Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 2 Apr 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2168204)   #1
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HeyEverbodyBackAtOnce! Challenge (a.k.a. Neighborhood Track Challenge)

Where's everybody? The Forum seems as deserted as never before

Maybe a challenge might help. So, here's one:

Design a street track around where you live. No point of the track may be further than 1.6 kilometers (or 1 mile) from your very home. Please, also mark or indicate somehow the location of yer residence.

Bonus score for anyone who also includes an ample pitlane and maybe even paddock area.

Of course it doesn't have to be a street circuit - if you live in a neighborhood where you can design a non-street circuit feel free to do so.

The track should be between 3.2 and 6.4 kilometers (2 and 4 miles) in distance Please try not to include dirt, clay or cobblestone roads if possible.

Good luck everyone.

bio

PS: Hope noone lives on a quarter acre island
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2168235)   #2
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
Nope, but I live near a much bigger one!

My track is located on an island in the middle of the Oneida River in Central New York. I live on the other side of the river near the bottom of the picture. In order for the track to be built. There would have to be a lot of demolishing of trees as the whole island is pretty much a forest. Also, the island seems to be a home for deer.

The track is 2.04 miles and runs clockwise. It's a tight squeeze, but it should work. The paddock would be located inside the track, next to the pits. I can see it being possible to watch the race from your boats on the river surrounding the island. There really isn't much in the way of hotels or other attractions in the immediate vicinity, but the track is about 15-20 minutes from downtown Syracuse, including what will be the largest retail complex in the U.S (meaning bigger than the Mall of America), Destiny USA (http://www.destinyusa.com/).

Hope you like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Clay, NY (2.04 miles).jpg  
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2168236)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some people may have an issue with their exact locations. Also not everyone lives in an area with High resolution Satellite photos for doing this challenge.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:34 (Ref:2168243)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
SBF,
you have a point there, sadly.

bio
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:34 (Ref:2168244)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Watching the race from a boat... Now, that's some idea!

bio
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2168247)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Then, just so mandretti won't be alone, here's mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hometown.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	687.4 KB
ID:	19318

The track is in Budapest, Hungary. It's a coule of meters short of 4 miles and runs anti.

I might redraw it later to include a pitlane.

bio
Old 3 Apr 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2168317)   #7
GT VIRUS
Rookie

GT VIRUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh i have this SOOO easy! i live on campus at flinders uni, south australia. Its in the hills, and the roads are absolutly fantastic to drive on. There are even 2 different variations, at 2.75 and 4.8km respectively. It is a fantastic road to have a hoon on at night (using the ring road of the long circuit is great).

the SF straight is slightly uphill and flattens just before t1, which is nice and fast. Turn 2 is a 90 corner which drops about 2 m on exit. the course is reasonably flat until t4 where it drops violently away and compresses on exit making t5 an even steeper uphill climb. from here to about half way though t11 the course is uphill, winding though the buildings of the uni, then the course starts to dip back down gradually until after t16, where it drops violently again to lead to T17 (where it would problely need to be a slower instead of using the sweeper like i have on the daigram).
The Sf line is a 8-lane main highway, soo space on either side shouldn't be an issue.

On a sunnier day i might just go grab pictures

P.s i live at the blue dot to the right of t4
Attached Thumbnails
UNI.jpg  
Old 3 Apr 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2168432)   #8
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my home track. It's one I posted some time ago, but I still like it. Although it would be far from suited for any big cars to race on.

It's 4.2 km (2.6 mi) long, anti-clockwise, and start-finish straight starts at the bottom right. Pit lane's there, too.

My house is at the red arrows, top left.

(Click for a gmap version)
Old 3 Apr 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2168531)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Wow, GTVirus, that's a track I wouldn't guess to be a street course just from the shape! Very god one!

bio
Old 3 Apr 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2168536)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Lustigson,

seems like we two are littlering your neighborhood with tracks

bio
Old 3 Apr 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2168548)   #11
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 3 Apr 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2168576)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio

Design a street track around where you live. No point of the track may be further than 1.6 kilometers (or 1 mile) from your very home. Please, also mark or indicate somehow the location of yer residence.

Knowing that it would be pretty much impossible around where I live, I'll explain why...it's worse than a quarter acre Island.

