Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Nov 2017, 04:55 (Ref:3783674)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Jamie Whincup = GOAT

The Michael Schumacher of F1
The Richard Petty of NASCAR
The Valentino Rossi of Moto GP

The best of all time. Better then Peter Brock, Skaife, DJ.
Nobody will beat his 7 WORLD titles.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3783677)   #2
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Don't tell me-its school holidays again already?
Old 28 Nov 2017, 05:39 (Ref:3783684)   #3
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Don't tell me-its school holidays again already?
kindergarten.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 05:40 (Ref:3783685)   #4
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whincup is pretty good. He tends to get overlooked by fans as he is rather boring. I honestly could not remember any of Whincup's titles, apart from the latest one, it's just a haze!
Old 28 Nov 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3783717)   #5
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
The Richard Petty of NASCAR
So the second best driver then?
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3783741)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Based on the numbers, the championships won, the races won, the pole positions, Greatest Of All Time is the perfect description for Mr Whincup.

Two championship wins in a Ford.
Five championship wins in a Holden.

Four championship wins as Team Vodafone.
Three championship wins as Red Bull.

In all years bar one able to smoke his teammate(s) in the same gear.

Consistent. Reliable. Able to lift his level.

And he still has a year to go on his current contract to go get more results.

Greatest Of All Time.

Yep.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Nov 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3783762)   #7
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It helps he's in the best resourced team but he is very good, one of the best.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3783825)   #8
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I always think that referring to anything or anyone as best of ALL TIME absurd - planet has been around 4 billion years , people for 200,000 and ATC since ,oh , 1960....
Old 28 Nov 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3783831)   #9
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I'd be a lot happier to throw out the GOAT tag if he'd won a championship, or even a race, with another team
Old 28 Nov 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3783833)   #10
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I always think that referring to anything or anyone as best of ALL TIME absurd - planet has been around 4 billion years , people for 200,000 and ATC since ,oh , 1960....
Of course. But Maya and Sumerians and Middle Kingdom (Egypt) had similar pomp and circumstance. Not much left now!

Even the pyramids have been raided of their capping that originally made them nice and smooth, even so jagged pyramids showing the underlying block construction are still more impressive than the eroded mud structures of Sumerians...

No wonder emperors like building monuments to their magnificence, it's roughly the only way they can hope to be remembered post-civilisation!
Old 28 Nov 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3783835)   #11
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Yeah I'd be a lot happier to throw out the GOAT tag if he'd won a championship, or even a race, with another team
Whincup might be good, but could he win a title in a Walkinshaw sled... It's hard to say...
Old 28 Nov 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3783842)   #12
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Whincup is pretty good. He tends to get overlooked by fans as he is rather boring. I honestly could not remember any of Whincup's titles, apart from the latest one, it's just a haze!
Like Brock, it is pretty easy to look good when you have the best gear and the best support in the paddock - just sayin'
Old 28 Nov 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3783857)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Whincup opens up on ‘scary’ personal sacrifices

Gave up love and alcohol for this championship

I already thought he was the Goat. Still would be great to see him at another team
Old 29 Nov 2017, 01:44 (Ref:3783919)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Who's first then? Dale Earnhardt or Jimmie Johnson? All 3 were at prime from different eras with different rule sets, which I'd like to think that some applies to Oz drivers, too.

Always a good conversation, as to who's the greatest, but it never comes to a conclusive decision.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 01:46 (Ref:3783920)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

Good read.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3783925)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Although in the words of the great "Doc Hudson" Its just an empty cup
Old 29 Nov 2017, 03:20 (Ref:3783928)   #17
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find that " but could he do it in another team " argument a bit of a head scratcher no matter who its applied to. Part of being great in this sport is putting yourself in the right team at the right time and being surrounded by the right people. its a soft skill unto its self (along with its fair share of luck). He's beaten Lowndes and SVG as team mates to the title, both of which are top level and were strong performers at other teams.

Most importantly, and perhaps most applicable to the " other team " factor is he (and 888 as a whole) did it this year without Ludo. That is the major factor.

