Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Sep 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3770073)   #1276
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually, the YouTube notification says that the block may have been placed by either FOM or Naxus of America or both.

Maybe it is Naxus, which as far as I know is not connected (am happy to be corrected) that is the blocker. They do have form in blocking, as well as being quite litigious.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3770147)   #1277
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The YouTube block originally said FOM and now says FOM and Naxus. So in the current state there's no way of knowing which one has blocked it, but both are claiming the video contains content from them.

Naxus will probably be claiming a background song from a team in the pit lane post-race is the offence. Quite how FOM has managed to get in on it, no idea, but that's pretty low. Worth keeping in mind that whilst FOM has changed hands and we're now seeing F1 finally embrace the internet, FOM does still run around YouTube going "thats mine, that's mine, it's all mine", even on stuff that doesn't belong to them.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3770153)   #1278
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The YouTube block originally said FOM and now says FOM and Naxus. So in the current state there's no way of knowing which one has blocked it, but both are claiming the video contains content from them.

Naxus will probably be claiming a background song from a team in the pit lane post-race is the offence. Quite how FOM has managed to get in on it, no idea, but that's pretty low. Worth keeping in mind that whilst FOM has changed hands and we're now seeing F1 finally embrace the internet, FOM does still run around YouTube going "thats mine, that's mine, it's all mine", even on stuff that doesn't belong to them.
It may be existing YouTube "Content ID" system that is going on automatically. I have an electronics centric YouTube channel that I follow and the owner of that channel had a few videos flagged in a way that they were not taken down, but rather that the advertisement revenue would be diverted to someone else.

It turns out the issue was some background music he used for some slow motion video segments. The music was via a software package that he had purchased and had full rights to use the music on YouTube. But I believe the vendor of that package didn't have "exclusive" rights to the music, so someone else was having YouTube find any video with that music in it and claim infringement. I think it was all sorted out, but the automated Content ID system will find stuff that is already in YouTube's DB of copyrighted material.

Richard
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3849550)   #1279
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where C4 will show just the British GP live next season plus highlights of all the others.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/09/12/...ish-fans-2019/
I wonder how much C4 have to pay for the rights compared with have had for the present arrangement.

Its a big change from a few years ago where you could get excellent live coverage on a free to air channel only a few years ago for every GP.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:08 (Ref:3849554)   #1280
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Its a big change from a few years ago where you could get excellent live coverage on a free to air channel only a few years ago for every GP.
But better than losing it from fta completely, which is what would have otherwise happened?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3849556)   #1281
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I see where C4 will show just the British GP live next season plus highlights of all the others.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/09/12/...ish-fans-2019/
I wonder how much C4 have to pay for the rights compared with have had for the present arrangement.

And the only reason that the British GP is being shown live on a terrestrial channel is because the UK government stipulated that it had to be shown live for free. I doubt that it would be otherwise.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3849570)   #1282
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The deal is between sky and C4 and on the surface does not appear to involve Liberty. It only mentions 2019 while sky have the exclusive rights to F1 through to 2024 in the UK.
I have not seen viewer figures in recent times but C4's were much higher the last ones I saw and I would imagine that FOM would like to see lots of eyes seeing F1.

https://www.channel4.com/info/press/...o-more-viewers
Old 12 Sep 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3849576)   #1283
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The deal is between sky and C4 and on the surface does not appear to involve Liberty. It only mentions 2019 while sky have the exclusive rights to F1 through to 2024 in the UK.
I have not seen viewer figures in recent times but C4's were much higher the last ones I saw and I would imagine that FOM would like to see lots of eyes seeing F1.

https://www.channel4.com/info/press/...o-more-viewers
Whilst not directly involved, Liberty would have to approve any additional TV distribution of content.

Given the GB race is on the protected list I suspect the only way for Sky to achieve sufficient coverage (accessibility to viewers to comply) would be to give coverage away to another broadcaster.
By combining a Highlights package means they could make it viable option to auction to other channels.

Obviously including it as part of a bigger mixed package of content would make it more enticing.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3849594)   #1284
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This looks like a great deal. Many parts of most GPs are deathly dull, and the BBC cut its F1 teeth with an excellent highlights programme way before it all went "live". The Murray and James Show made its name in 45 minute tranches.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Sep 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3849600)   #1285
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whilst I do miss Brundle, I think with Steve Jones and the rest of the team the C4 product is very good. And as MM says, the short format will cut out a lot of the dross.

