Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1178977)   #1
Big Mark
Rookie

Big Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do we have to buy new race suits

Hi all,
I know this has been covered a couple of times but now the new blue book is out I wanted to see if there was a final verdict on this issue.
I have an FIA 1986 standard suit and the only mention of it in the blue book is that it is not valid after 01/01/2005?? (page 243)
I am not racing on an international level, just national hillclimb.
So is it a trip to demon tweeks or am I ok?
Cheers
Mark
Old 14 Dec 2004, 09:06 (Ref:1178981)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is an article about this in the latest Motorsport Now! I can't remember what was said exactly, but I think for national 1986 is fine, for FIA 2000 is needed.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1178984)   #3
Big Mark
Rookie

ah I'll have a look now
Old 14 Dec 2004, 09:11 (Ref:1178988)   #4
Big Mark
Rookie

Right....
MSA are permitting FIA 1986 but the FIA are not so it just depends which type of event you are running

Thanks Adam.
Page 7 latest MSA Now mag
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1179137)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The way I read it was that you can use the FIA1986 for national racing but not for FIA meetings
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1179291)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Falcy... two people just said that. Do pay attention.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:12 (Ref:1179400)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Falcy... two people just said that. Do pay attention.
Paton.....don't be picky

Last edited by Tim Falce; 14 Dec 2004 at 19:14.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1182146)   #8
acf8181
Racer

acf8181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you know the stupid bit...my race suit is '86...but OMP are selling it still and its now got the '00 standard. its still the same bloody suit, but i can't use it for intl events. not that it really matters as i don't even know that i'll race nationally this year (haven't raced in 13 months now)
Old 19 Dec 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1183090)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
acf - it may LOOK the same but how do you know the material spec and rating, stitching etc actually IS?
Old 19 Dec 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1183176)   #10
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do you need a new race suit for the occassional overseas race? I bought my £500+ Sparco suit from DT only just last year, but it's only "86" rated...
Old 19 Dec 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1183197)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
So do you need a new race suit for the occassional overseas race? I bought my £500+ Sparco suit from DT only just last year, but it's only "86" rated...

Yep. *Sorry*.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1183226)   #12
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
So when did 2000 spec come out? (I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere...). Was I mis-sold old goods...?
Old 23 Dec 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1186836)   #13
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Graeme you may have been. 2000-spec has been around since, well, 2000. 31/12/04 has been flagged up as last date for Norme 86 for some years. Are you sure it's Norme 1986 and not 8856-2000? I'd be surprised if DT had any Sparco that old. What's it say on the label?
Old 23 Dec 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1186882)   #14
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Yep, embrodry (sp?) in back of collar says "Norme 1986/1986 Standard" then "05.236.CSAI.98". I feel a letter to DT coming on... (Doesn't one of the Minshaw chaps hang out around here?)
Old 24 Dec 2004, 09:42 (Ref:1187313)   #15
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a new standard due out soon ? The reason for this query is that I am thinking of having a stand 21 suit made and I am hoping to use it for a good few years.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 09:50 (Ref:1187316)   #16
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Actually, with a bit more searching around, it seems that we might not need new race suits for foreign races - there's a difference between a race overseas and an "International" race...
Old 24 Dec 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1187548)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not AFAIK

Max
Old 24 Dec 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1187579)   #18
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Consider if someone from, say, Germany came across to race in your series, it'd be an overseas/forgein round to them but not an International race - they would just need standard National racing equipment. So if we go across to, say, Germany, we only need to comply with local regs, not International ones. International races are FIA GTs and the like.
Old 26 Dec 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1187936)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Graeme, Max and I have done a European FISC race each last year; while we did not need an International Licence because the races were registered under the exemption scheme with the FIA, we were subjected to full FIA International regs in respect of both vehicle technical regs and personal equipment. That meant inter alia FIA rollbar padding and FIA suits. Believe us, we would not have spent the money if it was avoidable.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 16:24 (Ref:1188471)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

MGD - not quite right - we wear FIA suits because the continentals don't have a lower-spec regulation like the UK does. Our event was "NEAFP" - National Event with Authrised Foreign Participation - so we took part under local rules, not FIA, and local rules stipulate FIA homologated clothing. Whatever we think of the MSA, they do keep the barriers to entry lower compared to Europe.

However, if Graeme does a British-organised event (eg when the BRSCC decamps to Croix-en-Ternois for the weekend) it may be that British rules will apply. Graeme, you need to check who's organising your event.

HTH

Max
Old 6 Jan 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1194537)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Top Hat races overseas, until the end of 2005 anyway, stipulate that you only need a NAt A license to race and you race as a Nat A race, but for harmony with everyone else, suits, extinguishers, harnesses and cages etc, need to be FiA ( I had to remount my harness for scrutineering)

I think therefore Midgetman sold me a pukka suit last year . . .for at least for the next few years anyway, until Ive saved up for a new one!

it made sense to go FiA for everything then theres no doubt about any races anywhere . . . .just incase I get invited to Monza or Sebring on the off chance !!!

Last edited by zefarelly; 6 Jan 2005 at 15:03.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1208430)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've just been informed that my new racesuit has arrived courtesy www.racewear.co.uk (Midgetman).

I got a Turkish tailor to measure me so I hope it fits!
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1208766)   #23
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
Consider if someone from, say, Germany came across to race in your series, it'd be an overseas/forgein round to them but not an International race - they would just need standard National racing equipment. So if we go across to, say, Germany, we only need to comply with local regs, not International ones. International races are FIA GTs and the like.
Sorry to say this, but you would need FIA spec suits (FIA 8856-2000) to race in whatever event in either Germany, Belgium or Holland. Same with the helmets (8860-2240). This lot over here only does everything the official FIA way. (Had to re-stock the shop thanks to this !!)
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1208787)   #24
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At last year's Mono race at Spa, myself and my travelling companions stocked up on new helmets, new harnesses and a fire extinguisher ... and during scutineering, nobody got more than 2 feet from my car and said scrutineering took all of about 5 seconds for three cars.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1208875)   #25
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And at Spa in 2003 I got back to my car to be told it had been scrutineered in my absence and I might not be allowed to race because the helmet wasn't FIA spec. Several of us were in the same boat, we all got to race..... I am reliably informed that the scrutineer examined only harness and helmet.