Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2012, 04:04 (Ref:3069077)   #1
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's an F1 newbie to do?

So I've never really followed F1 before. I've been bitten by the bug, though, and I find myself trying to learn as much as I can. But while there is a wealth of information out there, there doesn't seem to be any guide to what a new fan "needs to know" - not in the sense of how race weekends work, flags, tyres, etc., but rather where do I watch F1, where do I get commentary, are there any particular races or incidents from the past that would be worth checking out (you can find a lot of amazing stuff on youtube these days), and that sort of thing. So what do you, people of 10 Tenths, think a new fan needs to know or might find valuable in enjoying F1?
Old 4 May 2012, 04:21 (Ref:3069079)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
First off, get the 's in !

Welcome, enjoy !
Old 4 May 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3069121)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm i'm trying to go back to when I first got in to it (1997 onwards).

I used to be fascinated by the crashes (hey, I was a young lad!) and how these drivers and cars could withstand so much. I then went on to learn alot more about the tracks themselves and their safety changes they made over the years. This aspect is pretty fascinating. But saying that, I never used to have the benefit of things like YouTube and Wikipedia, so information was very much scattered.

I'd suggest checking out some of the historical features (on cars, drivers, races, tracks) on F1fanatic.co.uk - some great stuff there.

Perhaps watch some of the season reviews from the past, too. I found gradually working my way backward worked quite well. So do it in, say, 10 year jumps. Get some 2002 on, find out what Schuey was all about in his prime, check out those V10s screaming. Then back to 1992, bit of Ayrton, the supreme Williams of that season, a rookie Schuey. Then hark back to 1982, the season before big changes in regulations, the last of that era, unfortunately marred by tragedy. Although these images can be a sad picture, they did also shape the Formula One you know now.

That's what i'd do if I were to start over, anyway.

Have fun, there's alot of good people on here, so if you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Selby
Old 4 May 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3069359)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tyres : ask Marbot, he's biased, but hey, he will tire you with information.

Stats : ask Schummi, he's the wizard of the numbers.

Ferrari fans : There are some, garcon, Jeremy & others, they're ready or red to tell you all.

Ferrari haters : There are many, don't worry to find them, they'll find you.

TGF means "That German Fellow" which relates directly to the multi-champion Michael Schumacher, though some disagree with the nickname, that's a cornerstone here at tenths and shows how much popular TGF was and still is around here.

RBR : Energy drinks turned to a team. Adrian Newey's genius turning team to champions.

Fingerman : You know who, the young german fellow, Vettel that it is... nothing more to say.

Teflonso : Refers to Fernando Alonso, many doesn't like the nick, but it shows his infamous character. Mercy on him...

Massa : The popular driver that shouldn't be there anymore and generates a lot of threads with the same subject : "Who's going to replace..." and others not so interesting titles.

Rubens Barrichello : No more. Superseded, obsolete, archaic. Refer to Indy Race and former F1 drivers crossing the Atlantic.

Kimi Raikkonen : Come back, Ferrari antics, take ****. Lotus/Renault and other names. Party, drinks. Fast driving skills.

Bernie Ecclestone : F1, F1 organisation, F1 money, F1 television, F1 copyrights, F1 business, F1 controversy, F1 alliances, F1 circus, F1 related.

Michael Schumacher : see TGF.

Fernando Alonso : see Teflonso.

McLaren : Ron Dennis, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button. Opposed to Ferrari. Classic british team. Best pair of drivers. Max Mosley's disaffect.

Lewis Hamilton : Fast, reckless, talented, fun to watch, wheel-to-wheel racing. See McLaren.

Jeson Button : smooth, precise, almost flawless. Example to driver's evolution in racing. See McLaren.

Sebastian Vettel : fast, talented. See Fingerman. See RBR.

Mark Webber : Webber to Renault joke. Now Webber to Ferrari. See RBR.

Lotus : Depends on what Lotus you are referring to. See Lotus. See Renault. See Caterham;

Renault : Former Benetton, Now Lotus. See Lotus.

Caterham : Former Lotus. See Lotus.

Force India : Middle team. Former many teams.

More to come.
Old 4 May 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3069403)   #5
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ayrton Senna. Idol of many F1 drivers. See Driving God or Racing Perfection.

Alain Prost: Logical racer. See Button.

DRS. Rear wing fiddling to make the car faster. See band aid passing.

KERS. Electricity that has magical powers that makes the car faster. See band aid passing.

