Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1893088)   #126
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I was watching the race, it struck me, I never heard (or paid attention to) the official reason for the short race format. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1893101)   #127
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
As I was watching the race, it struck me, I never heard (or paid attention to) the official reason for the short race format. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
With Champ Car, ALMS, Atlantics, Toyota Pro/Celebrity, SWC GT, and drifting all on the weekend's schedule that's how much time the ALMS was given. It wasn't by choice.

<tinfoilhat>And somehow I don't think CC would allow a "support" series race to be as long as or longer than the headliner.</tinfoilhat>
Old 16 Apr 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1893205)   #128
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske
<tinfoilhat>And somehow I don't think CC would allow a "support" series race to be as long as or longer than the headliner.</tinfoilhat>
Actually, they were just about the same length. CC switched to 1h45m timed races this year.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1894204)   #129
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's an interesting take on Long Beach...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20070415-9999-1s15grandprx.html
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:26 (Ref:1894209)   #130
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly thought provoking Does make sense though - Champ Car looks like a series in decline from this side of the pond, still seems to provide decent racing and some lovely tracks - but people want to watch star names in single seaters and Champ Car has none otehr than Bourdais!!!

ALMS at least has manufacturers - perhaps they ought to push for greater coverage ?
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1894214)   #131
porsche45
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
What is crazy is the event had so many fences blocked up with adverts- you couldn't see the track or the cars!
the Carousel at the fountain has been long my fave spot- yet you couldn' t see any cars through there, except a tiny photographer hole...
rubbish
and the ALMS had like 12 car finish the race...It looked pretty dire
good finish for the Porsche team, and wow is that Audi quite! just a whisper very cool
of course- who sounds better the Corvettes? (the lone GT1 racers) or the GT2 Panoz?
I think the Panoz has a little better sound, just a touch though.
wow the race had its moments
Heres the LBGP adddress for email comments, I sent them one with the same complaint about the banners, and other things that they've changed over the past couple of years. Make your complaints and concerns heard.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1894218)   #132
porsche45
Racer

United States
I'll try again,

'info@gpalb.com'
Old 17 Apr 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1894303)   #133
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Doesn't CART have a substantial owners stake in the Long Beach event? If that's the case, the ALMS is not going to become the feature event.

If Servia and Power keep performing well, and Rahal picks it up, we could have three more known drivers to go with Tracy and Bourdais. Hopefully Servia gets a drive again after his stint as a sub.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1894566)   #134
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Why not make it a clear double heater with a 3 hour ALMS race into the night on Saturday and CC retaining the Sunday slot
Old 18 Apr 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1894767)   #135
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I assume that the rest of Shoreline Drive is still there, but are the other roads that the old F1 circuit used still around (the 1976-1981 F1 circuit)? It looked like the road that came in onto what is now the back straight is still there.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1894913)   #136
porsche45
Racer

United States
The old F1 track went up the hill onto Ocean Blvd., then back down onto Shoreline. Due to construction that has gone on over the years, and other factors, they don't use Ocean anymore. Which really is too bad.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1894943)   #137
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Doesn't CART have a substantial owners stake in the Long Beach event? If that's the case, the ALMS is not going to become the feature event.

If Servia and Power keep performing well, and Rahal picks it up, we could have three more known drivers to go with Tracy and Bourdais. Hopefully Servia gets a drive again after his stint as a sub.
Dover Downs Entertainment LLC (DVD) is the sole owner of the LBGP. And I see no connection to Champ Car even as far as their SEC (EDGAR) form 4.

L.P.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1895012)   #138
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Dover Downs Entertainment LLC (DVD) is the sole owner of the LBGP. And I see no connection to Champ Car even as far as their SEC (EDGAR) form 4.

L.P.
http://www.dovermotorsportsinc.com/t...=200505&id=174

Quote:
Release date: May 24, 2005

Dover, Delaware

Dover Motorsports, Inc. (NYSE Symbol: DVD) announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary, Grand Prix Association of Long Beach, Inc. ("Grand Prix"), has entered into an asset purchase agreement to sell its Grand Prix of Long Beach event for $ 15 million in cash to Aquarium Asset Management, LLC, an affiliate of Champ Car World Series, LLC.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1895033)   #139
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ive been away for a few days , what exactly happened to the Audi's that they finished so far down the field ?
Old 18 Apr 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1895067)   #140
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Ive been away for a few days , what exactly happened to the Audi's that they finished so far down the field ?
Neither of them pitted during safety car period. #1 had a late splash and dash. #2 was hit by #45 Lizard at the hairpin and suffered a puncture. But even a best case finish would have been only one or two places higher.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1895088)   #141
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche45
The old F1 track went up the hill onto Ocean Blvd., then back down onto Shoreline. Due to construction that has gone on over the years, and other factors, they don't use Ocean anymore. Which really is too bad.
Is it too bad, the best config was fresh off F1 when they went on Ocean and under the Hotel, that still provides the best visual on TV, not so much in person.

The current track is OKAY, I still rather have it turn RIGHT not LEFT at the end of Shoreline.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 00:24 (Ref:1895171)   #142
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I'm pretty sure the old hairpin went because of Regazzoni's crash. And I'm guessing construction may have had something to do with the switch from Turn 1 going right to it going left. The other thing that occurs to me is that the circuit was 0.4 of a mile shorter than it is now without the old bit on Ocean or the new Fountain Complex; it may have been considered too short by 1998 (1.563-miles IIRC). I think reinstating the longer run on Shoreline, as well as the esse that used to lead onto the current back straight, would definitely improve the circuit, and overtaking on it.