Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Aug 2002, 16:27 (Ref:350549)   #26
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
Accoding to Autosport the safety car period after the Krumpen crash lasted 3 hours! I didn't see much the race as I was at Brands Hatch, so does anyone know why it lasted so long?
They had to clear the track of wreckage (of which there seems to have been a lot), clean up the track (the Viper had caught fire), and fix the armco.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 17:36 (Ref:350578)   #27
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.spa24hours.com/video/accident.html

Just after the crash, you can see the fluid running across the track and the cars spreading it as they ran through it.

Anthony Kumpen was a lucky guy. Glad he is ok.

Anyone got a full entry list, with first and surnames? I need a couple to finish the points standings.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 17:48 (Ref:350589)   #28
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
http://www.spa24hours.com/video/accident.html
That whole site seems to be down right now.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:16 (Ref:350610)   #29
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
No, I get it to load.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:23 (Ref:350617)   #30
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Nope, doesn't work from here. Well whatever it is, it seems to be local. I'll try later.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:36 (Ref:350631)   #31
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Try the main site:

www.spa24hours.com

If that works, go to the video section and clikc on 'Kumpen Accident'
Old 5 Aug 2002, 20:05 (Ref:350688)   #32
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The main reason for the length of the safety car period was the damage to the armco - the barrier had been punched through by the impact (s) in at least two places. An absolutely massive hit.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 16:10 (Ref:351392)   #33
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry for the crash. That destroyed Anthony's season completely. Not every Schumacher is a world champion. But there was also good news. The Veryplast TVR Cerbera made it to the finish line and ended up in 25th position. Huge congratulations to Dominiek, Martin, Rob, Simon and the pit crew who did an awesome job all weekend and especially during race night. Rob set the 3rd fastest lap overall during the night qualifying on thursday in the rain. This must have scared most of the FIA GT drivers. Simon, despite his youth, proved to be a sensible driver never risking the car. He did his first ever night stint at Spa, very well done. And Martin held all the ropes in his hands. Also, he seemed to have always one eye on his son. At the end of the race Dominiek looked like he didn't realise what the team had achived. Dominiek, if you read this: This was an amazing achivement and it will hopefully be honored by the company. The 25th position is an excellent result and it could have even been better if a minor problem had been found earlier. Again, huge congratulations for the Veryplast effort in Spa.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 16:56 (Ref:351424)   #34
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said hgb, an amazing effort, although martin was getting a bit streaaed because rob and simon were racing the porsches (and beating a lot of them) and he only wanted them to do 2(?)min 40's instead of a racing pace anyway a great race and hopefully only the start of a long and victoriuos future for TVR in europe and Enduro
Old 6 Aug 2002, 17:16 (Ref:351449)   #35
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
It was a great effort by the TVR boys, but the FIA GT drivers won't be scared because that car isn't allowed to race in the FIA GT Championship. It only did the Spa 24hrs under Belcar rules.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:54 (Ref:351554)   #36
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Still, it's one of those stories - the little engine that could.
TVR may have gained some knowledge from this effort that will help them do something of an FIA GT or Le Mans nature with the Tuscan R.
I wonder if TVR is a big enough manufacturer to launch such a racing programme, though.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 19:05 (Ref:351563)   #37
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Watch this space!!!!!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 19:18 (Ref:351571)   #38
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Will one of them be bright orange...?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 19:58 (Ref:352531)   #39
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The safety car period did last 3 hours, I think that there was a problem with the wall or armco being rebuilt to an acceptable standard.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 20:59 (Ref:352595)   #40
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Also, the crashed happened at around 1am, so it was dark, despite having lights around that part of the track.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 05:58 (Ref:352782)   #41
hgb
Racer

I don't know how it could happen in the middle of the start/finish straight. It was just before the main grandstand. It surely was a very stupid and expensive mistake. Dr. Ulrich Schumacher should never again step into a race car in such an important race. I hope he learned his lesson. The track was full of debris and the armco was destroyed severely. They had to clear the track and rebuild the armco. That took quite some time.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 08:29 (Ref:352849)   #42
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piglet is correct about the lenght of the safety car period. A comment I got was that the rebuild wasn't good enough.

A lucky escape for Kumpen, who, according to Dailysportscar.com, has now said that he is sitting out the rest of the season as to get a new car back up to the same level would take too much time and money.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 13:44 (Ref:353078)   #43
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of Spa - big congratulations to the TVR boys, Martin Short, Rob Barff, Simon Pullan and the rest of the team (including Morgan!). What you achieved was fantastic (oh and thanks for the biscuits!)

Last edited by Piglet; 8 Aug 2002 at 13:45.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:50 (Ref:353580)   #44
hgb
Racer

The Veryplast site has been updated (www.veryplast-racing.be) for those who are interested in an in depth report of the weekend.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 12:53 (Ref:353930)   #45
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.spa24hours.com/video/accident.html its all aftermath - no shots of the actual car twatting the armco.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 16:36 (Ref:354122)   #46
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
http://www.spa24hours.com/video/accident.html its all aftermath - no shots of the actual car twatting the armco.
Thankfully!
Old 10 Aug 2002, 07:09 (Ref:354454)   #47
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Is the SPA track well lighten? I did a six hour race at a track called Buttonwillow in California, I drove the night stint and I couldn't see sh*t because all they had was reflectors. At the 24 hours of Moroso they had lights.

I followed the SPA 24 on the computer. I liked how there site worked.

Last edited by Fiorentina 1; 10 Aug 2002 at 07:11.