Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Jul 2002, 21:24 (Ref:328345)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funniest Marshaling Moment

What's yours. The more embarrising the better
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:40 (Ref:328566)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Lakeside, Oulton Park at a BSB meeting last year. In a lull between practice sessions, Kaybee & her fellow flag marshal were seen slowly walking along the grass, him in a sort of semi-crouch & her holding the white flag out.

Then we saw the cygnet they were trying to catch!
Old 7 Jul 2002, 13:29 (Ref:328627)   #3
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It actually happened on Raceday between the second Superbike race and the Superstock race.

My funniest moment was earlier the same day, when after warnings from one of my fellow marshals, to make sure I didn't trip over the cables lying on the long grass when I attended an incident.

We duly had an incident and set off to aid the rider, unfortunately, my fellow marshal fell full length having lost his footing - so he claims - down a rabbit hole. I couldn't move for laughing.

However, although he didn't witness it, he had the last laugh because a week later I tripped up with a fire extinguisher - but I did have the sense to do it behind the barrier.

Last edited by KayBee; 7 Jul 2002 at 13:32.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 13:47 (Ref:328633)   #4
cdn girl
Rookie

cdn girl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't had a real embarassing moment yet but I'm sure it will happen probably sooner than later.But I will pass along my boyfriends moment.At a Canadian superbike race a few years back(he was a newbie at the time)he had to go pick up a bike after an incident and when he picked it up he hit the horn button my mistake and guess what it went off in front of a few hundred laughing fans.It spooked him so much he dropped the bike and had to pick it up again before he could move it to a safe place.It hasn't happened since and he can laugh about it now.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 15:08 (Ref:328704)   #5
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so much an incident laugh, but funny at the time.
Driving round to post at Oulton park , i took the long circuit as i had never been down there, was going hell for leather, well as hell for leather that you can do in a van,probably hit 70, when i rounded the bend only to find the C4 people doing their interview bits, they all turned round to see what on earth this deisel van was doing, i`m sure a few expletives came my way too. ( they were on the bank ) i must add, and not track side, but it made me laugh all the same...My son who was with me wanted to go around again, but i couldn`t bring myself to pi** them off again..
........... ..............
Old 7 Jul 2002, 15:48 (Ref:328738)   #6
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the Phillip Island V8 Supercars meeting, I had to work a point one out.

We had a bunny hop out on track between sessions, just as the track cam hot and cars left the pit lane. Bunny was blind and deaf, and in my sector, so being bereft of "bunnies on track" flags I hung a debris flag.

And of course, the law of fauna on tack states that it will get splattered by the first car through. And low and behold this poor bunny got hit at more than 200KMH.

I was then wondering what it was that nailed me in the face as I went to put the flag away.... Didnt worry, thinking it just a stone.... Unfortunately, twas bunny guts...And it ran down my overalls and down the front of my shirt....When I realised what it was, the guys at the next point got to see the fastest ever overalls remove of all time.....
Old 7 Jul 2002, 15:54 (Ref:328742)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by rick vaux
Driving round to post at Oulton park , i took the long circuit as i had never been down there, was going hell for leather, well as hell for leather that you can do in a van,probably hit 70
Naughty.......forgot the 40mph limit, did we?
Old 7 Jul 2002, 20:31 (Ref:328944)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Whilst clambering back over a tyre wall, my radio, which was clipped to my top pocket, fell down into the tyres.

There is allegedly a photo somewhere of just my bum and legs waving out the top of the tyres as I dangled trying to grab the blasted thing by the aerial!
Old 7 Jul 2002, 20:31 (Ref:328945)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A frog jumped out of my crotch at the BTCC 2001
Old 8 Jul 2002, 08:30 (Ref:329176)   #10
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only had 3 meetings so far, but by far the most embarassing was being dragged backwards over the tyre barriers at Quarry at Castle Combe in front of hundreds of people. My probans are too clean apparently!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 16:40 (Ref:329523)   #11
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
FIA World Touring Cars at Donington.

A Bit short on the Saturday, so I was dispatched to the Old Hairpin to act as Incident Officer (YUK). Get there to find a couple of trainees with very few meetings between them and no training sessions. So I decide to give an impromptu Training session on checking the bottles (like you would).
I explain about the gauges, the hoses etc, then flip the bottle over to unsettle the powder..... As I hoisted it up, the pin comes out, the bottles weight settles on the handle and I am left standing there in a beautiful snowstorm effect.....
Without hesitating I added "And of course, always keep a firm hand on the pin to ensure it doesnt fall out".

