Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 14 Dec 2007, 05:57 (Ref:2088455)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pedal mounts

What are the advantage or disadvantage of where to mount pedals?

Floor mount vs. Firewall mount?

Specifically here
the application is a Volvo Amazon,
so orginal has firewall mounted pedals.

should i change the set up?
or keep it firewall mounted with Tilton set up?
or go the triple pedals on the floor.?
Old 14 Dec 2007, 07:41 (Ref:2088488)   #2
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
chevy34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only real reason I know for the floor mounted pedal box is to lower the centre of gravity.
I have done a few cars with the floor mount deal and they are are mongral to do anything to eg: master cylinder changes. They also can be pain to get the mounting stiff you will also find you have to mount the seat a long way back (which is a good thing)
If you do a firewall mount you will have to spend a bit of time strengthing the fire wall to stop it flexing.
I like the over hung tilton/AP setups with the master cylinders above your feet you can make a nice stiff simple mount from the roll cage dash bar to the fire wall they are easyish to work on.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 08:53 (Ref:2088533)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
To me floor mounted pedals "feel" wrong in operation. When pushing the pedals, especially the clutch, because of the fulcrum position it feels alien. I cant think of many road cars that have them apart from the old VW beetle and Porkies. I suppose its what you get used to but the floor mount is easier to fit if you have the room. My preference is with cylinders above.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Dec 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2088662)   #4
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont get on with Floor mounts, for some reason they make a ankles hurt, Im with Gordon they do feel wrong, Did the Morris Minor have floor mounted pedals, certainly theres a master cyl under the seat, Most if not all 30s & 40s cars with traditional chassis tend to have floor mounts as well
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:27 (Ref:2088929)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I've just changed my car from "underslung" to floor mounted pedals. The main reason was that I could lower and lighten the firewall and panelwork above my feet to save weight and give more space for my engine air intake. It also has the benefit of lowering the centre of gravity a bit. That said, I tried my friend's floor mounted set and hated to "feel" of the pedals and the way they moved my ankles. It seemed to be a problem of the pedals being quite short and the pivots being too far forward (towards me). So on mine I've put a "let in" in the floor and used quite long pedals. I've mounted them with the pivots near the bulkhead so the arc of the pedal face is slightly upward as I press them. This seems to make them feel much more like my underslung pedals. I'm hopeful I won't even notice the difference when I start racing with them. :-)
Old 14 Dec 2007, 19:55 (Ref:2089006)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes the Moggie had floor mount as did loads of the old cars of that era . The difference was they were designed about right as regards ankle problems.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Dec 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2089132)   #7
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Single seaters are floor mount, so they are king of race cars, so well, it must be better!!
stiffer, and lower, and more hard to work on!
Old 15 Dec 2007, 00:28 (Ref:2089227)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks chapos
i am still considering packing and eas of work
points go for firewall mount so far