Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Dec 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3483485)   #26
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Maybe I dreamed this, but wasn't there a Group C car with a Lamborghini engine at some point?
Yeah but they never showed up at LM, don't think even entered

Wish they had entered the Diablo for GTS in early 2000's

Last edited by Deleted; 9 Dec 2014 at 18:25.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3483486)   #27
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Can't see it myself, I just can't imagine that there's sufficient ROI to make it worthwhile for them at the moment, due to the huge investments involved.

GTE, sure, and P2 if they have customers and can turn a near-profit, but I don't see that they would get enough out of P1.
I agree with this.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3483517)   #28
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They've had dozens of years to field out GT Lamborghinis at LM and haven't done so (in official capacity, and the Reiter Engineering tunings run by other privateers don't really count). And you don't get particularly great visibility out of running LMGTE, especially today with more factories upper in hierarchy.

If they do come up with LMP at some point, could Dallara help with the chassis? Regarding the new Huracan

Quote:
With the new Huracán LP620-2 Super Trofeo the historic partnership between the brand founded by Ferruccio Lamborghini back in 1963 and Gian Paolo Dallara, now becomes even closer. The same Dallara was among the first engineers who worked on Lamborghini cars and had a key role in the development of the legendary Miura.

"For Dallara Engineering, it has been very rewarding to be involved in the aerodynamic and body development of a high performance car such as the Huracán Super Trofeo. From my personal point of view it has been for me a kind of 'homecoming'," said Giampaolo Dallara, "50 years ago, Lamborghini gave me the opportunity to challenge myself in ambitious and successful projects, and this new collaboration allows me to feel part of a company in which I have experienced moments of intense personal and professional achievement."
Old 9 Dec 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3483547)   #29
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
GTE I'd say is less of a 'visibility' thing and more of a brand strengthening tied into existing owners, dealers and car clubs. However, if the typical Lamborghini owner isn't looking for this, then I'd agree that this wouldn't seem worthwhile, but maybe they're being told otherwise by their marketing department? They should have gathered a bit of info from their SRO participation (through Reiter) over the years, and clearly they've decided a GT3 car makes sense, although that may be purely as a for profit programme.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 23:25 (Ref:3483558)   #30
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I dont read too much into their 'history'. They want to race at LM and they should. There shouldnt be an issue of seeing it happen by going off their previous attempts. It doesnt matter if we think it fits their image. They'll decide that. Not many of us here drive Lamborghini's, so what do the ones who hold stakes in the company feel? Thats who will decide. As a supercar brand, I think competing at a high level is a good showcase for them. Ferrari do F1, but also GTE and GT3. I dont think F1 is even in their mind. GT3 is coming from the factory next year. Do they 'follow' Ferrari, or do they go above them in lmp? I think the latter would give instant recognition and PR.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 23:27 (Ref:3483559)   #31
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I dont read too much into their 'history'. They want to race at LM and they should.
Yeah never understood this pov that because they haven't done it before they shouldn't do it now.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 03:20 (Ref:3483615)   #32
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Maybe the lack of racing heritage is an issue they want to put right? At the end of the day it is all part of the VW groups overall strategy.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3483628)   #33
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
They haven't needed racing image in the past though and their line up of a bit ridiculous supercars not always based on performance alone (look at the latest Aventador model, Venemo) haven't changed much.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3483692)   #34
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Don't always rely on the past to judge what they want to do in the future.

Lamborghini sell a fraction of the cars Ferrari do and have no racing heritage. There are more and more low volume brands coming in with supercars, such as Pagan, McLaren etc. Maybe VAG want to develop Lamborghini into. A more direct rival to Ferrari rather than as a born again tractor company making 'ridiculous' cars.

It is also no secret that VAG have been trying to acquire Ferrari and perhaps they have abandoned that and decided to move Lamborghini into a more direct rival.

