Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Aug 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1067118)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ross Brawn's Qualifying System Suggestion

Did anyone else notice this in the ITV coverage? Apparently Ross BRawn has sugegsted a system with a 12-lap 60-minute session, with the twist that, after each 15 minute period, the slowest 5 cars are eliminated. This would force people to put a lap in earlier, and encourage them to save laps for later, and should produce the odd surprise. What do you all think about it?
Old 15 Aug 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1067130)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
personally no quly system is good enough to mix the field up.... the 2002 format was also good but the fact remains the fastest guys will always be at the front unless you wet the track artificially when they run...

i think the FIA and teams should concentrate more on trying to close the gap to Ferrari si that the other teams can challenge Ferrari... then go back to any quly system you want and they will be exciting
Old 15 Aug 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1067134)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You miss the point here ralfy. We don't want a qualifying system that necessarily mixes the grid. We just want a qualifying system that is entertaining to watch ie - unlimited, low fuel, sticky tyre runs.

Brawns system is interesting........not sure it'd woirk without all and sundry complaining though.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1067140)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly. Why make it false? Just open the gates and make em find their own room. 1 hour on Friday and one on Saturday. Fastes time counts. Hmm. Getting a feeling of De Ja Vu here.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1067144)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
agree qith you guys low fuel, new tyres and let them fly... i personally didnt mind that the big guns did not go out for the first 25 mins in the old way
Old 15 Aug 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1067153)   #6
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Exactly. Why make it false? Just open the gates and make em find their own room. 1 hour on Friday and one on Saturday. Fastes time counts. Hmm. Getting a feeling of De Ja Vu here.
Yep, that's what we all have to do so why can't F1 be the same, much more even and fun to watch
Old 15 Aug 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1067208)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2 one-hour sessions didn't work when it was dry on Friday and wet on Saturday, as it meant the TV viewers didn't get any meaning ful action. And while oyu might not get bored staring at a largely-empty track for 25 minutes, a lot of casual viewers did. Like it or not, 1-lap qualifying really boosted viewing figures last year. It was a new idea, just like what Ross is suggesting.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1067209)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1 lap qualifying - a single session with low fuel. Go out in the order of finishing the last race. Simple.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1067211)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1 session, fastest driver gets pole. Simpler?
Old 15 Aug 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1067214)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd rather see everyone's lap though.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1067239)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know this is the same old stuff that we always go over, but I prefer everyone to be able to respond. (we are agreed on low fuel, so that is the main difference I guess). You can save all the in cars for analysis afterwards and enjoy the real tension of the session unfold.

As for Ross' idea. It's OK. Certainly worth considering. It might get four nail biters as people on the cusp need to make sure there in the next fifteen minutes. Also it will make sure everyone goes out early too. In addition the Minardi and lower grid lot still get coverage (if the director is half sensible) because that will be where the action is at the end of the first fifteen minutes. Then the mid field get their coverage. Then towards the end the front of the grid wet-your-pants-balls-out-shots for ultimate glory. (did I over-sell that?)
Old 15 Aug 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1067240)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
2 one-hour sessions didn't work when it was dry on Friday and wet on Saturday, as it meant the TV viewers didn't get any meaning ful action.
S'cuse me. Who give's a toss about tv viewers? We're talking about racing here.

Quote:
And while oyu might not get bored staring at a largely-empty track for 25 minutes, a lot of casual viewers did. Like it or not, 1-lap qualifying really boosted viewing figures last year. It was a new idea, just like what Ross is suggesting.
Bx. Its just trying to make the whole thing a tv show rather than a sport.

Let's get real here. MS can do the one shot quali. He can do the laps in 1 hour. Anything they bring in will be meat and gravy to him, so go back to best of two hours, big slicks, qualifying tyres and balls out motoring.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1067275)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Who give's a toss about tv viewers? We're talking about racing here.
Quite, it is a sport not a show.

Why not go back to the old system. All sessions count?
Old 15 Aug 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1067288)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Oh come on!

F1 needs televison.

I know it's great to think of the romance of the "golden age" but the vast majority of fans want to see the action that matters on their television.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1067295)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
KB. I have an impression of you but I can't share it here.

The point is that TV is one thing and we all (including you) complain of the state of the show. And then someone says its a sport and all of a sudden you get all (we need tv etc.) Well "WE" don't. "WE" want to see racing as it should be. All we get now is manufactured and pious people like you saying it's good.

As I said elsewhere, I've got to go into my office tomorrow and tell a guy who loves football (and never stops telling me how good it is) that what we saw today was a great race. I can't and I won't and I'm seriously embarrassed for my chosen sport.

Come up with something better or stop trying to convince me. One or the other.

(Just a note here. I've never found a GP to make me so negative before).
Old 15 Aug 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1067299)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Calm down Pete, mate!

One thing that worries me about the possible re-introduction of the qualifying system we all loved is that will it work in conjunction with the one engine for two (or even three) race weekend rules? Will anyone go out more than say once or twice?

Still, I suppose even that would be better than the compromise we suffer currently.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1067304)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Calm as the proverbial.

How many engines do you think they had in (say) 1978? They were pushed for two for each car.!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1067307)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

But they weren't penalised ten places on the grid in an era where it is seemingly impossible to overtake!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 19:01 (Ref:1067311)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I rest my case.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 19:07 (Ref:1067320)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
KB. I have an impression of you but I can't share it here.

I'm sure it's not accurate
Old 15 Aug 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1067331)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Now I know it is!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1067333)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

I thought you might!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1067342)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
2 one-hour sessions didn't work when it was dry on Friday and wet on Saturday, as it meant the TV viewers didn't get any meaning ful action.
Actually, it did.

Unless you happened to live somewhere where the friday qualifying session ...

I remember in the mid 90s we had to switch (because of commercial breaks) between dutch RTL, german RTL, eurosport and BBC; And on the BBC, the commentators had to explain to the public what had happened during the friday qualifying session (which they did not broadcast at the time).
Old 15 Aug 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1067398)   #24
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not run a Super Pole type system.

heres the plan.....

A couple of hours running on friday.
One Hour on Saturday, and then run a one lap/one car system with race fuel.

Easy enough to understand for punters and teams alike.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1067798)   #25
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I give Ross Brawn's suggestion my full thumbs up. It WILL give viewers a spectacle, with the last 15min periods being very crazy. It would work, too.