Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:11 (Ref:353109)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche delay

Porsche look set to post-pone its return to top-line motorsport until 2005. They wanted to return in 2004 but they wouldn't be properly ready so will wait another year. They are developing a V10-Carrera GT supercar for the road, set for release next year, which is an option for their return, along with an LMP car. They are even evaluting entering F1.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:24 (Ref:353122)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much on the domain of conjectures: should Porsche not return in 2004 the probability of having Joest carrying its sportscar program with Audi (on a semi-private, or semi-works for the cynical) on through 2003 is increased.

Reinhold Joest is in close contact with Porsche and is expected to run its sportscar program. I checked this with Joest personnel in Elkhart Lake. If Porsche does not enter next year, an extension of the deal with Audi is very likely, as Audi is keen to keep the cars racing (but not under a factory-finance scheme).

And, if Joest keeps some R8s under its wings, what would the other teams do? This move significantly reduces the number of R8 chassis available to other potential customers, as Goh, Konrad and, less probably, Rahal and Prost (is there any hint of truth on the gossips about this latter?).
Old 8 Aug 2002, 15:24 (Ref:353164)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is a shame. I would love to see Porsche back in Sportscar (& Le Mans of course).

Muzza, I wonder if your right. It makes sense.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 17:17 (Ref:353222)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was the Joest-Bentley rumour just something a member here made up, or was it a real rumour gone south? That would certainly free up some R8s for sale...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:03 (Ref:353256)   #5
Max Throttle
Rookie

Max Throttle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the heyday of IMSA, I grew weary of seeing Porsches win everything. Now, I miss them. Endurance racing misses their presence in the top level.

I remember reading something a while back that said the Carrera GT road car actually came from a stillborn Le Mans racing project.

We need Porsche in the top classes, and others in the GT ranks!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:32 (Ref:353291)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Porsche delay

Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
They are even evaluting entering F1.

WHY?

After watching Jaguar, Toyoya and BAR, why on earth would they bother?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:48 (Ref:353303)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame Porsche will be not coming out play until 2005, it would have been nice to see them in 2004, but hay what is a years wait between friends, as for them entering F1 I have never heard anything as daft in all my life............
Old 9 Aug 2002, 13:59 (Ref:354013)   #8
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theres also a rumor Porsche would rebuilt Infiniti's IRL engine... and I also heard a rumor that some privateer (Paul belmondo and Alain Prost joint effort) might enter a modified Cayenne in Dakar...

Muzza, I wonder if your right. I think Sportscar is the best way for a Porsche return. Joest and Porsche again....!! Sounds fantastic!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 15:19 (Ref:354061)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, SFonseca and Adam Ashmore,

Reinhold Joest has been - as any skilled businessman on the verge of striking a deal - very tight-lipped about his team endeavours next year. I asked him about his plans right after the race briefing in Elkhart Lake, and he said that there were several options but he would not comment on any of them.

The day before (before the first Satirday session) I asked the same question to a member of his team, and I wondered about the possibility of representing Porsche semi-officially - or even as works team - if the Zuffenhausen marque return to racing next year.

He was rather embarrassed with the question (clearly the team is keeping everything stamped as "confidential") but at the end he admitted that yes, they are talking to Porsche, and, although being in love with the new girlfriend Audi, the passion for Porsche is still very much there...
Old 9 Aug 2002, 15:34 (Ref:354074)   #10
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muzza, My friend, You are a genious...
So Porsche and Joest joint again could be a possible.

Do you think that Joest could race with Porsche in F1, IRL or Dakar?
Old 9 Aug 2002, 16:23 (Ref:354112)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The possibility of Joest running Audis again is bad news. I think whether or not he has full works backing would again steamroll the event. I think it would be better racing for the privateers to get the R8's and Joest to run the Bentley.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 20:30 (Ref:354268)   #12
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by SFonseca
Muzza, My friend, You are a genious... So Porsche and Joest joint again could be a possible.
Do you think that Joest could race with Porsche in F1, IRL or Dakar?
Amigo Fonseca, you must be kidding when you called me genious, compadre... Assuming Porsche is going to return to mortosport (remember, nothing as been confirmed yet), a sportscar program would be the most likely landing for a partnership with Joest, because of the history of success these two companies enjoy in the category.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
The possibility of Joest running Audis again is bad news. I think whether or not he has full works backing would again steamroll the event. I think it would be better racing for the privateers to get the R8's and Joest to run the Bentley.
Hello, Mal. You brought up an interesting scenario (Joest running Bentley and privateers getting the R8s) but let me recall (and I am sorry for dumping cold water on the fire) that Bentley is still to confirm its racing program for next year. An official announcement is due in September. I am wholeheartedly expecting the Green Cars to be back on track, but Bentley may pull the plug altogether and stop the program. Assuming they don't, Apex is still the strongest candidate to run the EXP Speed 8 next year.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 20:33 (Ref:354271)   #13
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We can all dream sometimes muzza, don't spoil it for me too soon!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 20:39 (Ref:354276)   #14
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, Mal,

I can tell you that my wishes to see Bentley back next year are as strong as yours!

Cheers,
Old 9 Aug 2002, 20:48 (Ref:354287)   #15
Mal
Veteran

England
London
I was at Le Mans the last time Jaguar won, and I can tell you that the atmosphere was special - 80,000 Bits in a foreign country cheering for one team -tell me where else in the world that happens. If Bentley stand a chance of winning next year then dont miss it - it will be special