Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 13 Oct 2006, 03:07 (Ref:1736759)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most surprising team of first two rounds

Who do you guys think is the most surprising team of the first two rounds, in terms of speed and competitiveness?

For me it is hard to choose between Malaysia and Germany. I expected Germany to be better than last year but not the class of the field. There seems to be a possibility that they could take over from France's performance last year.

I guess I didn't rate Alex Yoong as a top level driver after his F1 experience with Minardi. From his win in Shanghai last year we could see he was capable of doing very well on occasion, but it looks as if consistency will be added to the mix as well. Perhaps Malaysia are a surprise World Cup contender?

In addition watching the live timing during the Brno race New Zealand were actually the fastest car throughout much of the race (having also dominated qualifying), but they took longer getting past Brazil by which time Germany had gotten away and made up more places during the pit stops. There is potential there as well, although I am not sure if lead driver Halliday is actually as good as Reid. They were not quite at the same level at Zandvoort.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1737153)   #2
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't disagree with anything you have said about Germany, Malaysia and New Zealand, but for me the surprise package has to be China.

In the same way that I have suggested that engineer Chris Gorne may be the key to New Zealand's improvement, the commentary team have pointed to driver coach Marc Hynes as being key to China's improvement. He drove for Manor when he won British F3 in '99 and I'm guessing that he is now their driver coach. Frankie Cheng (aka CHENG Cong Fu) is, of course, racing for Manor in Formula Renault UK this year. You could even see him in the Silverstone finale this weekend, if you had a mind to!
Old 13 Oct 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1737249)   #3
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My pick is for Cong Fu Cheng and the China team, they have been racing steady in both rounds, but specially the last one

However i'm pretty surprised by Germany performance, this young gun is very agresive.

Mexico, Malaysia, and New Zealand somehow are on the place they finish they lasts rounds last year, within the top 5
Old 13 Oct 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1737256)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Cong Fu's fighting, certainly.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1737364)   #5
EDA82
Rookie

EDA82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Cong Fu's fighting, certainly.
Good one. But yes, China and Cong Fu Cheng are certainly punching above their respective weights. Although, I think I read somewhere that Cong Fu is a McLaren junior. As far as know, Ron Dennis doesn't hand titles out like that lightly. So perhaps, there should be no surprise. Unless I'm wrong about the McLaren thing, in which case, they are the surprise package.

As for New Zealand, no real surprise there. Both Jonny Reid and Matt Halliday are excellent steerers.

James Hinchcliffe has come on in leaps and bounds too, a much better driver than earlier form would have suggested.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1737388)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
When South Africa put Adrian Zaugg back in the car, I expect them to pick up where they left off at Zandvoort. And, no, I don't mean in the barriers.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1737534)   #7
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Stephen Simpson and Sean McIntosh were two 'finds' of last season, it is surprising how they are both perhaps being shown up.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1737678)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
My thoughts exactly. It is perhaps even more surprising in the case of McIntosh, who has been racing regularly in the WSR. I don't think Simpson has had many outings, apart from a few in the States earlier in the year.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1737978)   #9
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Simpson did very little good in those Atlantic outings, while McIntosh hasn't had many good results in WSR.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 04:49 (Ref:1739826)   #10
Rizweed
Rookie

Rizweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDA82
... But yes, China and Cong Fu Cheng are certainly punching above their respective weights. Although, I think I read somewhere that Cong Fu is a McLaren junior. As far as know, Ron Dennis doesn't hand titles out like that lightly. So perhaps, there should be no surprise. Unless I'm wrong about the McLaren thing, in which case, they are the surprise package...
i hear the same thign. frankie is a mclaren lad. he is doing wel for china. it will be good race in china.

canada is surprise for me and as wel germany. this season looks very exciting

Last edited by Rizweed; 17 Oct 2006 at 04:53.