Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Dec 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1793480)   #1
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Information on a very obscure driver!

This is a real shot in the dark as you will see.

I have been told that my paternal grandfather was a racing driver or took part in a few races (no idea what type of racing or where), would have been late 1920s - 1930s. I believe his name was Rex Franklyn-Stokes, but not 100% sure even about that! He left my grandmother when my father was about 18 months old and apart from the description of him as a bit of a 'cad' (no really!), that is all I know about him. If anyone can suggest where I might go looking for motor-racing information about him or could shed some light I would be very interested. (As both my father and grandmother are long gone, that really is all the information I have...)

Cheers guys, you like a challenge don't you!
Old 18 Dec 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1793575)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a race driver and a Cad, you couldn't make it up !

good luck, my family has an equally shady past, there must be some period publications that may be able to unearth something? have you tried that avenue ?
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1793828)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best I can come up with is an FV Stokes who raced an Itala and a Calthorpe at Brooklands in 1914. He doesn't seem to be double-barrelled and he's a bit early, but you never know...
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1793843)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the Family Tree thing advertised on T.V?
Old 19 Dec 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1794366)   #5
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your father's birth certificate would give his father's correct name
Old 19 Dec 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1794498)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
There are a lot of family history resources on the net, although not all of them are free-of-charge. Might be worth trying your local library though, as many have subscriptions to things like Ancestry.com, which is an online family history database giving access to things like the 1841-1901 Censuses, and indexes to births, marriages and deaths. It's a subscription service, but available free, or for minimal charges in a lot of libraries. I'm not at work this week, or I'd be able to have a look for you.

You should also be able to get good advice on how to track him down, although maybe not so much on finding out about his motor racing activities.

If you can track down when and where he was born, then maybe the local library in that area can help- bigger libraries with local history collections often have an archive of the local paper on microfilm, and if he raced, it might have been reported in the local press..
Old 20 Dec 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1795312)   #7
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here's a thought:

Pick up a copy of MotorSport magazine, and via that try to contact Bill Boddy.

What that man doesn't know about the period you're looking into could indeed be written on the back of a postage stamp.