I asked to do a different post on Sunday...
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:04 (Ref:329578)   #12
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1994 DTM meeting at Donington, I'm in the pitlane Mel and I were ogoling(!) Manuel Reuter - he's cute without too many clothes on honest - and I have this yellow patch on the btm of my overalls (they ripped on the banking the previous year and too stingy to by new ones) which says NO PARKING AT ANYTIME, anyway we turn round when there are a load of germans laughing to find german telly foucusing on my BUM now there ae a few people who will know me from this discription and can well and truly believe they were using me as a camera angle but my mum did say she saw it on the WIDESCREEN TV the had near redgate!! I really did'nt think it was that bad!!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 22:06 (Ref:329811)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Arrived a bit early on circuit, so got roped into driving the van to drop off the bottles around the circuit. Several other marshals are roped in to help, so I grabbed the driving seat and we set off... So we've this rather knackered van with a LOAD of bottles and marshals in it, and we set off.

D4, first stop, drop off powder, foam, etc. and all is well.

D5, drop off powder, foam, drive off and Pat falls out the back of the van. Shouts, swearing, brakes, Pat gets back in the van.

D10, drop off powder, foam, all bundle back into van, someone (could have been Pat but he denies it) sits on a powder and OOOPS, no pin! So now the van is like "The Ever Popular Marshals Snow Dome". And it's one of these bottles with an iffy valve. It keeps spitting powder when anyone goes near it. Quick in-van conference and JH comes up with the brilliant idea... "Let's just fling it out on the bank and the I/O at D10 can deal with it!!!!"

So it's thrown up on the bank (still p*ssing powder now and again) and we all bundle into the van. Pat does not fall out this time!

Driving away and the thought occurs to me... "Who's out on D10 today as IO?" and all I hear from the back of the van is JH going "Ahh.... bugger!"

Apparently every time he went near it for the rest of the day it p*ssed a little more powder on him.

Last edited by MagnetON; 8 Jul 2002 at 22:11.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 22:10 (Ref:329815)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Neil, your story prompts me to tell another - it's not actually MY story although I was there - but the IO who's story it is isn't online so I hope she'll forgive me for stealing it.

So there we are - 3 little bike novice marshals (well maybe not so little). 2 of us have been doing cars, so we're more or less ok with the basics of the anatomy of a fire extinguisher.

The other guy has never marshalled before. Our IO diligently explains the safety rules and then moves on to the extinguisher and gives a superb 10 minute session on extinguisher operation and testing.

Grand!

Conversation then ensues about what everyone does for a living. 3rd marshal is asked what he does. "I'm a fireman"

DOH!

(he couldn't fault her extinguisher lecture though so all's well that ends well! )

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 8 Jul 2002 at 22:12.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 14:58 (Ref:330245)   #15
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MagnetON said:

Quote:
A frog jumped out of my crotch at the BTCC 2001

WTF?
Old 9 Jul 2002, 15:04 (Ref:330250)   #16
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Do you REALLY want to know?
Old 9 Jul 2002, 18:59 (Ref:330423)   #17
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It DID jump out of his crotch!!!!

I was there, and I saw it, and I said "WTF?" !!
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:33 (Ref:330459)   #18
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually, I think there was a TV crew there at the time aswell and they also said "WTF" In fact all of Ireland said "WTF"
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:40 (Ref:330462)   #19
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Shinners is right - please see below:

Quote:
Originally said by everybody in Ireland when a frog jumped out of MagnetON's crotch

WTF?
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:42 (Ref:330468)   #20
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it even made News Headlines, even Anne Doyle said "WTF?"
Old 9 Jul 2002, 22:04 (Ref:330580)   #21
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep,

I think we should be told!
Old 9 Jul 2002, 22:13 (Ref:330591)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
I was lying on the banking at the Performance Driving Centre, well the Portakabin that says it's the PDC. And a frog jumped out from my crotch and proceeded to hop up the bank in a sproinging motion.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 03:47 (Ref:330710)   #23
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hell, even this "browsing-around-non-flaggie-type" said wtf?

But you know big-burly-flag-waving-Irish-laddie (who lives far away so I can make fun of you safely), you STILL haven't fullfilled the dying need of all of us of WHY an amphibian was in your crotch in the first place! I'll have to ask EP if you don't fess up.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 07:13 (Ref:330767)   #24
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, so did this Aussie "big-burly-flag-waving-type"

WTF? In a thick Australian Accent.....
Old 10 Jul 2002, 08:21 (Ref:330822)   #25
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MagnetON
I was lying on the banking at the Performance Driving Centre, well the Portakabin that says it's the PDC. And a frog jumped out from my crotch and proceeded to hop up the bank in a sproinging motion.
It think the question is..... HTF did it get there in the first place?