Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Jul 2000, 15:10 (Ref:26467)   #1
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me or is anybody else out there getting totally fed up with every single new bloody racing series - particularly in tin tops - being called 'Super'?!

Let's go through a few:
Superbikes
V8 Supercars
Super Touring
Supercars
Superstars
Supercup

What is it with the word? I think there must be a new meaning in it somewhere. Maybe each series has to be called 'Super' to at least have one good thing (super is good, right?) about the racing. Calling a series 'Super', I don't think, has anything to do with the actual racing; if anything it makes it worse, brings out the whinging and moaning and whinging and moaning () in everybody.

I think, just to be different, someone should stick their necks out and call a championship something different. Otherwise, 'super' will end up in the dictionary bin next year, along with that bloody 'millennium' word...

The two most over-used words of the 21st Century? I think we've got 'em pretty well cornered here...
Old 28 Jul 2000, 15:44 (Ref:26481)   #2
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminds me of the Reggie Perrin TV programme a few years ago when one of the son-in-laws answer to everything was 'super' and the other one's was 'great' . I do agree though it is pretty boring calling everything the same , the organisers really should try and come up with something more original ...... 'V8 monstercars' or 'Megatouring racers' Even the 'eurocar' tag is bloody boring - mind you on reflection it's not that easy , or perhaps I am just too dim .
I think the 'BigBoysToys' series was a step or name in the right direction but 'realmachomonsterbike' is a bit of a mouthful especially after a few pints.
Old 28 Jul 2000, 15:50 (Ref:26483)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
a couple more could be added to the list

Super trucks
super sedans (speedway)

it can get confusing as tonite at work i was reading a racing mag at dinner and the guy next to me asked "how were the V8 super tourers at winton last weekend"

after correcting him and telling him how it was ..he replied ..'there is too many bloody names to remember..it can get a bit confusing"

which is a problem..as this guy is not an avid follower of racing..but every now and then he likes a bit of a look and if joe public carnt get their heads around the diffent "super" names then the sport will suffer because of this
Old 28 Jul 2000, 18:52 (Ref:26501)   #4
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Good - thanks for the speedy replies. I now know it ain't just me getting pished off with this Superkrap. Please don't give me any more examples - I'll be sick!!
Old 29 Jul 2000, 21:26 (Ref:26712)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about "Really Fast Blokes" (RFB)? Or just use whatever prize they're going for as their name?
Old 31 Jul 2000, 16:26 (Ref:27270)   #6
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I keep coming back to Slowcoach's V8 Monstercars...