Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Jan 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1824642)   #1
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Street race in BTCC?

Wouldn't it be great if the BTCC had a street race again?

If memory is correct wasn't there a street race in Birmingham at one point?

I would love to see a street race on the calender and I think it would enhance the BTCC brand.

I guess logistics and cost play a major roll in the process but it would be great to see.

What does everyone else think?
Old 24 Jan 2007, 14:09 (Ref:1824718)   #2
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I think it would be a very fast way to break A LOT of cars. So naturally, I'm all for it! Lol.

In all seriousness, I think ALL Racing series should include a street race at some point, it is one of the most spectacular settings to race in, not so great to watch in person, but awesome to witness on TV. It also shows you who the best drivers are, as there is NO margin for error, you're either on track, or eating concrete.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1824731)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think a street race would seriously help enforce the connections that the manufacturers want to make between their road cars and their racing efforts.

I would be a simple connection to make having a 888 Vectra racing on the roads that people drive their own cars down.

And touring cars surrounded by armco...its got my vote.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 14:42 (Ref:1824745)   #4
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a video of it a while back, i'll try and find it again.

I'd love one too!

EDIT - This is it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcn-IpDWYN0
Old 24 Jan 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1824747)   #5
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Just Youtube BTCC 1990, or Birmingham Superprix, or just Superprix.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1824752)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
off topic if anyone has any pics that they took at the Super Prix I'd really like to hear from you.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1824754)   #7
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
i think a street race would seriously help enforce the connections that the manufacturers want to make between their road cars and their racing efforts.
But there's not a lot of manufacturer support in todays BTCC, so although the drivers might like the idea I doubt there's the financial clout to stage the event. IIRC the BTCC rounds at Birmingham were support races for Euro F3000, and were accompanied by a lot of other high-profile championships. The TOCA package won't sell out a street race, IMO, and I have reservations about whether a local council would back closing all their roads for a weekend for something so un-green.

If a tight and narrow circuit with near naff-all appropriate facilities is needed, why not take the BTCC to Cadwell? (something I'd be in favour of, as I quite like the place)
Old 24 Jan 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1824765)   #8
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop are one of the major employers in Birmingham, and sponsor the BTCC. It is something that we at Dunlop are often lobbying for with the City Council.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1824774)   #9
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And here it is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...TCC+Birmingham
Old 24 Jan 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1824854)   #10
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'd maybe need something like A1GP or Champ Car to have a UK street race and the BTCC to be a support for it to happen. A bigger series with more money in it.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1824963)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would like to see BTCC all on street circuits. One round in each major city would work well. TransAm races have been headline events in the past.I went to one at Reno in 1996.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1825006)   #12
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I costs millions to put on a street race and will never happen (for any type of championship) unless the government puts up the big money needed. And that just ain't going to happen.

Last edited by touring fan01; 24 Jan 2007 at 19:35.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1825033)   #13
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah remember it well as went to all 4 F3000 races at Birmingham, and yes the sight of Rouse etc was well spectacular.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1825264)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I still have my program from the 1989 BTCC race, I can't find the others.

I went to all except that last one.

I live in Solihull which is about 20 minutes from the streets they raced on at the Superprix.
The cars were that loud, that on a quiet Saturday morning I could hear the cars in my back garden - mad.

I would welcome back the superprix with open arms, though I suspect safety standards are now such that any such event would be scuppered by the killjoy safety brigade.

I sat at Halfords Hairpin for every event, and still never understood why that tyre chicane was placed on the inside, blocking anyone diving up the inside on the brakes.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 01:33 (Ref:1825329)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
Yeah remember it well as went to all 4 F3000 races at Birmingham, and yes the sight of Rouse etc was well spectacular.
Five, I thought? 1986-90 inclusive. It was mightily spectacular, and while I'm not generally in favour of street races taking away money from the permanent tracks, just once a year I could make an exception...
Old 25 Jan 2007, 04:32 (Ref:1825365)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think street circuits may be the way to inject life back into british motorsport. Something to be considered.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1825453)   #17
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes 5.I missed just one qualifying day.As for 'taking money from the permanent circuits' they have failed miserably to atract the public-of use now only for competitors?
Old 26 Jan 2007, 12:27 (Ref:1826404)   #18
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Street races in BTCC? I don't think they would work...imagine how few of the drivers would finish the races
Old 29 Jan 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1828395)   #19
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
It would be great to have a street race and a night race on the calendar. Sadly I doubt we'll ever see that happen.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 11:10 (Ref:1828451)   #20
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Night race already has happened, Snetterton, 1999, and 2000, I believe.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1828474)   #21
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Night race already has happened, Snetterton, 1999, and 2000, I believe.
I did go to a couple of night races at Snetterton, thou off the top of my head I can't remember the dates.

Maybe I should have worded my post better...

I would like to see them back on the calendar (street and night race).
Old 29 Jan 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1828541)   #22
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questions regarding street races and night races in the BTCC have been put to Alan Gow over at www.btcc.net a few times now. There are some quite interesting responses from Alan explaining why there currnetly aren't any and what would be needed to stage either.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1828579)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Realistically can you ever see a street race happening in this country again. Closing a section of Edinburgh or Milton Keynes for a couple of hours for a demo is one thing, closing an entire city centre for a weekend is quite a different proposition. I believe Birmingham needed an act of parliament, and I suspect any future proposal would too. With the current eco-friendly anti-car political climate that's pretty much a non starter.

The Snetterton night race was dropped due to the cost. As I recall the figure of £50-100K was mentioned just for the floodlights. That's without the added cost to the team, not just BTCC but support races as well, with minimal increase in spectator numbers.

I'd much rather the money was used to re-start Radio TOCA - a service which is sadly lacking - rather than was money on gimmicks such as night/street races.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1828591)   #24
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
First time they raced in Birmingham was 1989.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXzrNyMc6I
Old 29 Jan 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1828826)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
The Snetterton night race was dropped due to the cost. As I recall the figure of £50-100K was mentioned just for the floodlights. That's without the added cost to the team, not just BTCC but support races as well, with minimal increase in spectator numbers.
Why do you need floodlights when the cars have functioning headlights