Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Mar 2015, 08:36 (Ref:3512678)   #151
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
John....I can't believe you have ever posted something that has wound people up?!!!!
Doesn't bare thinking about does it???

But in truth he is one of the voices I always tend to listen to....and...he certainly has set this forum alight with this and the other threads that are out there so top marks to him.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3512679)   #152
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Doesn't bare thinking about does it???

But in truth he is one of the voices I always tend to listen to....and...he certainly has set this forum alight with this and the other threads that are out there so top marks to him.
Agree Claire....although before his moan about what a sleepy forum this has become I could read what everyone was up to in half an hour, now it takes hours to wade through it all!!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 27 Mar 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3520627)   #153
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe JR, the writing on the screens is so small we can't read it any more.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:48 (Ref:3520842)   #154
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps visions of Claire 'bare thinking' are too much for some to bear?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3521104)   #155
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Must admit that I had been having similar thoughts. Perhaps we have done the usual topics of noise, originality, recreations and eligibility to death!
Could be true, I though the new extended process of re-issuing HTP's might just have started some strong views, or are we frightened of up-setting those who wield the stick, or the undoing of once allowed more modern components on the Martini cars, passed by with hardly a glance.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3669288)   #156
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You last visited: 13 Oct 2014 at 10:50

Two year absence. Doesn't seem like I missed much....
Old 2 Sep 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3669296)   #157
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't that the point of historic racing? Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Sep 2016, 22:09 (Ref:3669302)   #158
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We are missing your input Roger!
I don't have anyone to spa with.so in consequence don't post very often and then only usually just to stir.
It's probably me lossing bit of interest as have done most things in last forty years .
Can only discuss same stuff sbout same subjects so many times!
Joe, Simon, Peter,etc are all reducing their input.
The days when Spa Six Hours had pages have gone disputed it being one of best events on programme.
The fleet of GT 40's this year will be something special
I even now understand Goodwood and am aware it's the most important event in UK
Having had more entries than anyone in Le Mans Classic since its inception am thinking it's unlikely we will be back.
Someone who knows about these things suggested to me the other day that it's only people who are late middle age to old farts( like me!) are prepared to race cars. This is obviously a reducing market as we are all on way to knackers yard.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 05:44 (Ref:3669341)   #159
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you'll find many forums are suffering the same thing. Facebook appears to have taken over. I hear the same comments in other on-line communities and know some have closed down.

Old 3 Sep 2016, 06:04 (Ref:3669342)   #160
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure you're right, Max.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3669360)   #161
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
FB has taken a fair chunk of traffic, but it's not much more than a huge online photo album.

I don't get Tw@tter . . .just screams 'look at me look at me'

For me at least Historics is in a slightly strange place. I've only been involved 15 or so years and it's changed a lot. I still love it in the same ways but those ways have largely been superseded.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 11:30 (Ref:3669370)   #162
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am feeling the same way, but did not post this on purpose because we have threads of this kind before, and they certainly dont change anything for the good.

The Oulton Park thread was very poor.
almost not worth following

there was a huge controversial crash which sparked no discussion whatsoever

yes FB has taken over a lot of traffic
but here you would make contact with people that you dont know yet
i found that worthwhile

funny thing is
FB is much of a nonevent for youngsters

suits Historic Racing that we embrace it

RE
Old 3 Sep 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3669386)   #163
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Deltas and Mike B are much more reasonable and PR orientated about things than we ever were!

Get the impression they don't like controversy !

JT used to let things go.

Could be correct decision as some posters were not happy with handbags.

Back to sleep!
Old 3 Sep 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3669412)   #164
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've quite enjoyed a bit of handbags, the truth hurts

nothing much changes so it gets tiresome repeating ones self when you're largely talking to yourself as well.

Have met some good people via here though.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3669572)   #165
midgetman
Veteran

FB is very very good for marketing. You can tell a story and people get to know you, and gradually it brings people in and they become customers :-)

Old 3 Sep 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3669582)   #166
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Don't worry when one of the MGB 's does a sub 3 min lap at Spathis year it will all kick of again .
Old 4 Sep 2016, 05:44 (Ref:3669920)   #167
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised it has happened already Iain.3:08 on histos should see around 3:04 on zz's.That was with a totally compliant engine,not a 2.1 litre as has oft been used by others.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 06:35 (Ref:3669930)   #168
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The days of stories about B's are over.
They may do 3 mins if a 356 can do under 3 10 but nobody really cares.
Now if The Shepherd Terry did that 2 42 he promised us this place may start to move.Bur only for old staggers!
Look at the reducing number of pages for Spa 6,Le Mans,Goodwood.
Best of luck boys.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 07:36 (Ref:3669935)   #169
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the reduced number of pages on the historic threads more down to the sport now being 'not new' as opposed to the fact that people have lost interest. I mean 'not new' in the sense that although LMC, Goodwood, Spa-Six hours etc haven't always been around - they've been around for quite a while now, possible 10-20 years haven't they?

