Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 25 Feb 2004, 14:46 (Ref:885222)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fitness again

Just read Hamish Weir's post on fitness and got me thinking...

Can anyone recommend or give me details of a personal trainer ? I live in Bristol and work in Bath but I would like to pay for a trainer to help me get fit ?

At the moment my excercise consists of...

Monday - nothing
Tuesday - Gym 1hour and half. 5 a side football
wednesday - Gym or squash
Thursday - Football 5 a side
Friday - pub (oops)

Although I am very fit (used to play county standard tennis) over the years I've gained about 2 stone !

I'm 6ft tall and 14 stone I woul like to get back down to 12 stone

Help please anyone

Tiptop
Old 25 Feb 2004, 23:34 (Ref:885698)   #2
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I broke my ankle I went to University and spoke to a few of the guys doing sports fitness and psychology and they helped me out. A sports injury is a part of their course and they took me on as a project investigation. It helped them allot and helped me allot too.
Try your local Uni. If your at Uni speak to some of those guys they can help.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 09:24 (Ref:885983)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I was 11 stone . . .now Im nearer 14 . . . .not as fit . . .I think its called getting old and you metabolism slowing down . . .muscle is heavier than fat so knock of the exercise and watch your diet . . .you'll become weaker but you might hit 12st!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:06 (Ref:886350)   #4
Werewolf
Racer

Werewolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the best personal trainer is yourself .youd be better spending your hard earned on your motor racing.
dont set unrealistic goals to achieve your fitness.that is the biggest killer of any self- motovation.plan your exercise to a weekly schedule.I would recommend the first month doing basic exercises you can do around the house i.e.pushups star jumps squats etc. dont overlook the obvious.this will get the heart rate pumping and is good cardio work.After that i would move onto some running not just plodding but changing the pace from short sharp bursts to a steady pace.if tired walk a little let the heart rate settle and push on.i would recommend rest every other day the body needs to recover.you will find in no time at all your overall fitness wiil improve.if you dont like running bike work is excellent but remember to just push yourself a litle harder each time.try standing on and off a chair a half an hour and find out how tirying it can be.its all basic stuff doesnt cost anything and gets you fit
Old 27 Feb 2004, 14:13 (Ref:887367)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
good call werewolf . . .exercise is free! rest is very important, whilst I dont exercise enough, I am very active, one of my colleagues was virtually obsessed with it . . .trouble is, in overdoing it on a quest for fitness you never quire recover, make yourself weak, and fall ill . . .so a good balanced diet is everybit as important . . .even beer . . .although not half a barrell in one hit !
Old 27 Sep 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1108842)   #6
Lovlyperson
Rookie

Lovlyperson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can Help you from here!

Buy a Backbag,a Sleepingbag,a Tent and a Bustiket Carlisle retour by www.nationalexpress.com!
In Carlisle buy a tiket from Bus"AD122" and let you bring to "Birdiswald"and Tramp from there to the Eastcoast.
That may be enough to start you running in "Forest of Dean",which is close to You.
Sorry for my English.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1108922)   #7
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiptop,

I use a Guy called John Bruno in Cardiff (only 40 mins from you), he's top notch and works with alot of famous athletes http://www.johnbrunofitness.com

Tell him Dom sent you, he's a good bloke and knows his stuff and will get you on the right path for sure

Last edited by topwelshman; 27 Sep 2004 at 22:27.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 08:19 (Ref:1109119)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tiptop

As your local Uni (Bath) has large members of the GB sprint rlay team in its membership you should be OK there. I've got a friend who's a personal trainer - I'll PM you with his email.

HTH

Max
Old 28 Sep 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1109160)   #9
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have a book called "Fit for Motorsport" that is written by Dr Raj Jutley, who has competed in in rallies, including the Safari. It is written in a motorsport orientated manner, with exercises designed to improve fitness in a practical and easy way.

More info here.