Backmarker: Mobile chicane posing as a F1 team. See Hispania Racing Team or Marussia F1.

HRT: See backmarker.

Marussia F1: See backmarker.

Scuderia Toro Rosso: RBR's backup.

Band aid passing: See DRS, KERS or Pirelli.

Pirelli: Italian tyres, really sticky but they don't last. See band aid passing.

Last edited by Razor; 4 May 2012 at 16:49.
Old 6 May 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3070200)   #6
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thing you should do if you're into racing yourself, get the latest F1 game, a steering wheel and pedals, and play the hell out of it.

You'll learn all the F1 tracks pretty well. Well, maybe not all, but the good ones. But you'll also learn racing lines and braking points and how it really all works.

Read up on all the history of the current drivers as well, so you know what their pasts are. And then start watching the old F1 races and season reviews.
Old 6 May 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3070292)   #7
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14 View Post
So I've never really followed F1 before. I've been bitten by the bug, though, and I find myself trying to learn as much as I can. But while there is a wealth of information out there, there doesn't seem to be any guide to what a new fan "needs to know" - not in the sense of how race weekends work, flags, tyres, etc., but rather where do I watch F1, where do I get commentary, are there any particular races or incidents from the past that would be worth checking out (you can find a lot of amazing stuff on youtube these days), and that sort of thing. So what do you, people of 10 Tenths, think a new fan needs to know or might find valuable in enjoying F1?
Everybody is new at one point. I was new in 2008, and wondering some of the same things.

To watch F1 with commentary, the Speed network is your friend. They don't have the full coverage that you would expect in Europe, but they do run live coverage of the second round of Friday Practice, Saturday qualifying, and the race on Sunday. Here in the States they're typically on early in the day, so a DVR is your friend, unless you can drag yourself out of bed early enough (or stay up late). I think Speed tends to rerun them later into the week during the afternoon, too. Their website also streams live coverage of the other practice rounds, although with no commentators.

To start brushing up on your F1 history, there's always Wikipedia. You don't need to learn everything all at once. If you're going to be following this for the long haul, you'll have plenty of time to learn bits here and there along the way. The Wikipedia article about F1 in general could be a good place to start, and then down at the bottom of the page is a list of "Formula One World Championship seasons". You can click on them to go to articles for each of those seasons. There's also plenty of books out there that cover the sport's history, like The Complete Book of Formula One which will take you through half a century of seasons, the teams, and their drivers, complete with loads of photos. Discussing the sport with other fans on boards like this one is another great place to ask about F1.

Some of the teams, like Ferrari and McLaren, have been in the game for a very long time (several decades) while others are relatively new (Red Bull), but then some of them have more confusing histories, having been one team before becoming another. For example, the current Mercedes team was previously Brawn GP in 2009, and Brawn GP came from Ross Brawn purchasing the older Honda team. The current Lotus team was previously Renault, and Caterham was Lotus last year. If you look through the past several decades, you see team names spring up and vanish into the history books along the way. Some of the key people at the various teams have also had interesting histories, going from team to team throughout their careers.

One driver that you need to know about is Ayrton Senna. There is a must-see film about him that came out a little while back. Another good film to watch is Grand Prix, which is an older film and focuses on a much older era of the sport, but you get to see some of the really old cars and older tracks, some of which we still race on today but in a different form. Grand Prix follows the story of some fictional drivers, but it included some real-world drivers.

Last edited by IceMan_PJN; 6 May 2012 at 17:41.
Old 6 May 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3070294)   #8
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should seriously think about visiting Montreal in June. Hearing and seeing these cars in person will change your life.
Old 6 May 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3070303)   #9
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil22 View Post
You should seriously think about visiting Montreal in June. Hearing and seeing these cars in person will change your life.
Also there's the race on the brand new Austin, Texas circuit later this year. If S14 is indeed from the Rocky Mountain area of the US, Texas would be closer, and he'd get to watch a race on a brand new circuit that borrows from various European tracks. (His flag is of Ireland, however, so now I'm confused.)
Old 6 May 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3070311)   #10
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
Also there's the race on the brand new Austin, Texas circuit later this year. If S14 is indeed from the Rocky Mountain area of the US, Texas would be closer, and he'd get to watch a race on a brand new circuit that borrows from various European tracks. (His flag is of Ireland, however, so now I'm confused.)
Texas may be closer but it's still Texas. Lived out there for a couple of years and, well, I'll be in Montreal for my F1 fix.
Old 7 May 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3070466)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fangio's win in the 1957 German GP is one must to remember the old days of F1!
Old 8 May 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3071478)   #12
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

F1 live is addictive... but if you really want to get close: volunteer! be part of the race.
Old 9 May 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3071796)   #13
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The Piranha Club is well worth a read, plenty of detail about how some of the sports biggest names and rivalries came to be.