I live in a small village, that's based along a single main road, a few roads and streets come off it, even a couple of loops, but no return route from one part of the village to another.
The shortest real loop would be to pass through other villages and would come out at about 8 - 9 miles (12.8-14.4km). None of which is in high Res on Google Earth/GoogleMaps
This despite the fact that I live less than 5 miles away from the motorway/highway that links Scotlands 2 largest cities Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2168672)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
SBF,
sorry for the challenge idea that doesn't fit you at all. I should've thought of the fact that not the whole planet is in high res on Google maps...

bio
Old 3 Apr 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2168687)   #14
GT VIRUS
Rookie

GT VIRUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey its a good thing, someone else needs to win one lol

i went on a 'flying lap' (highway to highway at some speed) tonight, it is truely a great drive
Old 3 Apr 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2168715)   #15
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, you could definitely NOT do that on my lap - boy, there's no time of day when at least one section is not jammed

bio
Old 3 Apr 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2168762)   #16
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, so designing a street circuit in the neighborhood where I live wasn´t the easiest thing in the world. This is what I came up with. It´s 5,7 km long and it offers some nice corners. The track is ran anticlockwise. In real life it would be totally impossible becouse it runs through residential neighborhood, the streets are way too narrow, it has quite many speedbumps and the pit/paddock comlex I sqeezed on some parking lots would be way too small. Overall though, I like the layout and there is quite
a lot of elevation changes to spice it up. What do you guys think?

PS. I live in the building circeled in red. The only part of the track that I can see from my room is the part around the second-to-last corner.
Attached Thumbnails
joo.jpg  

Last edited by Iceman13; 3 Apr 2008 at 15:37.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2168848)   #17
bio
Veteran

Hungary
"Okay, so designing a street circuit in the neighborhood where I live wasn´t the easiest thing in the world. "

That's why it's called "a challenge"

Geat job, by the way. Especially the twisty part before the S/F straight!

I guess my track also has some impossible sections, streets that are too narrow, tramrails to cross and so on...

bio

Last edited by bio; 3 Apr 2008 at 17:28.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2168941)   #18
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track runs clockwise.
Length: 5.76km (3.6 miles)

There is a chicane where it turns on to the main road before the roundabout.

There is a plotting error in the top right. The two corners, after looking closer, and after uploading, is more like a chicane, to prevent too much hedge being destroyed (for a closer look at the hedge itself, the GE Coordinates are 51degs 37'27"N 1deg 05'45").

It may be possilbe to run anti clockwise, but the runoff would be safer in an anti clockwise direction.

Hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Track.bmp  
Old 3 Apr 2008, 20:09 (Ref:2168971)   #19
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Wow, Tathrim this is a good one! Half street circuit, half not, good corners, speed and skills - geat!

Is that an existin circuit on the lower right half of the pic?

bio
Old 3 Apr 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2168976)   #20
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some very fine tracks here guys. Very Fine.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2169007)   #21
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
Wow, Tathrim this is a good one! Half street circuit, half not, good corners, speed and skills - geat!

Is that an existin circuit on the lower right half of the pic?

bio
I agree, the mixed format is inspired.

Bio the lower right is an active RAF base. I won't say which as Tathrim's location on his profile isn't exact.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2169016)   #22
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I see it's an air base but thought maybe it's also used as a track. Jus hoping, you know

bio
Old 3 Apr 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2169039)   #23
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBF: It's fine. I actually live elsewhere in the village, but I do still live within a mile of each point of the curcuit, therefore still qualifying, and only used a different point that fitted the rules to disguise where my actual house was because I am cautious of giving out personal info as to my whereabouts.

Bio: The base is RAF Benson and, SBF is right, it is active. However, I seem to recall that the bottom runway section (below the cross) is disused apart from the occasional vehicle, and only then because of fire safety and dog training. As to the top runwaysection, it can be used because the base only facilitates Merlins and Hercules helicopters in operations. The planes are on the other side of the county at Brize Norton, and rarely land at Benson. If that isn't the case, the rack can be rerouted along the fairway, which is definitely disused. if both are useable, there would be a possibility of a 2 mile club circuit. on the airfield alone.

Last edited by Tathrim; 3 Apr 2008 at 21:44.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2169134)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim
I seem to recall that the bottom runway section (below the cross) is disused apart from the occasional vehicle, and only then because of fire safety and dog training.As to the top runwaysection, it can be used because the base only facilitates Merlins and Hercules helicopters in operations. The planes are on the other side of the county at Brize Norton, and rarely land at Benson.
:cough: Merlin and Puma helicopters (Hercules is large cargo aircraft).
:cough: No. 6 AEF (Air Experience Flight) operate their Grob Tutor 2 seat trainer aircraft from Benson for Air Cadets and Oxford University Air Squadron
:Cough: It's the shorter (1.4km) East/West(ish) runway that no longer used, not the (1.8km) North/South(ish) runway, which is capable of handling any and all of the RAF's currrent fleet of aircraft.

Aviation is a close second to Motorsport when it comes to my hobbies.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 00:02 (Ref:2169136)   #25
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My go...
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1756794
It's a tiny bit long at 5.1km for a street circuit but never mind. Most of the Birmingham Superprix track is less than a mile from where I live along the straight at the bottom of the track so I've used the old pit lane, although I couldn't use the full length of the straight as it would go outside the mile. Hope you like it.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion