Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 25 Apr 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2186324)   #1
DALY
Racer

DALY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS Device

Have any/many drivers experienced the use of the HANS device in FF1600 racecars?

Over the last couple of weeks I know of two incidents where the driver has sustained injuries that may have been prevented or reduced if one was worn.

Any experiences to share?

Pete Daly
Old 25 Apr 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2186332)   #2
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103023
Old 25 Apr 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2186379)   #3
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pete - I bought one this week (and a new helmet) afer Dave's accident last week - I was told that they expect them to become mandatory in 2010 or poss even 09.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2188394)   #4
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALY
Have any/many drivers experienced the use of the HANS device in FF1600 racecars?

Over the last couple of weeks I know of two incidents where the driver has sustained injuries that may have been prevented or reduced if one was worn.

Any experiences to share?

Pete Daly
Pete.

I've used one for 2 or 3 years in a FFord and have always been surprised there aren't more people using it. To be honest I bought one pretty soon after they first became available, tried it once and didn't like it then didn't use it for a number of months. I then realised that owning a HANS and not using it was just crazy and decided to force myself to get used to it. This took no time at all and I don't now have any issues with it.

Fyi - the issues I had originally were the restriction it put on me turning my head sideways (I just got used to this with time) and it hurt my shoulder blades - this was sorted with some additional padding.

Get one. For little more than the price of a new set of tyres - it is crazy not to!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2188551)   #5
A Quartermaine
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ascot, Berkshire
A Quartermaine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFmygale
Pete.

I've used one for 2 or 3 years in a FFord and have always been surprised there aren't more people using it. To be honest I bought one pretty soon after they first became available, tried it once and didn't like it then didn't use it for a number of months. I then realised that owning a HANS and not using it was just crazy and decided to force myself to get used to it. This took no time at all and I don't now have any issues with it.

Fyi - the issues I had originally were the restriction it put on me turning my head sideways (I just got used to this with time) and it hurt my shoulder blades - this was sorted with some additional padding.

Get one. For little more than the price of a new set of tyres - it is crazy not to!
Will second your thoughts, purchased one this winter and have used it for the last few races with no troubles.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2188582)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Quartermaine
Will second your thoughts, purchased one this winter and have used it for the last few races with no troubles.
AQ, when did you last have some races with no troubles??

PS Who won today?
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2188644)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After reading Dr. Olvey's book I will not race without one.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2189061)   #8
A Quartermaine
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ascot, Berkshire
A Quartermaine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
AQ, when did you last have some races with no troubles??

PS Who won today?
JM,

Before you borrowed my car it worked like a dream.

Race 1
1. P Barrable
2. D Grady
3. D Connor
FL - Grady

Race 2
1. P Barrable
2. D Grady
3. AQ
FL- AQ
Old 28 Apr 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2189084)   #9
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3rd and fastest lap nice one mate

What happened to Tom in the new Van Diemen?

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 28 Apr 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2189112)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
*Asp suggests an alternative thread?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2189671)   #11
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have found that using normal 3" belts the belt can slip off the top of the HANS. I was told to try crossing the belts over (on the buckle side) and this has cured it, any comments on the safety of crossing them over?
Old 29 Apr 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2189914)   #12
gaius ghinn
Rookie

United Kingdom
Godalming Surrey
gaius ghinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought 'hans specific' belts for this season and they simply dont work with the hans devise! They keep slipping off. I have 'crossed' my belts also which works ok but i'd also be keen to know if there are any safety issues in doing so. And no, i wouldn't race without one, especially in veiw of recent injuries sustained in front impact shunts!
Old 29 Apr 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2189934)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattray
I have found that using normal 3" belts the belt can slip off the top of the HANS. I was told to try crossing the belts over (on the buckle side) and this has cured it, any comments on the safety of crossing them over?
I suggest you ask the manufacturer. I'd be very surprised if they had been tested in that condition and therefore I suspect they would be regarded as improperly used.

Jim
Old 29 Apr 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2189958)   #14
mattray
Veteran

hmm seems to be an echo.

good plan Jim, will do!
Old 29 Apr 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2190008)   #15
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is also a need to have your belts tight - with, or without Hans. If they don't hold you tightly, you have that extra bit of forward movement after the impact. Have them as tight as possible, then when the car stops, you stop. Some drivers don't like them tight. I believe one of the recently injured drivers falls into that category.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2190324)   #16
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt, if you have enough room behind you to cross the belts, it should be no problem. It is one of the possiblities when wearing a Hans.
Depends all as well a bit how the belts are fitted to the rear.
Will try to put a link or picture here.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2190359)   #17
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THIS should be of help.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2190361)   #18
mattray
Veteran

I will try crossing them first then, thankyou. the belts are mounted a fair amount beneath the shoulders so there is a good arc around the shoulders. without crossing them though it was just dangerous as it kept slipping off, no matter how tight they were.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2190363)   #19
mattray
Veteran

it looks like the problem is that the belts are too far apart at the mounting point.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 19:02 (Ref:2190440)   #20
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone, i just thought i'd give my opinion on racing with or without a HANS device seeing that i am one of the drivers who has recently sustained pretty serious injuries to my neck in an accident.

I think to race without a HANS device now should be out of the question and really would like to seee them become mandatory in all series in the next few years. Sometimes it takes accidents for the potential dangers and potential injuries to be drummed home to people and recently there have been two that have shown how serious head on accidents can be. I'm almost certain that if i had been wearing a HANS device i wouldn't be sat here with a halo screwed into my skull and facing 6 months of recovery!

Here is a comparison of two accidents that i think speaks volumes for the effectiveness of HANS.
A couple of years ago Chris Chisnall had a head on accident that i witnessed with data showing he hit the barrier at 99mph. A couple of weeks ago i had an almost identical accident with the data showing i hit the barrier at 91mph. Both cars involved were Van Diemen RF00s and both Chris and I are roughly the same height and weight as people who know us both will know. In both accidents the drivers suffered mutiple lower back fractures further showing the similarity of the accidents. The crucial difference is that Chris was wearing a HANS device and came away with nothing more than a stiff neck in this area. I, on the other hand, not wearing a HANS device suffered a double fracture of the C2 verterbra in my neck (known as the 'hangmans' fracture) and have had an extensive stay in hospital and face months of recovery time. I was told by medics i was lucky not to be paralysed or even be dead. Make what you will from this comparison but i think it has some substance.

On a side note i'd just like to thank everyone that has sent messages or shown concern since the accident. It's truly appreciated.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2190894)   #21
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear your on the mend - get better - get the car sorted and with a bit of luck, we'll see you out there later this year!

I bought my Hans the Monday after Brands, and having witnessed the aftermath of you accident, would recommend everyone else does the same.

Jez
Old 30 Apr 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2191440)   #22
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
There is also a need to have your belts tight - with, or without Hans. If they don't hold you tightly, you have that extra bit of forward movement after the impact. Have them as tight as possible, then when the car stops, you stop. Some drivers don't like them tight. I believe one of the recently injured drivers falls into that category.
This is a really good point Diz and about the best raised. HANS or no, if your belts aren't tight, your asking for trouble.

It never ceases to amaze me just how many drivers have their belts loose. It completely defeats the object.

I can appreciate that belts really tight can feel excessively restrictive in the assembley area, but once on track, you don't even notice it.

Regarding the HANS device itself, I have said for sometime now. Yes, in a forward head-on shunt, they do a job, but I would hate to roll over into gravel in an older car and have a HANS device on. When the roll hoop digs in, next is your head. And the restrictions in movement the HANS device offers means you can't get your head out of the way. I have seen a few guys roll into gravel in Formula Fords and it's a good job they didn't have HANS devices on. You can at least move your head to one side and in one instance, the drivers head was resting between the side bar of the cockpit and the gravel, but at least his head wasn't taking all the strain.

It's alright all these drivers promoting HANS devices, but you have to look at the bigger picture. All these new Formula cars have high cockpit sides. All the new circuits have no gravel traps, they all have tarmac run off.

If all of the run offs around the country were tarmac, then no problem.

I'm not against HANS at all, I just want more evidence that they are COMPLETELY the right way to go. All the promotional shots you see of them are head on shunts. Show me some evidence that they work as effectively in a roll situation.
Old 1 May 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2191591)   #23
test run
Rookie

test run should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point Walshy. I was on the verge of ordering one until the last post.

I have also talked directly to the MSA who have no plans of making them mandatory. I would have thought if there was clear evidence that at club / national level they were safer they would be considering it now.
Old 1 May 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2191614)   #24
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by test run
Good point Walshy. I was on the verge of ordering one until the last post.

I have also talked directly to the MSA who have no plans of making them mandatory. I would have thought if there was clear evidence that at club / national level they were safer they would be considering it now.

Or maybe they havn't done a deal yet..
Old 1 May 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2191624)   #25
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy
. . .
I'm not against HANS at all, I just want more evidence that they are COMPLETELY the right way to go. All the promotional shots you see of them are head on shunts. Show me some evidence that they work as effectively in a roll situation.
Nothing is "Completely" the right way to go. You have to make an assessment of the comparative risks for yourself, pending action by the MSA.

Regards

Jim

Tags
hans