Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1249325)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
More wet GPs?/Thunderstorms gathering? (merged)

Looks like we're in for another wet one in Malaysia according to www.f1racing.net.

And it's been raining in Bahrain just of late!Then we're back to Europe and San Marino which is always dodgy weatherwise,and the outlook for Europe as a whole this spring isn't too good.

This may spice up the races,but will it make a mockery of qually again?
Old 11 Mar 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1249330)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess we are all hoping for a dry Q1, to at last get an idea of where the teams really are in relation to each other.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1249339)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
I guess we are all hoping for a dry Q1, to at last get an idea of where the teams really are in relation to each other.
It seems ridiculous that we have to do that to find out which is truly the fastest car/driver/tyre conbination.But i guess it's what happens in the race that is most important.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1249340)   #4
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as it rains in the race as well, it could be really exciting. Hopefully it will either be wet in the race and at least 1 qualifying session, or dry all weekend - I'd hate to see another fiasco like Melbourne.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1249350)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
As long as it rains in the race as well, it could be really exciting. Hopefully it will either be wet in the race and at least 1 qualifying session, or dry all weekend - I'd hate to see another fiasco like Melbourne.
And therein lies the problem,if it rains on the Saturday again like it did in Melbourne we'll have another fiasco.If it rains uniformly throughout 1st qually then that's fine,but when does it ever do that?

Last edited by Marbot; 11 Mar 2005 at 11:16.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1249363)   #6
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it rains for the race to "spice" things up.... it also shows the drivers able to handle the cars in the wet.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1249370)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Makes a change to last year when we had approximately 0 wet races.

Weather for Sepang looks dodgy, thunderstorms all over the place...
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1249372)   #8
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Setantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it rains, if it rains. As the great MW once said "If is F1 spelt backwards". But then again he also said: "There's nothing wrong with the car except that its on fire"
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1249374)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He also said, "It's raining! That means the track will get wet."
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1249377)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setantra
If it rains, if it rains. As the great MW once said "If is F1 spelt backwards". But then again he also said: "There's nothing wrong with the car except that its on fire"
If it's on fire and it's raining,no worries.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1249381)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
It seems ridiculous that we have to do that to find out which is truly the fastest car/driver/tyre conbination.But i guess it's what happens in the race that is most important.

Regardless of the qualifying system, you'd need a dry session to draw those conclusions.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1249413)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Regardless of the qualifying system, you'd need a dry session to draw those conclusions.
In the prevous free-for-all sessions of a few years back it was possible for all the cars to go out on track before it rained or after it had dried out.Even with 12 lap qually this was possible.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1249458)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it was, but we still got "lucky" grids from time to time.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1249464)   #14
rameire
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin, Rep of Ireland
rameire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rain adds fun,
I liked what happened in the Qual. in Aussie Land.
I want to see the starting grid different to last years, and if rain helps, then so be it.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1249467)   #15
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
This may spice up the races,but will it make a mockery of qually again?
i'd argue that if it makes a mockery of qualifying, it also makes a mockery of the races. imho.

other than that...i'm speechless.

Last edited by kdr; 11 Mar 2005 at 13:17.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1249593)   #16
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last time there was rain during a race (as far as I can remember) was in Indy 2003...it was great fun....MS displayed his super-wet driving skills to notch up a victory....would be interesting to watch a wet race, but at Sepang with the temp curently ranging bt 35-40, mixed with rain is going to make the weather very humid;

Other than Karthikeyan, I doubt other drivers wud be able to cope with that kind of a weather...Having said that, Karthikeyan is no Fisi to notch up a victory like in Brazil...so it looks like it is going to be an interesting race...hope the qualifyin does not turn out to be a fiasco like in M'bourne
Old 11 Mar 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1249656)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about making the tracks artificially wet such as was suggested a few years back?
Old 11 Mar 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1249661)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"artificial" - that's the word I hate the most in all this.

I love the occasional wet race or weather-hit quali session - it can be a truly randomising factor to mix up the grid and the race and see how drivers perform in unfamiliar positions/conditions.

What I hate is any attempt to artificially introduce that random element. It makes a mockery of the 'pinnacle of motorsport'.

Last edited by garcon; 11 Mar 2005 at 15:42. Reason: dodgy keyboard...ist
Old 11 Mar 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1249664)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet this is what the FIA have been trying for the past several years - qualifying changes, supposed 'safety'-based rule changes to the cars...all misguided, artificial efforts to produce an F1 that some think-tank full of suits believes the little people will enjoy watching.

It's quite embarassing to watch them, really.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1249698)   #20
Tylerfan
Rookie

Tylerfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This unpredictible with the weather is really what makes us "cry" or "sing in the rain" over our sport.
I hate when "my" driver is trubled but are happy when some one else is having problems.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1249751)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It rained last Brazil 2004.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1249791)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Yes it was, but we still got "lucky" grids from time to time.
Not to the extent of the farces one-lap qualifying produces. Under a 1-hour session, if it rains after 5 minutes, everyone has had a chance to get a lap in before it rains, and everyone had the chance to pre-empt what the weather was going to do. If the 1-hour system had been running in Australia, there would've been a 10 minute window to set an unimpeded lap (which Fisichella took and JV wasted), with a gradual improvement in lap time during the first half-hour. That's excitement, it's sport, and it's rational.

Telling people that they have to go out in a thunderstorm is not sport. Every other series switches to a 1-hour session when it's raining, even World Superbikes which practically invented the Superpole format. Are Max and Bernie really so stupid as to not realise that we don't want 'artificial' or 'farcicial'; we want cars that can race each other and overtake each other.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1250793)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sepang Weather - Thunderclouds gather...

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/MYXX0031.html

It seems as though we might be in for another wet weekend, can't say im pleased about it though.
Strange, I used to really enjoy wet races, until Bridgestone dominated every single one.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1250865)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Only 20% chance of rain Fri,Sat,and Sunday but very high temps.

Oooh what a scorcher!