestrial TV, but Sky did a great job with A1, it was the only racing series last year that had all qualifying sessions & races shown live (not even F1 gets that, they sometimes show long haul Qs delayed or on ITV8000).

GP2 is live on Eurosport 1 or 2 & 1 week delayed on ITV.
Champcar is sort of live on Eurosport something or other if they remember.

BTW - Wouldn't supprise me if this terrestrial delayed package is channel 5 at stupid-o-clock in the morning, so don't get too excited.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1679409)   #8
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah and dont forget that you have Motors Tv on sky which does full coverage of all BTCC races and support races.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1679984)   #9
newmikdot
Rookie

newmikdot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
winter telly

ello ntrprise--sincerely hope a1gp DOES go on "normal telly" over winter months,anything which has wheels,speeeed,and hy octane fuel is more than ok by me,infact,cant get enough 247/365--bring em on,bin the ball stuff!!nmd
Old 15 Aug 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1683018)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like ITV to me with Ben Edwards commentary and ofcourse the Motorsport commitment. I used to tape IRL races and stuff at 2 oclock and stuff. dont anymore.

Yay! First A1GP Post
Old 15 Aug 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1683607)   #11
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Courageous on this one. Stupid o'clock on Five fitted in around the baseball somewhere and probably re-commentated with someone other than Ben Edwards too. I'd love to see it given coverage by ITV in a similar way to how they are doing GP2, but I just doubt it.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1684893)   #12
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
BTW - Wouldn't supprise me if this terrestrial delayed package is channel 5 at stupid-o-clock in the morning, so don't get too excited.
That would be at least better than nothing!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1684918)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah, for it to be really stupid, it has to be like 3 weeks old like we used to get.

Allthough it wasn't at stupid-o-clock, that's just FTA Bike Racing. (ooh sweet cable, how I love you so.)
Old 17 Aug 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1684943)   #14
The Tour
Rookie

England
Croydon
The Tour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be cool to have A1 on terrestrial TV but lets face it they will not give it the time or respect that a satelite channel can so maybe we are better off.

Dont get me wrong I know not everyone can afford satelite TV but I can barely remember Motorsport life before it. I have about 10 hours a week stacked on my Sky+ box.

I go to a race meeting most weekends anyway but to come home and have hours of A1GP, ALMS, LMS, FIA GT, BTCC, WTCC, Champ Car, Indy Car, GP2, etc etc. This is coverage that never used to have and something that we will never get on terrestrial telly.

Also another rant, from whatever country you are from, if you have an A1GP meeting in your country, GET THERE. TV channels will only remain interested if the events are huge so we all have a responsibility to pack out the race tracks. TV sucks compared to being there.......
Old 27 Aug 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1693400)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
I'm with Courageous on this one. Stupid o'clock on Five fitted in around the baseball somewhere and probably re-commentated with someone other than Ben Edwards too.
Stupid o'clock I don't have an issue. But I can't tape Channel 5!

I hope it's on the BBC.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1696188)   #16
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Stupid o'clock I don't have an issue. But I can't tape Channel 5!

I hope it's on the BBC.
Not a chance in my view. BBC would have perhaps covered it in a general sports show, such as Grandstand is now. But as Grandstand gets phased out over the next couple of years then I believe nichey* sports will be completely excluded altogether.

Of course, if BBC Sport chooses to start its own channel then they might do it and I guess that's feasible over the next few years. Won't be holding my breath though.

There is still a chance ITV will pick it up though - I never thought they would give GP2 the time of day yet they do - so don't give up hope entirely. Just don't expect same day coverage.

* If "nichey" isn't a real word then it should be!!
Old 31 Aug 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1698823)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I had read somewhere that the BBC were thinking of launching an HD sports channel, possibly in conjunction with UKTV of which the BBC is a stakeholder. (Think World Cup where UKTV covered all the BBC games as well).

I'll see if I can find the link, though it was a while ago I read it...
Old 1 Sep 2006, 01:47 (Ref:1698953)   #18
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
WHo has the Australian FTA rights? I think ch10 has them but I hope Ch7 has them.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1699154)   #19
madmed
Rookie

madmed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC Outside Broadcasting was in silverstone during the test:
http://www.ollo.co.uk/a1gp/003%20Sil...reenwidth=1024
Old 1 Sep 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1699160)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well spotted! Well I think we may have our terrestial partner for A1 GP in the UK everyone.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1699167)   #21
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Well spotted! Well I think we may have our terrestial partner for A1 GP in the UK everyone.
Perhaps, but don't count your chickens, the BBC are acknowledged as one of the best organisations to provide resources to events. I've seen BBC staff, trucks, etc at other events - only for them to appear on Eurosport.
Alternatively, as it was an OB facility, it could have been there just to provide a news report for Midlands today (or indeed any other programme)
Old 4 Sep 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1701560)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Also the BBC are the leaders in minaturised "Live" cameras in the UK...so much so that there is at least one BBC truck parked along with the O21/ITV Sport trucks at BTCC events as it's the BBC who do the on-board cameras.

Also last season, the BBC (for their on-board camera technology) part of the A1GP broadcasting team that went to every meeting. This was mentioned on their website before last season started along with the other companies that made up A1GP Productions...the page doesn't appear to be on the site anymore.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 4 Sep 2006 at 13:42.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1701569)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Damn wanted one more minute to edit in this link...it's the BBC's mention of their cameras on A1GP cars.
http://www.bbcresources.co.uk/ob/spe...torsports.html
Old 8 Sep 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1705359)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
So Sky will show events live but on which channels as I've only got 1 and 3 nowadays and I have a horrible feeling it usually was on sky 2 last season?!

Yeah the beeb ob used to provide assistance to ITV F1 coverage too, don't know if still do or not though.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1709838)   #25
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Yeah the beeb ob used to provide assistance to ITV F1 coverage too, don't know if still do or not though.
They do.

Also supply equipment to WRC for the on board cameras.

there are lots of productions which rely on BBC for equipment, not just in motorsport!