So it's understandable that going back a few years on 'Tenths that there would be more posts - there was still the 'novelty / newness' factor wasn't there?Nowadays they are regular, albeit big, events so there is perhaps less to comment on other than when something out of the ordinary happens - e.g. incidents at Goodwood last year which sparked a lengthy thread.

Picking up on a conversation I had with Mike & Cliff at this year's Silverstone Classic, I find 'Tenths a valuable learning tool. I'm not a racer or owner so the insights of those individuals are, as said, invaluable.

I've never met Roger but I miss his posts on here as they were always very insightful and informative. I know he posts on Facebook (his page tends to appear in my FB 'friends things you might be interested in' alerts i.e. motorsport). Pity he's mainly gone from here.

As to FB, Twitter etc - someone mentioned that they are about 'look at me' I think. Yes they are to a great extent. But they are also a very useful method to keep in touch and find out what's going on - I use them quite actively (not so much FB, I don't do the 'friends' thing on there) from a motorsports and photography point of view. Although the main one for me now tends to be Instagram which is more photography focussed.

So to those that post regularly I say keep on doing it and to those that have gone missing - well that's up to them.....

Of course I may be reading it totally wrong - afterall, I'm not as old as most of you on here!!!
Old 5 Sep 2016, 07:17 (Ref:3670222)   #170
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey, guys, less despondency. We know that historics has issues, much of it down literally to its own success and, in certain areas its strong commercial viability. The trouble is that I do think some of it is a bit stale; hence my desire to think a bit laterally (the RevStrat for example - which is not dead by any means). It is a matter of balancing the 'oh no, not more historic racing; there's too much already' with 'let's try something fresh and different'.

Yep, other internet media used by loads of people but I have deliberately avoided FB and Twitter; I spend enough time on the Internet as it is. I actually still look in almost everyday here, except when away (my mob phone is, by choice, an internet free zone) but we don't have to do much modding in historics because there is not much hand bagging worthy of interference. It may not be quite as active as it used to be but this forum has been going for a decade and was, from the start, one of the most successful on this site. It will have its ebbs and flows, of course, but there are usually a few threads that we can get our teeth into.

It was great to see that Roger still looks in even if he doesn't post much now. I regard both him ands JR as friends despite the fact that I hardly see them from one year to the next, although actually seen both this year! It is also true that something like four/five times our thread contributors read the stuff on this forum, even now, so we are not speaking to an empty house! Even as I write, I note that we have 10 members on, but 31 guests also watching!

One of the reasons, I don't spend quite the same level of time on here as I used to is my involvement with FISCAR which probably wouldn't have occurred without 10- Tenths and the fact that I have tried to organise a few races of my own (The Scott Brown at Snet, The Bic Healey at Silverstone). As anyone involved knows, organising races, especially doing it on your own, is unbelievably time consuming.

In summary, I think that there is plenty of mileage in this forum yet. If you are bored with the current content, come up with something you want to discuss. There is most likely a bunch of others who would gladly like the opportunity to contribute.

Last edited by John Turner; 5 Sep 2016 at 07:23.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Sep 2016, 08:59 (Ref:3670237)   #171
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just thought I'd throw this one in, randomly. From left to right, Joe (Zef), Mike Bell, JR & Gareth Burnett, none of whom I would have met but for 10-Tenths:-
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF8077SSJT.jpg  
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Sep 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3670284)   #172
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Just thought I'd throw this one in, randomly. From left to right, Joe (Zef), Mike Bell, JR & Gareth Burnett, none of whom I would have met but for 10-Tenths:-
Had to enlarge that before I found Mike......of course I know he's a wiry sort of chap, as well as being shy and retiring, but well hidden there!
Old 8 Sep 2016, 04:39 (Ref:3670901)   #173
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Well, John, there's a downside to most things
Old 8 Sep 2016, 04:50 (Ref:3670904)   #174
bauble
Veteran

England
The best way to increase the volume of posts is to insult someone, something that/who is greatly admired by the majority of members, unfortunately being rude to bauble will provoke little response.

1. HANS devices are for whimps.

2. Mods are a pain in the neck.

3. Those people who are constantly bemoaning the problems they encounter as they journey back and forth across the channel, should suck it up and not trouble the rest of us with their problems.

4. Photographers who display their images on site (apart from mine) are just showing off.

These are the types of posts that might rile some people, however, I would never concur with such opinions.

Old 8 Sep 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3670939)   #175
midgetman
Veteran

You forgot "the future of motor sport is outside the strictures of the MSA. No driver tests, no licences, no appeal processes."

There, that normally gets certain people going!