That said, my only gripe about highlights is the delay. It means that some races can't be watched since I have to get up too early the next day.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3849603)   #1286
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One problem with highlights is, it makes it very hard to judge the race overall. It would make the Rate the Race poll tricky.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3849605)   #1287
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Given that paywalls are inevitably a part of modern broadcasting, live British GP and highlights of all the other races, for free, isn’t too bad. I much prefer Channel 4’s coverage - I think their team is better, DC and Webber make a great double act; and, truth be told, I think Martin Brundle is too long out of the game to match their relevance - but it’s a shame to lose live races. Still, I don’t have a human right to free-to-air F1, so it is what it is.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3849606)   #1288
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, ok let's tell FOM it's a bad idea.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3849608)   #1289
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the casual, interested punter, which includes me these days, a highlights show is more than sufficient.

Anyone who wants to labour through an overbloated and tedious Live GP can pay Sky for the pleasure. Something for everyone then!
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3849612)   #1290
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
For the casual, interested punter, which includes me these days, a highlights show is more than sufficient.

Anyone who wants to labour through an overbloated and tedious Live GP can pay Sky for the pleasure. Something for everyone then!
You've just highlighted one of the problems with GPs, they can be tedious and they will continue to be tedious unless something is done to improve the racing.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3849613)   #1291
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Whilst I do miss Brundle, I think with Steve Jones and the rest of the team the C4 product is very good. And as MM says, the short format will cut out a lot of the dross.

That said, my only gripe about highlights is the delay. It means that some races can't be watched since I have to get up too early the next day.
I too think the C4 team is excellent (and would be even better with less EJ & more MW), even Suzie Wolff makes a contribution that is more than just being married to Toto!
The shame for me in losing live races to highlights (apart from Silverstone) it that it will alter my personal viewing habits. Presumably the highlights will be shown in a prime time slot which is where I could not monopolise the use of the TV over my family ('The Wife' would hit me, or just talk all the way through it). What this will mean is recording qualifying and the race, avoiding the internet and news programmes, then watching them early the following day on my own.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3849614)   #1292
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What will be interesting is whether the deal will be for a complete sky production rather than C4 continuing to produce it's own content.

From the wording of the press release, it does sound like C4 have bought a package from Sky that would include Sky presentation and commentary. I can't see a separate production.

Would this open the door to DC and Webber joining the Sky team? In a way I hope not, as the Sky team work very well together.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3849615)   #1293
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
What will be interesting is whether the deal will be for a complete sky production rather than C4 continuing to produce it's own content.

From the wording of the press release, it does sound like C4 have bought a package from Sky that would include Sky presentation and commentary. I can't see a separate production.

Would this open the door to DC and Webber joining the Sky team? In a way I hope not, as the Sky team work very well together.
Both teams, Sky and C4 work well together, I just have a slight preference for C4.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3849617)   #1294
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Got a feeling it's the same as now since Lee McKenzie has been posting about it on Twitter and Instagram.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3849632)   #1295
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Got a feeling it's the same as now since Lee McKenzie has been posting about it on Twitter and Instagram.
If the Lovely Lee McK is still involved then that's even better!
Old 12 Sep 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3849642)   #1296
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s the 40th anniversary of F1 starting to show F1 on British TV on a regular basis, with BBC’s Grand Prix. Back then it was only highlights, now with only the British GP being shown live on FTA, with the other races in highlights, we have come full circle
Old 12 Sep 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3849654)   #1297
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Some of the hysteria in the comments on her twitter feed make me glad I'm not on twitter.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3849673)   #1298
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its a much better outcome than I had feared.I find the Channel 4 presenters entirely adequate and hope they will have a chance to continue in some shape or form.Is it too much to hope that if the highlights are at a sufficiently delayed, they might feature Ted Kravitz's ramblings delivered from the pitlane after the race? I know some people dislike him, but on the odd occasion I have seen the Sky coverage at the pub, his reflections have added to my understanding of the way the race unfolded.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3850165)   #1299
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Ted's Notebook on Sky was a light chit chat all could understand.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 08:06 (Ref:3850270)   #1300
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Looks like I will be listening to Five Live's coverage a lot more in 2019

Tags
pinks