Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Aug 2002, 23:07 (Ref:348219)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another panoz coupe on the cars

Panoz have said that with the new rule changes for LMP cars would hinder a front engined car, so they revert to a LMP coupe. The Panoz esperante was the last Panoz coupe and in 2004 we could see something similar because a coupe would have better areodynamic flow but no decision will be made till the new LM rules come out in autumn.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 01:10 (Ref:348271)   #2
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds good, I loved the old GTR-1.

Last edited by FastJoel31; 2 Aug 2002 at 01:11.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 06:32 (Ref:348342)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Me too. It looked so different from everything else of the time, I'd like to see it back in some revised guise.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 13:22 (Ref:348681)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, but the thing is that Panoz is saying essentially that front-engined is dead as a concept, with nowhere to put venturis if the driver is essentially beside and behind the engine. So the GTR-1 wouldn't be the template.

More like the standard GTP shape (Bentley, Toyota GT-ONE etc.) something that allows for whatever ground effects are mandated in the 2004 rules.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Aug 2002, 13:44 (Ref:348698)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more GT Prototpes we can get the better i feel.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 10:00 (Ref:349229)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the "standard" GTP shape?? As of now, there is only one GTP. Are you complaining already?
Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:12 (Ref:349323)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I meant mid-engined.

But you knew that, right?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:36 (Ref:349334)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whatever, I'm with racer, put a roof on it!
Old 4 Aug 2002, 18:30 (Ref:349924)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have heard a Panoz person (can't remember who) say that Panoz will never ever ever ever ever build a car with the engine behind the driver, never, not ever etc etc.....
Old 5 Aug 2002, 03:07 (Ref:350161)   #10
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be Dr. Don.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 16:54 (Ref:350564)   #11
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think that Panoz could enter Panoz Esperante again?? In my humble opinion Panoz Motorsport will update the old Esperante....
Old 5 Aug 2002, 17:37 (Ref:350581)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great.

As much as I like the LMP car. I always prefered the GTR-1.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 20:33 (Ref:350709)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I've heard the "front-engine forever" quote, but my understanding is that the talk of mid-engines antecedes that. A change of heart, maybe?

The problem with the front-engined car is that the driver has to either be off to a side (as is current) or have his feet directly behind the motor a la Corvette/Viper/GTR-1. Otherwise the driver is sitting right in the path of one of the ground effects venturix. This negates the expected balance advantage found by placing the engine exactly in the middle of the wheelbase.

-Bill James
Old 6 Aug 2002, 08:21 (Ref:351064)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Considering the amount of money that Don has thrown at his sportscar project since 1997, you'd think he would finally see the light as to where the engine is best situated, wouldn't you?

I still like the old GTR1's - they certainly looked vastly better than the LMPs/Roadsters. But every year I hope that Panoz will actually make some real headway, especially at Le Mans, but they seem to be going backwards at quite a rate of knots.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 17:19 (Ref:351454)   #15
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Panoz had its best years at Le Mans with the GTR-1.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:34 (Ref:351532)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
GTR-1

1997: four cars, 3 DNF, 1 DNpQ (David Price 2 cars, DAMS 2 cars)
1998: 7th (16 laps off pace), 1 DNF, 1 DNpQ.

LMP-1

1999: 7th (29 laps off pace), 11th (-13 laps).
2000: 5th (26 laps off pace), 6th (-2 laps), 8th (-10 laps), 15th (-15 laps), 1 not classified, 1 entry not accepted. *** the 15th place finisher was Brabs, Mags and Mario.
2002: 3 entries, all DNF.

So I don't think you can say that the GTR-1 was more successful than the LMP-1. I'd say that the LMP1 had reasonable success in 1999 and 2000.

Notation: when I say -x laps, I mean x laps behind the previously listed car.

Last edited by paul-collins; 6 Aug 2002 at 18:40.

-Bill James
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:34 (Ref:351656)   #17
Evil Fuzzy
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Evil Fuzzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But those 5th and 6th places in 2000 weren't the official cars, but the private Asahi team Dragon cars (the 1999 official Panoz team cars)if I remember correctly. So does that count ? I seems that the 1999 cars were the most succesfull.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:47 (Ref:351667)   #18
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Very true. The Team Dragon cars did beat the works cars, so don't count.

It also kind of shows that the GTR-1 was better at Le Mans, because it was only 16 laps behind. LMP-1 usually well over 20 laps behind.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 07:09 (Ref:352021)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
All in all, and rather sadly, Le Mans-wise it's a pretty disastrous return on the dosh for 6 years+ development of the GTR-1 and the LMP-1.

They always used to say "it takes three years to win Le Mans" - I bet Don wishes that were true in his case!
Old 7 Aug 2002, 16:56 (Ref:352400)   #20
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right there Ayse, a very poor return. You'd think it must be hurting Dons pockets by now. It's a shame though, I think most people would like to have seen them get a result. I suppose tecnically he's a 'manufacturer', but the privateer spirit is there in spades.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 18:49 (Ref:352483)   #21
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
too bad they gave up the lmp07. had they had the proper resources to devlope it it, it would have been faster than the lmp01. the only thing the lmp01 has is the 6l v8 and jans ability/willingness to drive it over the limit

Last edited by Es Nes; 7 Aug 2002 at 18:50.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 20:20 (Ref:352548)   #22
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Lets knock Don too much - he's done a lot for sportscars over the last few years - we need a few more like him. He may not acheive good results but his spirit and tenacity is what Lemans is all about.