Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 23 Aug 2003, 21:13 (Ref:696826)   #1
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Help Help Help!!!!!!!

I've just been sorting out my eqiptment for my race on Monday and ic ant find my Rotax engine card!!!!!!!!! I know it is soemwhere and i was looking in the garage at night time and i'm sure (or hope!)i'll find it but what happens if i cant!? What can i do?

Thanks

HELP!!!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 00:23 (Ref:696978)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ummm do you really need it ??

sorry im not much help but I have no idea what this "card" is or what it is for ???

either way if you really need it I hope you find it Speedy.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:697282)   #3
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the engine card which has the serial number and most important the seal number and engine history on it and is needed for scrutineering, however i have just found it in dads car boot! Phew!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 00:37 (Ref:697845)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well done

Im not sure if we use anything like that over here in Australia , certainly didnt when I was running clubmans anyway , maybe in Rotax they do ???
Old 25 Aug 2003, 18:27 (Ref:698516)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Got to the circuit, but went out of the first two heats with mechanical problems, the engine sounded well rough and well bad vibrations! Looked at the engine and there was metal sharpenings everywhere! Two people int he paddock said it's a disintigrated clutch and it had happened to them, i hope thats all it is...
Old 25 Aug 2003, 22:38 (Ref:698770)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
ohhhhh , nasty , bad luck speedy I guess thats a fairly inexpensive repair (well compared to a whole engine) but metal shavings everywhere doesnt sound good does it.

Hope its not as sinister as it sounds.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:35 (Ref:699512)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
So do i! If it is just the clutch it should be repaired for about £40 hopefully, i just hope it is just the clutch where the metal has come from...
Old 2 Sep 2003, 11:32 (Ref:705543)   #8
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it the balance gears? Ours went a few months ago with a lot of rattling!
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:49 (Ref:705743)   #9
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
How much did the repair job cost?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:705764)   #10
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh my gawd Speedy! - hope it isn't the same problem I had with me DFV - that cost me just over £16,000 to repair!
(and karting seemed so expensive at the time..........)
Old 2 Sep 2003, 19:48 (Ref:706010)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did exactly the same with my engine card - turned out i'd left it at scrutineering!!!
also the metal shavings - we had the same prob lem on my mates, the clutch thrust plates actually snapped - I thinbk he may have had his chain too tight or the engine managed to move fwd.

btw I have now misplaced my licence....
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:58 (Ref:706094)   #12
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
That could be what has happened. I'm a bit embarased to say this but the race before my engine sounded really bad and whatever that did happen, happened, my chain came off so between races my dad losened the engine to put the chain back on and then adjusted it moving the engine a bit further forward and tightened it back up, perhaps it wasn't tight enough and moved forward tearing the clutch thrust plates. We're going to take the clutch out at the weekend 9thinking about taking it to the cinema....) and see if we can find the problem and what exactly has been damaged so we can order new parts.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:07 (Ref:706107)   #13
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently it ain't the balance gears, I thought the later engines had metal ones but they still have nylon

Did you check your sprocket was in line?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:38 (Ref:706150)   #14
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I'm not good with mechanics. I'll have to check with dad or my mechanic
Old 21 Sep 2003, 16:00 (Ref:725641)   #15
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I have had my mechanic around and we have run the engine and nothing is wrong with it : I took it to an airfield today and ran it and it was still very noisy but it occured to me that we had put gum gum around the end of the exhaust where it meets the engine to increase the preasure, and my mechanic said that would make it sound different. Basically it had changed from the typical 2/ Rotax zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise to a very angry sounding grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise and it still felt a little vibrationy, but everything is fine : (Note we were driving the kart on a dusty concrete surface so the vibrations could have been wheel spin as it got in to a big wiggle when accelerating a few times)

Does it sound normal?

Last edited by speedy king; 21 Sep 2003 at 16:02.