Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2003, 18:18 (Ref:525889)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuel Strategy

OK, so if I am running an F1 car, I cannot refuel between the start of my sat qualifying run and the race. If I have built a very light car, I can run a ton of fuel for qualifying and very little ballast to make weight, which will make me very light during the race as fuel wears off. Perhaps I have enough fuel to carry my to the 2/3 distance, and my tires can last that long.

Surely this would ensure the lead for one of the quicker teams if they do this? They don't pay a penalty in qualifying... everyone must weigh in above minimum wieght. BUt if a higher % of your weight is fuel, you will be lighter during the race as this fuel is consumed...

The only stinker is that I will have to make a pitstop at the very end of the race to refuel so that I will make weight at the end... but there is a good chance that the lead will be insurmountable by then...

Could this scenario work???
Old 5 Mar 2003, 18:25 (Ref:525891)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble is that at any given time your superlight car has to comply the weigh limit. That is, you have to make sure that you car without fuel weighs 605 kg (during quals or 600 any other time).. How much fuels you add to this limit is your own business...
Old 5 Mar 2003, 18:29 (Ref:525892)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As far as I know the minimum weight is without fuel and will be checked at the end of the race too! So it won't work.

Anyway the pitstop at the end would ruin it (I reckon).

Reminds me of the water cooled brakes idea years ago.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 20:08 (Ref:525986)   #4
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its going to be exciting to see what happens for sure. But In order to qualify well, teams will have to run small amounts of fuel. I would expect the slower teams to run less fuel during qualifying. The quicker teams will be able to qualify well using more fuel, allowing greater flexibility in pit stop strategy.
Overall I would expect qualifying times to be slower than last year. If teams used very little fuel to qualify, they would have to pit very early.
I dont think any team would be able to pit on the 2nd or 3rd lap, fill up once, then complete the race. So expect teams who use little fuel while qualifying to make at least 2 stops.
Conversely, Ferrari may be able to run a moderate amount of fuel for qualifying, qualify well, then be able to use a more conventional pit stop strategy.
There could be some interesting line-ups for the race, but ultimately I think the outcomes wont be too surprising.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:40 (Ref:526059)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon there will be alot of "splash and dash" pitstops towards the end of the earlier races while teams sort out what's what with this new system...
Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:51 (Ref:526069)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
I reckon there will be alot of "splash and dash" pitstops towards the end of the earlier races while teams sort out what's what with this new system...
Really? Do you think they can't put enough fuel in? I suppose they may try a really long stint at the end and find the tyres aren't up to it.

There is (almost) no point at all in stopping within 5, or so, laps of the end. The extra weight they would have carried would not make up for even a 6s pit stop.

If this does happen, these will be the loosers!
Old 5 Mar 2003, 23:15 (Ref:526127)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The way I see it, teams will work out their pit stop strategy based on past experience for the different tracks, taking into account the time it takes to pit for fuel. The advantage of qualifying nearer the front in lighter fuel during quals but with an early stop will be a big unknown this year. On this basis, they will decide on a one or two stopper, or even a three stopper if the latter means the car will start closer to the front of the grid. It will be quite possible for Ferrari to have two different strategies for their two drivers as they have done so in the past. From experience, I suspect that Kiwi Ross will outthink the other strategists as he has so often outthunked them in the past. All this will add interest to quals as well as the first half of the races. It is possible that cars might be designed with larger fuel capacities so that they can carry a lighter fuel load during quals, come in for an early pit stop, and put more fuel in for a longer second stint. We will need Bononi to simulate all this with his computer, OK Bon?
Old 5 Mar 2003, 23:57 (Ref:526152)   #8
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
From experience, I suspect that Kiwi Ross will outthink the other strategists as he has so often outthunked them in the past.
The new rules do give an edge to the best strategists. Advantage: Ferrari. And the new rules give a bit more emphasis to driver skill. Advantage: Michael Schumacher.

Ron Dennis has for years been screwing up McLaren's strategy. They better have a good car, but all reports indicate it's a rebuilding year for Mac. Better drivers like Fisi and Jacques might rack up a few points early, before things get sorted out.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 09:24 (Ref:526415)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just picking up on an earlier remark - even with virtually no fuelthe cars will not be as quick as properly prepared qualifying cars. Qualifying set-up is totally different - stiffer to put more heat into the tyres, different downforce levels... and then there are the special engines, transmissions, radiators, exhausts which allow more weight to be carried as ballast and therefore the weight balance is completely different.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 14:28 (Ref:526625)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I suppose they may try a really long stint at the end and find the tyres aren't up to it.

That's what I was thinking... more on the tyres side. Especially if they go with a shorter first stint to try to qualify faster... Last year the Michelins tended to last quite a long time (being eroded basically into slicks by the end), so Michelin teams might be inclined to go for very long stints.. Dunno, we'll see I guess.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:05 (Ref:526650)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
We will need Bononi to simulate all this with his computer, OK Bon?
Ooops, Valve. It didn't work !

I think the top teams will put the qualifying lap as "one more lap" in the strategy game. So depending on the track they will go for a one-stop or a two-stop strategy considering the qual lap as part of the first pit stop. This way, maybe they won't get the pole quite often - as it will depend on other's strategies - but they surely will be on the first places and this will be quite an advantage.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:44 (Ref:526688)   #12
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmm, I think it will also depend on weather. In the wet, getting caught in traffic off the line is a real pain because visability can drop a bit. Also places like Monaco for overtaking... I think it'll favour the polesitters and people like Ross will have to consider this fact and weigh it up against what stage of the race they'll run heavy and how economical their driver will have to run. Second half of the year this will mean the driver will be relating a bit more fuel consumption info from his dash to his strategist with telemetry gone.

I hope it adds to the tactics and allows some surprises. It has just as much chance as not but who knows...
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.