Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2001, 07:16 (Ref:67144)   #1
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I am really looking forward to the GP this week which is the only race Australian's are sure to see a GP live. Now, at the start of the season, I am feeling brave and would like to predict Juan will shake up the Williams Team and outperform little Shu, testing has been fairly even timeswise between the 2 of them though this is not a great way, as you know,to judge them ,just an indication that Juan is up to speed and fairly confident.F1 needs more drivers who are prepared to go for it and race, and above all attack. Juan has shown these abilities in Cart and I feel he will be at the front end of the field from early in the season. As for Ralph, this year will be the biggest test he has faced so far with a teammate already challenging for the number 1 position and it will be interesting to see how he handles the situation. Maybe he should talk to his big bro about the secret of undying belief in your own abilities. Qualifying should be a beauty this Saturday and then we shall see who outguns who on the grid. Should help to solve a few arguments anyway......
Old 28 Feb 2001, 07:59 (Ref:67146)   #2
slipstream
Rookie

slipstream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that JPM will outperform Ralph. Having seen him drive in Indy at Surfers Paradise, I got the feeling of something very special. I hadn't seen anything comparable since first watching Senna in Adelaide in 1985. They both have the ability to wring that extra bit out of the car that would see the rest fall off the track. I have nothing against Ralph and in fact rate him quite highly, but this only serves to show how good JPM will be as he has quickly been able to match the times of a quality driver.
Old 28 Feb 2001, 11:46 (Ref:67159)   #3
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm .. when Juan would have started for Williams in 1999 instead of Alex he would have demolished Ralf out of the series halfway the season probably.

Two years onwards it's a littlebit of a different story. Ralf is experienced enough now to get a reasonably fair pace throughout the season. Compared to the new boy on the squad that shouldn't prove to be difficult to maintain in the first half of the season. Juan has never raced on quite some tracks at all and hasn't F1 experience on almost everyone of them so the Boy Juander has to cope with the tracks and his car first and learn it all.

But still he's something very special and during this learning curve he'll outshine Ralf on numerous occasions but more towards the second half of the season. The Williams ain't as dominant that he'll be able to enter as spectacular as Jacques did back in '96 but he'll do a far better job than Ralf in his first year ...
Old 28 Feb 2001, 13:09 (Ref:67167)   #4
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I agree with most of you about how this rivalry may end, montoya on top off-course, but we must have in mind that montoya has said he's going to take it slow, one step at a time, so we might expect some good results just after the second half of the season. But looking up to this week race, I think ralph has the edge, I have to admit it, he has raced in melbourne before, and if he's the number 1 as it appears, he will have some pit strategy on his hand. I have no doubts in Montoya's driving skills, but how good is the williams package this year?, we don't know. This will be a problem too, williams will have a good team battle this year, but they also will have to fight against Bar and Jordan, teams that are getting sronger, and the honda engine is quicker each time. So JPM will have to focus not only in beating his teammate, but also other midfield drivers like JV, and panis, or even Frantzen if he's up to the challenge. I saw yesterday an interview with some racing journalist from my country, and they said the same thing, Juan has the will, but does Frank has the car?????.
Old 28 Feb 2001, 16:10 (Ref:67194)   #5
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

How many times does Ralf have to prove himself?.

He held his own against Fisichela, demolished CART-wonder Zanardi and kept Button pretty much in his place. If no Ferraris or MacLarens had been in the grid, he would have been champion.

Something people forget is how mentally tough "little bro" Ralf can be. Just growing up in the shadow of "Schumi the elder" is no easy task and yet he's become a star on his own. He'd be my choice for 2nd or 3rd place this year if the BMW engine is up to the task.

About Juan, I guess he's quick and if he actually can drive half as fast as he can talk, he may do OK. But no, he won't beat Ralf. The anti-Schumacher crowd will have to wait for another proxy to fight the Schumis. The best bet for Juan's "damn the torpedoes" style of driving is a couple of good surprise results at most, and a nice collection of gravel traps.
Old 28 Feb 2001, 18:40 (Ref:67209)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGFLB will never become champion until everyone learns to spell his name.

IT'S "RALF". Not RALPH. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

===============

That being said again, Juan Pablo will wipe up the piste with him and modestly say that RalF was just having an off day or trying too hard or something. Toward the middle of the season when RalFFFFFF is lagging behind, we will see him adopt the tactics of his elder brother and attempt to ram his teammate off the track, and then say "I didn't see him. All those blue and white cars look alike to me."

After a session behind the bike sheds, Ralffff will tender an insincere public apology and start looking for another drive.

That or it's aliens.
Old 28 Feb 2001, 19:22 (Ref:67221)   #7
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O.K. Perhaps now everyone will learn to spell Ralf's name in the correct teutonic way. (Not an easy feat, I assume, after reading all the postings concerning Ralf). If this helps him win a World Championship, Liz will have my undying gratitude.

About Juan, those who are expecting the next great south american will just have to wait. Juan does not come from the same line as Fangio, Reutemann, Fittipaldi, Piquet and Senna. My impression is that Juan is too insecure about himself and tries to overcome or hide it with arrogance and agressive statements. He is very fast but F1 requires much more han a lead foot on the gas pedal.

Old 1 Mar 2001, 03:44 (Ref:67323)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly you have not seen le Beau Montoya drive.

I can imagine Ralffff getting his WDC and looking at the engraving and seeing that it says "2025 World Driving Champion RALPH SHOEMAKER".

What, not before then?

No. Not before then.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 08:19 (Ref:67329)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Oh Ye of little faith

I tipped Ralf to be the best of the non red and silver cars last year, throughout the year. I have faith in Ralf. I think that Ralf will make you guys eat humble pie, and then you might, just might look back at lkast year to see that he did well.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 10:39 (Ref:67346)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Valve - your using my words against me! Last time they were entered it was in defense of DC!

Now Ralfie. The guy has had second rate team mates, or guys on a first rotation when he has out shined them. Otherwise he has been consistent in his ability to disappoint.

Compare the first year of one "Jenson the Incredibly Lucky" with "Ralf You Can Choose Your Friends But Not Your Relatives".

Life is cruel isn't it.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 11:08 (Ref:67349)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
AM, you and Dino are going to be sorry that you have been so keen to rubbish Ralf - forget about team mates, Ralf did very well last year. I have a small chilli plant on my balcony, with quite a few hot chillies - and I am going to add that to the humble pie for you guys!!
Old 1 Mar 2001, 11:34 (Ref:67357)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent!

The hotter the better, I'll eat mine with swashed down with Victoria Bitter at the IndyCarnival, or what ever it's called this year.

But, my friend, I doubt it.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 17:04 (Ref:67396)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It will be interesting. Having seen JPM race in F3000 and Champcars there is no doubt that he is good. However of the drivers who have crossed from Cart to F1 and run in (let's say) the average teams, only Mario A has done well. JV came in to a team at the top of it's game now look at him.

So, I fully expect it to be even, if not a little in Ralf's favour, by mid season. If JPM has got the determination to make a "mediocre" (i.e. not a Mac or Ferrari) car work well then I will be among the first to applaud him.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 17:24 (Ref:67403)   #14
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This particular argument seems to be taking a "continental" tack. It seems that those of us who live in North America, and have seen Juan race for 2 years in CART, firmly believe that he will consistently outpace Ralf,certainly by the end of the year. Whereas our friends from Europe and Asia seem to prefer little S.
It has been stated many times over here, by every race commentator, that Juan is indeed something very special. He has very fast hands, no shortage of bravery, and in every interview I have seen, appears to have no insecurities about himself.
There is no question Ralf is an excellent driver, but having the 3rd best car last year, he of course finished behind the Macs and Ferraris, despite being outqualified 7 times by Jenson. We expected no less. But Juan is a different kettle of fish, with much more experience. I realize testing is just that, but Juan was instantly quick, and once he reaches the proper level of fitness, the team members will realize who the better driver is, and Juan will have the psychological advantage as well.
This is certainly not to trash Ralf, who is very good, but he's not had a teammate at Juan's level before. This is going to be as interesting as JV versus Panis!
Old 1 Mar 2001, 19:02 (Ref:67430)   #15
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the whole car issue is more important than the battle between JPM and Ralf, sure both will have to prove a lot to the team, but williams itself has to show what they can do, and how much improvement they have. Also the bttle with the other "mediocre teams" as some of you have called Jordan and Bar, is going to be interesting, not only because these two teams have a fight themselves, so I think we will see a very crowded mid-pack of the field all year long. Also we need to have in mind that there are a lot of tracks that juan has never runned in (like the ozzy gp), so Ralf will have to be better in qualifying and on the race, at least he should, he must, and if he doesn´t remember button still belongs to Sir Frank, would we see Montoya and Jenson together?????
Old 1 Mar 2001, 20:06 (Ref:67443)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by slipstream
I agree that JPM will outperform Ralph. Having seen him drive in Indy at Surfers Paradise, I got the feeling of something very special
But can you really compare that to seeing Ralf drive in F1? I have lost count of the number of times I have had to point out the bleeding obvious and say that CART IS NOT F1. Just because you have seen someone drive well in one series, it doesn't mean that he will automatically be just as good in another.

