Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3721896)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2017 Formula 1 fan survey

https://f1survey.motorsport.com

Pretty decent list of questions.

I'm surprised that they asked for the cost of race tickets, but not pay-per-view or online streaming.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3721902)   #2
rdchawk
Rookie

England
Hertfordshire
rdchawk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The survey obviously doesn't recognise GT racing such as Blancpain, as no option to select that as alternate race series' I watch.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3721903)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Added my comment about pay per view damaging the future of motorsport in the comments box provided
Old 27 Mar 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3721924)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad I made my views heard, although I forgot to add the end I want to see an end to the two compound rule
Old 27 Mar 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3721931)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
my add in question was about country of origin.

it starts off asking me about where im from but no special section about what viewing options are like specifically in my country.

paying to stream vs FTA is not an issue for me or even really and option in Canada.

basically the digital channel that covers F1 in canada is a pay channel and uses the SKY feed but we get no access to any of SKY's internet features, replay options, and many of their articles/video pages are geo blocked.

i cant help but feel like this survey is far too Euro centric...which is fine because that is where the majority of viewers are but with the new American owners i was hoping that some of the focus would go to addressing issues unique to this side of the pond.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3721932)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another one! Brilliant. Don't ask the fans. We always end up getting some of it.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3721942)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree that some of the questions/answers don't look very well designed.

Some sets of answers (such as other series you follow) are pretty narrow and are lacking an "other" option, so that will skew results. How you view races asks you to pick a single preference such as "live race" or "live qualifying". If I time delay (via DVR) is that "live" or should I pick "other"? When they ask about factors that influence your decision to attend, they list various "on track" factors such as entertainment, other things to do in the area, etc. but ignore ticket cost as a factor in attending or not. Granted, they do ask a question about what you think are appropriate ticket prices.

Overall very little talk about costs and the impacts of the current funding structure on the sport (payments to legacy teams, etc.). One question does include an answer about the importance of cost controls, but that was it. I tend to think surveys like this probably don't really do much other than confirm things like "racing fans like racing". I am not sure what conclusions can be reached from them given their simple and sometimes flawed designs.

Richard
Old 27 Mar 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3721963)   #8
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard, a lot of the questions, and the options on how to respond, are often designed to produce the answers that the surveyors want to see.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3722119)   #9
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Richard, a lot of the questions, and the options on how to respond, are often designed to produce the answers that the surveyors want to see.
I agree, but is it by design or by accident. If by design, why would this media group care to twist the results/message? They can do that with the trouble of a poll. My best guess is they are just winging it and could have done better.

Richard
Old 28 Mar 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3722122)   #10
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Added my comment about pay per view damaging the future of motorsport in the comments box provided
So did I.
I also used the box to show a few of my concerns about the questions that were asked, or better not asked.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3722224)   #11
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I often start on these surveys but usually become so angered by the obviously poor questions or bias that I don't complete them however I finished this one so it must have been better than most.

At one time I worked on survey software so perhaps I am hyper-sensistive, I am also a grumpy old git!
Old 28 Mar 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3722229)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These fan surveys are all a bunch of hooey and claptrap. It's always filled with leading questions followed with leading answers to confirm what they want to hear just so they can say they listen to the fans.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 22:03 (Ref:3722285)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
These fan surveys are all a bunch of hooey and claptrap. It's always filled with leading questions followed with leading answers to confirm what they want to hear just so they can say they listen to the fans.
And your inbox suddenly increases in traffic with offers for all the things you 'liked' or were 'considering' on the survey
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Mar 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3722350)   #14
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And your inbox suddenly increases in traffic with offers for all the things you 'liked' or were 'considering' on the survey
Thats why I didn't give them a valid email address, surely no one would be so foolish .
Old 29 Mar 2017, 07:08 (Ref:3722358)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They are trying to largely get your feedback about F1, not your habits of watching other things, there was no link to off road or other things, but I just clicked other Simple really.
A decent survey with the choice to really hit the right opinions. I doubt it has any effect but when you realise the website is owned by he group that runs F1 they might take it more seriously than you think
Old 29 Mar 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3722373)   #16
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Just completed. Made my point regarding Pay TV. F1 should be on FTA!

The survey questions do get a little interesting towards the end. Hope they listen to us. I'm hoping. I'm praying. Ok, ok.., I'm dreaming.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3722433)   #17
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Several questions were about serious criticism. For example, the one about DRS.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3722558)   #18
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah you can really see where they were pushing you. Slightly annoying how euro/U.K. Centric it was in that it didn't really start off by asking what viewing options were available, and if you even had a "local" race before leaping into questions about what your viewing preference is and how many races you have attended.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3722568)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I started to fill it in but some questions I didn't have an answer to, and it wouldn't let me do that. So I closed it.

First year university psychology students are taught questionnaire design and the pitfalls of leading the test subject. All it does is proves your own bias
Old 26 May 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3736201)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://f1survey.motorsport.com/

link to d/load the pdf of the survey results/summary.
Old 27 May 2017, 03:56 (Ref:3736282)   #21
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
A brief summary below for those who don't want to read the 50 page report.

PRESS RELEASE

Formula 1 global fan survey results revealed at Monaco Grand Prix
• Biggest marketing research project ever conducted in motorsport
• Fans around the world believe Formula 1 is moving in the right direction
• FIA’s Secretary General for Motor Sport Peter Bayer takes part in Motorsport Network presentation

May 26th, 2017, Monaco – Fans of Formula 1 across the globe are optimistic about the future of the sport according to the findings from Motorsport Network’s Global Fan Survey – the largest ever conducted in the sport.