Could he do it in a Walkinshaw machine? Circa 2017 id say probably no one could. Circa 2007 id say yes definitely he could / would have.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 03:53 (Ref:3783930)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
I find that " but could he do it in another team " argument a bit of a head scratcher no matter who its applied to. Part of being great in this sport is putting yourself in the right team at the right time and being surrounded by the right people. its a soft skill unto its self (along with its fair share of luck). He's beaten Lowndes and SVG as team mates to the title, both of which are top level and were strong performers at other teams.

Most importantly, and perhaps most applicable to the " other team " factor is he (and 888 as a whole) did it this year without Ludo. That is the major factor.

Could he do it in a Walkinshaw machine? Circa 2017 id say probably no one could. Circa 2007 id say yes definitely he could / would have.

I guess i see someone like David reynolds who has gone to a lowly team and has lead them towards the top and place a high level of value on that.

the key people Jamie is compared against were often team owners and engineers who built quick cars, where as Jamie has been in the one team who have proven to be fast for many years,

If any of the current drivers stepped into a triple 8 car they would also be quick

that takes nothing away from Jamie, just something i would like to see him achieve
Old 29 Nov 2017, 03:59 (Ref:3783931)   #19
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
The problem there is that JW clearly hasn't been as fast without Ludo. This is probably one of his worst seasons on a performance level having only won 4 races (1 of which was gifted to him). Possibly only his poor rookie season and the year he finished 5th were worse. Of his 7 titles this is by far his least dominant. Even Bathurst was the first time in a long time that he wasn't the dominant car.

The one that was really dominant is the very team/car Ludo went to... #17.

I do think JW is one of the GOAT in this series (not in all motorsports obviously... Fangio, Clark, Senna, Schumacher... no way he's better than them), but you have to wonder how much Ludo comes into it after this season.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 04:19 (Ref:3783933)   #20
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I already thought he was the Goat. Still would be great to see him at another team
Little bit sad really isn't it. Walks away from his bride to focus on getting a 7th title. And alcohol... does JW have a bit of a weakness to alcohol?

I wonder if he'll still feel the same way regarding next years title. Plenty of drivers got that first title off their back and didn't work so hard after that (enjoyed life more) because they'd achieved want they wanted. Nico Rosberg.

I wonder if SVG beating him last year is what motivated him so much to get that 2017 title.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 04:50 (Ref:3783938)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Who's first then? Dale Earnhardt or Jimmie Johnson? All 3 were at prime from different eras with different rule sets, which I'd like to think that some applies to Oz drivers, too.

Always a good conversation, as to who's the greatest, but it never comes to a conclusive decision.
Juan Maria Traverso still lives... He was at Euro F2 in 1979 but had a lot (more than 15) titles in Argentine and Italy, in touring, rallying, and also formula racing.
Could win Turismo Carretera and TC2000 champs the same year, hardly that other driver could do the same...
With his locals, he's more popular and legendary than even Reutemann.

How appropiate that Mr Traverso played to voice for "Doc Hudson" in the Spanish neutral latino version of the movie...
Old 29 Nov 2017, 05:15 (Ref:3783941)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies if I'm not up to date with lingo but what does the GOAT acronym stand for?
Old 29 Nov 2017, 05:51 (Ref:3783943)   #23
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Numbers mean nothing really. Whincup's numbers can only be compared to other drivers at the top of their game now.

You can't match him with Lowndes at his best or Skaife, and you certainly can't compare his stats with Brock, Moffat or Geoghegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Given the opening post referenced Rossi as well, I can only assume FAS33 does indeed mean Whincup is the second best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Apologies if I'm not up to date with lingo but what does the GOAT acronym stand for?
Greatest Of All Time
Old 29 Nov 2017, 05:54 (Ref:3783944)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

Greatest Of All Time
Thanks
Old 29 Nov 2017, 06:11 (Ref:3783946)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

The ex-Fiancee Returns Serve
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House