Speculation I know but my point is that history is not the only barometer of what they may do in the future.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3483815)   #35
Deleted
Veteran

I don't really recall many questioning why Aston Martin chose P1 five years ago, even though they are in the same league as Lambo with pricey glamour sports cars in the market but nothing else. AMR was also running with shoestring budget and unfavored fuel

Last edited by Deleted; 10 Dec 2014 at 21:04.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3483851)   #36
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
At least they have history in prototypes on their side. It shouldnt make a difference imo. They all start somewhere.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 02:40 (Ref:3483922)   #37
ATCT
Rookie

ATCT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the US the Trofeo Series has been doing very well, plus the World Challenge car. There will be a Lamborgini for 2016 in Tudor.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3484094)   #38
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCT View Post
In the US the Trofeo Series has been doing very well, plus the World Challenge car. There will be a Lamborgini for 2016 in Tudor.
Welcome to the forum! Will that 2016 car be a GT or P car?
Old 11 Dec 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3484170)   #39
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Hurucan. Can't remember where, though it's been mentioned on the board. IIRC they were wanting to enter a GTDesque GT3 near the end of 2015. I think Maelochs and I were speculating it would be to showcase how the Hurucan fairs in the lowest TUSC class prior to the class adopting full GT3 regs.

Edit, complete with link to s365 story: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...139149&page=11

Last edited by seanyb505; 11 Dec 2014 at 19:18.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3484439)   #40
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
@24hoursoflemans has been tweeting pics of Lamborghinis at Le Mans. Not a coincidence, surely?
Old 12 Dec 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3484492)   #41
Deleted
Veteran

Le Mans dot org have also re-posted old Lambo articles. But then again they often just put out random things with zero relevance anyway
Old 12 Dec 2014, 20:30 (Ref:3484496)   #42
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep I find their media output to be very speculative. How connected the web/social team are to the key people at the ACO I'm not sure.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 04:49 (Ref:3484593)   #43
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Fillon once spilled out Toyota in an interview way before Toyota had announced anything at all, so that culture is deeply rooted in ACO...

But still I don't think the tweeting has any connection. They have hyped up even less meaningless rumors previously.

Last edited by deggis; 13 Dec 2014 at 05:11.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 05:04 (Ref:3484596)   #44
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would like to see Lambo buy a chassis from Audi or Porsche and put a V10 in it.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 07:13 (Ref:3484601)   #45
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
I would like to see Lambo buy a chassis from Audi or Porsche and put a V10 in it.
And what then, call it Lamborghini R18 LMP1?

That'd be DP bodywork logic but without the bodywork. So P2 rebranding
Old 13 Dec 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3484615)   #46
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could do a Bentley.

Audi or Porsche LMP1 underneath with a different body and a Audi or Porsche engine with Lamborghini badge.

I guess Subaru could do the same with a Toyota.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3484618)   #47
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
How about convincing the Volkswagen Group to make a common LMP1 chassis so that all four marques can race.

All they need is add manufacturer-specific bodywork, and you got Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Porsche racing together as they share the chassis tub cost.

Of course, it wouldn't work!
Old 13 Dec 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3484627)   #48
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are we expecting to see G-Drive Lamborghini's in LMP2 next year. G-Drive have previously mentioned that they will be using a new engine in LMP2 from a 'prestige' car manufacturer?

Lambo mention Le Mans, possibly LMP1, but they might use LMP2 as a stepping stone.

Im just putting two and two together. Could be a wild guess, but if i'm right, then, you heard it here first!!
Old 13 Dec 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3484633)   #49
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post
Im just putting two and two together. Could be a wild guess, but if i'm right, then, you heard it here first!!
Not really, it's been suggested couple of times already
Old 13 Dec 2014, 10:17 (Ref:3484639)   #50
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
So - have we answered the question about which engine Lamborghini would use for a P2 yet?

The V10 from the Gallardo has two cylinders and .2 litres of capacity too many to comply with the current P2-regs.