AMoffat, I would hardly rate Damon Hill as 'second-rate'. Unless of course you think that World Champions are second rate.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 20:32 (Ref:67447)   #17
Airhead
Veteran

No Steph,

Damon is/was anything but second rate. Which is my point, Ralf is a journeyman.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 20:52 (Ref:67450)   #18
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
By the way, Valve Bounce, I would very much like to help you make that humble pie come the season's end.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 23:52 (Ref:67488)   #19
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had to pass that piece of pie last year already, when I thought that if Bunsen had an inch of talent, Ralf wouldn't be able to cope with him.

It's widely accepted that Montoya's talent isn't measured in those inches, so I guess I have to make me and some others a Ralf-has-shown-the-real-limited-Ralf celebration-pie.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 09:10 (Ref:67536)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
This particular argument seems to be taking a "continental" tack. It seems that those of us who live in North America, and have seen Juan race for 2 years in CART, firmly believe that he will consistently outpace Ralf,certainly by the end of the year. Whereas our friends from Europe and Asia seem to prefer little S.
Absolutely but thats why its interesting. You only have to consider the recent past when JV (the last successful atlantic crossing) came to Williams the team was at the top of its game. Now its working to get back on top which makes it harder on the new driver who has to cope with increased media pressure etc. And look at JV these days. F1 is not just about racing (sadly). Zanardi was never a good driver when he was in F1 the first time around so JPM has at least one advantage over him. However, JPM has never experienced F1 other than testing so he's got it all to prove.

Apologies for the word "mediocre" it wasn't meant as an insult. I just thought it better than also-rans.

Old 2 Mar 2001, 09:34 (Ref:67541)   #21
Airhead
Veteran

Hey, we're here too!

If this is done on continental lines, then VB and I in Australia (remember the Olympics?)must be the all seeing all wise umpires. Except on the Ralfie issue we are on opposite sides of the fence.

So Ralfie (TGWv2) was 5th today, in something that doesn't count, I hasten to add -

that's funny, I finnished cooking an hour ago - is that the smell of humble pie wafting in through the window?
Old 2 Mar 2001, 10:40 (Ref:67550)   #22
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,well, Ralf takes the points for day 1. Congrats to TGW's little bro and lets see what happens tomorrow.. It is early days for Juan yet. And as for Damon, he was fine as long as he didn't have to pass anyone in an equally powered car.Woops, slight deviation from the topic!!
Old 2 Mar 2001, 11:07 (Ref:67553)   #23
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RALF WILL KILL JUAN ON THE TRACK

AS HISTORY SHOWS BAR ONE EXECEPTION IN MODEN F1. INDY DRIVERS CAN NOT KEEP UP ? MAINLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT TURBO CAR ARE A LOT DIFFERENT TO DRIVE (lazyer type of driving he. he ) THE ONLY EXCEPTION WAS JACQUES A TURE TALENT? . RALF HAS BEEN CLEAR BETTER & BETTER EVER YEAR
THAT WHY HE LEADS THE TEAM STATUS AND HIGHLY RATED BY THE
MEDIA & IF THE TOP TWO /FOUR SLIP UP RALF WILL BE THE ONE TO BENIFIT
Old 2 Mar 2001, 12:16 (Ref:67569)   #24
Liz
Veteran

If the top two teams "slip up" - it will be Jarno Trulli in the Jordan (or as Murray calls it "the yellow Ferrari") who capitalizes.

This is one fast and highly motivated young man and by midseason perhaps people will stop being startled to see him second on the grid.

But it is quickly becoming obvious that the interesting part of F1 this year will NOT be concerned with the Wearisome attempts of the media to make something out of the two boring teams Out Front. The fun will be from P4 back.

JMP will outpace Ralf and it will be evident by Imola.

You heard it here first but not last.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 18:39 (Ref:67643)   #25
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
Correct me if I'm wrong but, after today's practice, it seems TGFLB is doing quite well in putting The CART Driver in his place.

Go RALFFFF !!!!