Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 25 Feb 2004, 17:59 (Ref:885377)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Homestead this Weekend

The season stars this Sunday on the new High Banks at Homestead....

Some Thoughts:

Will the cars already be equipped with the "new" aero rules for ovals more than a mile (except Indy)?

- In other words, do we know if the bodywork that sounds like it resembles the Hanford Device that CART ran on superspeedways will be in place on the rear wings?

How will the new aero changes on other parts of the cars, with less downforce, etc., impact this race?

Will the Dallara Chassis be better in drafting and traffic than it was last year?? Or will a G-Force win the race (the changes in the banks seem to say Dallara, but that remains to be seen...the Dallaras seemed to be able to pull up on people last year, but coudln't get by them in the draft....Kanaan usually ran outside of the line to get clean air instead of drafting last season...???

The New Homestead:

Can we look forward to seeing action like we saw a Chicagoland? or Kansas? or the tight action like we get at Texas? now that Homestead has the graduated high banks with three possible driving lines available through the turns? It has to be better than action there in previous outings on the 6-degree banks...but I want your thoughts...

How will the aero changes affect the drafting on a small, high-banked oval like Homestead is now??? Especially with the "Hanford Device-Like" wing add-ons (if they run them this weekend)

What about engines?

- Will Toyota continue to dominate?
- By the end of last season Honda was in third, behind Toyota and the "Chevy-worth" (Gen. IV) as far as power and performance....did they make up the difference in the off-season?
- Now that the "Chevy-worth" has been christened with a half-season under it's belt, how competitive will it be now that Sam Hornish will be mashing a Toyota throttle under his foot instead of the pedal that pushes this "Pseudo-Bow Tie" product?

Finally:

Who do you like for the Top Five this Sunday????

Who will fill the top three rows in the Grid????

It's been a LONG winter....

LET"S GO RACING!!!!!!!

Your Thoughts???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Feb 2004, 19:56 (Ref:885471)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its going to be a mixed bag Tim. There are so many changes to keep track of, that I'm not sure what to expect.

Some drivers think that the new aero package, which should be in use this weekend, will make for better racing, while others don't. Some think that the new track will make for better racing, while others don't. I'm not sure if even they know how these things will affect the racing! Many differing opinions on what these changes will bring.

The Dallaras seemed to dominate the two tests, with the G-Force only taking one top 5 at Phoenix(Dixons), and none at Homestead. They have there work cut out for them.

I think the engine battle is up for grabs though. There all talking confidently, and Chevy should be competitive from the start. So that should be an interesting fight.

Homestead looked great for the NASCAR race, and everyone agreed it was a much better race. Speeds were up, and the action close. It should be the same for the IndyCars, or at least I hope!

Now for my top 5, you can bet the house on these picks:

1 Kannan
2 Barron
3 Hornish
4 Dixon
5 Scheckter

Tim, you need to get in on our Fantasy IndyCar Game. We need one more player. See the thread by Down Force.

The time to race is nearly here!

Danica Patrick
Old 25 Feb 2004, 20:24 (Ref:885498)   #3
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey i like the look of your top 5!
Old 25 Feb 2004, 20:41 (Ref:885519)   #4
Weaver
Rookie

United States
Indy,IN
Weaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I really like who you have as #1.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 20:46 (Ref:885524)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm giving my Top Five a lot of thought before I post it...

But I think all of the AGR cars will be strong at Homestead....

Especially Herta and Kanaan

Old 25 Feb 2004, 20:46 (Ref:885525)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Weaver
And I really like who you have as #1.
Hmmm, you wouldn't be mechanic for Kannan, now would you Weaver?

Cmon guys, no holding out, where's your top 5? Jenna, I know my picks are a lock, but you must have someone you like, that I left out?
Old 26 Feb 2004, 01:44 (Ref:885765)   #7
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pole: Kannan
Laps: Hornish
1st: Hornish
2nd: Dixon
3rd: Barron
4th: Castroneves
5th: Franchitti
Old 26 Feb 2004, 01:55 (Ref:885770)   #8
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pole: Hornish
Laps:Kanaan

1 Kanaan
2 Hornish
3 Scheckter
4 Helio
5 Dixon
Old 26 Feb 2004, 02:23 (Ref:885776)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Welcome to the forum Team Owner! Way to jump in! Cheers

Hey MLM, I see your catching on pretty well to the IRL.

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:34 (Ref:886186)   #10
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Welcome to the forum Team Owner! Way to jump in! Cheers

Hey MLM, I see your catching on pretty well to the IRL.

Thank You ! I would look for Dixon to be strong but the G-Force will suffer because of the amount of drag unless the track gets very slippery. The Dallaras of Hornish and Castroneves will come to the front even if they don't start there IMO AGr is the unknown quantity. They have good drivers and better power this year but they seem to "shoot themselves in the foot " during these races.

See you at the track !
Old 26 Feb 2004, 14:33 (Ref:886321)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Here are my Top Five:

1. Castroneves
2. Herta
3. Hornish
4. Kanaan
5. Barron

Top Six in Quals:

1. Castroneves
2. Kanaan
3. Dixon
4. Barron
5. Franchitti
6. Herta or Wheldon

Most laps led: Hornish

First, why that Top Five:

The new aero rules with less downforce really puts it back into the drivers' hands....these five are versatile, very experienced, and can make the best of a less than perfect car, as well as the adjustments to get the car better as the race goes on....