A few things to look up on You Tube...

Hakkinen's Double overtake.
The Start crash at Spa 98.
Jos Verstappen's Hockenheim Pit Fire.
Murray Walker Gaffes.
Senna and Prost Suzuka 89 & 90

And read up about the history of Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren and Williams. Between those four, you basically have the history of F1.
Old 9 May 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3071808)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surprised nobody has mentioned Dijon 1979. Wheel to wheel racing and they were only going for second spot. It's on youtube.

Books to read include Mon Ami Mate, the story of Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn. Not contemporary but a true story about life in GP racing in the fifties. As good a place to start as any.
Old 9 May 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3071941)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi S14. Welcome to Ten-Tenths and to the joys of F1.

Some moments I'd recommend include Hungary 1997, when reigning world champion Damon Hill almost won the Hungarian Grand Prix in an Arrows. As a clip, it's arguably not much to watch and the German commentators in the clip you can find on a popular video site do not add much atmosphere, but he came within the failure of a 50p part of winning the Grand Prix. At least he won in a Jordan just over a year later at Spa. Yes, the Bridgestones were the tyres to have that day and very few teams were on them, but Damon was still on it that day like probably no-one else.

In more recent times, you have the conclusion of the 2008 championship, which if Sly Stallone had scripted it for his film, you would have said was almost as ridiculous as what actually happened in Driven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4skpT...eature=related

What about 1992 and Monaco? This was the first specific Grand Prix I remember seeing and the battle at the end was tense. Although Mansell never made it past Senna, having led most the way, there was always the thought he might just do it and the close rivalry lending it an exciting air. I was quite young at the time and remember how fun I thought it looked to race on tight streets. I remember how close Mansell came to the back of Senna in the chicane. These memories stick with you. Every fan will have their own.

Formula 1 of course goes back significantly further than that, and how about this brilliant clip of Jim Clark at Oulton Park from 1963: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezp93fWNkw Just look at that suspension movement!

I will come back with more at a later point.

'Flat Out, Flat Broke' is a hilarious tale of motor racing woes by Perry McCarthy, who never got much of a chance to show his stuff in F1, but whose journey showed how he grafted and blagged (I do not mean that disrespectfully!) his way too the top.

Last edited by Born Racer; 9 May 2012 at 22:21.
Old 9 May 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3071956)   #16
rono190
Rookie

Australia
rono190 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from the posts above also recommend the doco "grand prix killer years" done by bbc...
Old 9 May 2012, 23:28 (Ref:3071976)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome rono190. A long-time lurker I see?

Yes, that documentary brings it home to you how things have changed out of sight.
Old 12 May 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3073214)   #18
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Search for some YouTube clips of the 80s turbo cars. Over 1000bhp from 1.5 litres!

James Hunt and Nikki Lauda in the 70s.....

Nigel Mansell overtaking. Maybe not as talented as the likes of Senna and Prost but just look at the size of his ********!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwgLg8vRMQU

Enjoy....
Old 15 May 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3074966)   #19
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rono190 View Post
Apart from the posts above also recommend the doco "grand prix killer years" done by bbc...
I just watched that documentary today. I recommend it too, really puts into context how much safety has evolved and how it was viewed in such a different light back then.

The final clip in particular with David Purley and Roger Williamson is heart-wrenching and really shows how truly desperate the situation had got.
Old 15 May 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3075060)   #20
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Youtube channel to look at is "brunswickfilms" put it in as all one word. Especially good for 70's and 80's stuff.
They made some docos on drivers of the 70's - i think they were called "Grand Prix heroes" people like Andretti,Hunt,Stewart, Siffert, Lauda etc.

Another good source of 80's recaps is Clive James reviews - a little tongue in cheek...

A good podcast each week is "The Flying Lap" by Peter Windsor (up to episode 69), available on Youtube and itunes (or live on Wed Evening or Thursday morning depending on your geo location). About an hour of current F1 stuff including tech stuff from ScarbsF1, also sometimes have interviews with people like Mario Andretti, Damon Hill, Nigel Mansell.