Launched at the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix in March, the Global Fan Survey was conducted by Motorsport Network in conjunction with sports research experts Nielsen Sports – part of Nielsen Holdings; the global information, data, and measurement experts.

Motorsport Network is the world’s biggest motorsport and automotive media network – featuring major titles including Motorsport.com, Autosport.com and Motor1.com.

Conducted in 15 languages and receiving fan feedback from 194 countries, the 2017 survey had 215,872 participants – a sample set even larger than the previous 2015 Motorsport Network/Grand Prix Drivers’ Association survey.

The contribution made by the respondents represents more than 25,000 hours of fan feedback to create the biggest motorsport marketing research project ever conducted, and one of the biggest sports surveys of all time.

The survey findings were revealed at the Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco today with Federation Internationale de l'Automobile Secretary General for Motor Sport, Peter Bayer, taking part.

More than 19 million data points across all aspects of Formula 1 were recorded in the 2017 survey including the size and demographics of the sport’s audience, fan disposition and attitudes towards the sport, their affinity for races, teams, drivers and their consumption of racing as remote and live audiences.

“This has been a phenomenal exercise – carried out in less than 12 weeks – to generate a highly valuable data resource of exactly what fans around the world think about our sport,” said Motorsport Network Chairman, Zak Brown.

“The insights it offers will be the intelligence that can drive Formula 1 forward and we have to thank the legion of fans who have offered us their invaluable opinion.”

Formula 1 enters a period of massive change in 2017 with new technical regulations in force and a changing of the guard in the sport’s management – with US-owned mass-media giant Liberty Media taking commercial control.

Findings from the Motorsport Network Global Fan Survey indicate fans are pleased with the direction the sport is taking. Compared to the 2015 survey, there was a 44 per cent increase in fan belief that Formula 1 is ‘the pinnacle of motorsport’, and a 43 per cent improvement in the statement that the sport fields ‘the best drivers’.

“Formula 1 entered a period of great change in 2017 and it appears the fans believe the steps taken by the FIA are moving the sport in the right direction, and they are also encouraged by F1’s new owners, Liberty Media. These research results and the sentiment of the fans mirror our belief here at Motorsport Network,” Global Editor-in-Chief, Charles Bradley said.

“As the world’s biggest motorsport media network, we feel a sense of responsibility to help the sport in any way we can and we believe conducting research like this will certainly play a role in helping Formula 1 to reach even greater heights.”

Data from the 2017 survey indicates the average age of the Formula 1 fan is becoming younger and more diverse, with more female respondents than ever before. However, the declining availability of free-to-air television coverage is having an impact – fewer fans are watching the sport regularly compared to the 2015 survey.

The survey results show Lewis Hamilton’s popularity has doubled since 2015; he now commands a level of global fan support not seen since that enjoyed by the great Michael Schumacher. Hamilton was voted as the most popular driver in Formula 1 – beating Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen.

Ferrari has strengthened its position as the world’s favourite F1 team in the latest survey, with nearly one-third of the global fanbase ranking it at #1. Ferrari’s support is almost double that of its nearest competitor – the fast-rising Mercedes AMG F1 team.

“Nielsen Sports is delighted to once again have worked with Motorsport Network in engaging with Formula 1 global fan base and providing them with a platform to have their views heard,” said Nigel Geach, Senior Vice President, Motorsport, Nielsen Sports.

“Building on our work we started back in 2010; the response has once again been overwhelming. The wealth of data collected, provides a rich and invaluable source of information for the whole of Formula 1 to consider and analyse.

“It is certainly one of the biggest surveys we’ve ever done in sport and undoubtedly the largest ever undertaken for any form of motorsport.”

Other “fast facts” from the 2017 survey include:

• Respondents to the 2017 survey spent $8.8m on F1 merchandise in 2016
• 6,249 Finns took part - nearly all, bar 399, voted for Kimi Raikkonen or Valtteri Bottas as their favourite driver
• Mercedes AMG F1 is the most popular team in the UK, but not in its 'home' market of Germany
• 25 per cent of 16-34 year olds want to watch F1 live streaming, via laptop or mobile; while only 7 per cent of 45+ year olds do
• Less than 0.5 per cent of fans want to watch in highlights-only format
• Over two thirds of fans completed the survey on mobile or tablet
• Max Verstappen is more popular among 45+ age group than 16-24 year olds
• Only nine recognised United Nations countries weren’t represented in the survey - South Sudan, Palau, Marshall Islands, Sao Tome & Principe, Samoa, Vanuatu, Nauru, Aruba & Equatorial Guinea
• Nearly two thirds of all respondents put Monaco, Monza, Spa-Francorchamps and Silverstone in their list of five essential Grands Prix
• The percentage of fans describing Formula 1 as ‘exciting’ nearly tripled between 2015 to 2017

– Ends –
Old 27 May 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3736396)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
well the 50 page report is mainly pictures, charts, and graphs...far less to read the that summary lol!
Old 27 May 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3736494)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm sure this people power should work for the ready to listen Liberty
Old 28 May 2017, 06:21 (Ref:3736561)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They'll only pay attention to the data that works in their favor, and ignore anything that requires any type of change.
Old 28 May 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3736979)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
They'll only pay attention to the data that works in their favor, and ignore anything that requires any type of change.

Why would you doubt Liberty? They certainly care more about the sport than Mr E did