I agree that Dixon may have a disadvantage in the G-Force, and that's the only reason why he is not in my Top Five....

In reality, there are 10-12 drivers who can, and will be "in the hunt..."

Franchitti had a year off...in an ultra-competitive field, whatever little bit of rust he might have will be costly when it gets to the final shootout at the end of the race...that's why he's not in my top five...

Don't ever count out Panther Racing...they are renowned for their aero and chassis set-ups...Scheckter also has settled down....Taylor has the talent, but has a big learning curve to get to the top of this level...look for him to make waves as the season goes on...

Rice also has some talent, and will be fast...don't know if he has the driving experience that others up the list do though...

Dark Horses:

Darren Manning has talent...but very little oval experience...he is with a great team and he is a fast learner...should have won Milwaukee in Champ Cars last summer, even with inferior equipment....

Dan Wheldon has the skills, and he is a charger (why he might make the top six on the grid) but again, the experience factor and the ability to translate tweaks into a working set-up in a car with less downforce will be the issue...

Scott Sharp....he always seems to find his way to the front...and with a one-car team, their sole focus will be Scott's set-ups and efforts....Kelley Racing is a good operation....

Final Note:

Hornish never seems to be agood qualifier...that's why he's not in my Top Six in the field.... but he'll be in the mix in the race...

Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:37 (Ref:886377)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AGR and Target and a penske car. the new banking wil suit IRL well, and there will be more real racing- as a lack in downforce maybe will cause more lifting, slight, the AGR cars outnumber the others so, and Hornish is always good-always, and in a penske machine. Never count out cool Dixon but the top 5 order i could never say as it could nevr separate in my mind a last lap time separated by .005 seconds anyway.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 16:03 (Ref:886395)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Note:

The aero change that sounds like a version of the "Haniford device" that CART used at Michigan makes drafting, passing and on-track racing action much more prevalent....

Expect this race to be a full-out shootout from beginning to end....

Old 26 Feb 2004, 18:31 (Ref:886534)   #14
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

Cmon guys, no holding out, where's your top 5? Jenna, I know my picks are a lock, but you must have someone you like, that I left out?
hmmm seems i've been too silent in regards to my Kanaan obsession lately! he's my number one pick for every race this season! other than that i would say:

Pole: Kanaan
1. Kanaan
2. Hornish
3. Dixon
4. Franchitti
5. Barron

and i'll put Scott Sharp and Wheldon in the top ten too.

Last edited by jenna; 26 Feb 2004 at 18:33.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:00 (Ref:886560)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by jenna
hmmm seems i've been too silent in regards to my Kanaan obsession lately! he's my number one pick for every race this season! other than that i would say:

Pole: Kanaan
1. Kanaan
2. Hornish
3. Dixon
4. Franchitti
5. Barron

and i'll put Scott Sharp and Wheldon in the top ten too.
Hmmm, does Tony know about this "obsession" you have?

Hey jenna, did you ever hear of the saying, "don't bet with your heart, bet with your head"?

I'm a pretty big Scott Sharp fan myself. He's been a real steady, long time IRL guy, who's had some great seasons in the League, and not to mention, he's a hometown guy,(well, close anyway!) so I have to root for him!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:12 (Ref:886576)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
As for me....

I like pulling for the underfunded underdog...

I like a lot of the teams, but I always hope that Dreyer & Reinbold will get a break and run well....

Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:24 (Ref:886591)   #17
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
i know it would make sense to bet with my head but i couldn't jinx Kanaan by putting him anywhere but first! plus on his website they had a picking competition last year and i put him first every race and was coming second for most of the year so it can't be that bad a way to do it!!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:48 (Ref:886615)   #18
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, GP, I have been to Indy and I am familiar with the ex-CART drivers It's just the rest of the IRL I need to bone up on.
(BTW, I got your PM and I'll send you a reply when I get around to it. I just got back from a funeral and lunch with my Mum. I will say I agree VERY strongly with what you wrote.)

I wouldn't discount Jenna's "Tony Fix"...I had him pegged to win Indy 2 years back and looked very strong until he skidded in oil (laid down from Bruno's blown engine).
NEVER discount TK, eh Jenna . I think TK is a very strong and logical pick.

TK's one of my picks for the championship(ditto the "usual suspects"...Helio, Hornish, and Dixon. I still think Scheckter could be a dark horse this year...provided he uses his head and gains maturity. The raw talent is there,though)

Last edited by MLM; 26 Feb 2004 at 19:50.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:53 (Ref:886619)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
One Added Note:

Tora Takagi hasn't gotten one mention yet...

He's been fast in testing...and Mo Nunn knows how to get it done...

He will be a player in the mix at Homestead as well....

Certainly a consideration for a Top Three Rows in Quals and possibly a Top Five finish as well....

Old 27 Feb 2004, 00:20 (Ref:886875)   #20
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
actually Takagi's in my top 10, i think i put him at number 10. it took a little while for him to get warmed up last year but by the last few races he was doing really well..